Aussies Living Simply

Garlic

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    PlottalotPlottalot

Hi Gardeners one and all was having a discussion with the little lady over dinner last night, and talking about my vege plot at work and how i had planted some Garlic upside down. And question was raised what is the whole bulbous part of Garlic actually called ? The seperate pieces are obviously called cloves but what is the entire bunch called ??? cheers people P.S I thought a knob ??? :shrug:

SilentSilent

It’s called a bulb

mauzimauzi

Hi, Chef hubby says it is called a bulb and that a knob is someone who lives in Double Bay or Toorak 😀 D

PlottalotPlottalot

Lmao thats funny thnx

anttam8anttam8

I think it’s called a head of garlic.

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

:laugh: :laugh:

I call it a bulb

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I call it a bulb too 🙂

BelBel

I call it a head too

porgeyporgey

Bulb!

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I find this quite amusing, I have never heard of a bulb of garlic being called a head before …

LeeAndJLeeAndJ

I think it is a bulb when it is in the garden, and a head when it is in the kitchen 😉

SilentSilent

LeeAndJ post=320843 wrote: I think it is a bulb when it is in the garden, and a head when it is in the kitchen 😉

Odd, I would have thought it would be ahead in the garden and be behind when it gets to the kitchen not the other way around. :woohoo:

I have no idea what they are called in popular parlance but anatomically, it is a bulb. A “head of garlic” does sound very familiar and seems more natural/sensible.

lavmanlavman

It’s a bulb which is made up of cloves, with some varities the bulbs can have twenty or more cloves while other varities may only have three or four large cloves, the giant russian garlic sometimes doesn’t divide into cloves and looks a bit like an onion, these are called rounds.

I have never heard of them being referred to as heads, a head is usually referring to the top of the plant, like cabbage, lettuce, cauliflower, wheat etc etc, but then again if it was planted upside down, thats a different story. :S

veggie boyveggie boy

I call mine bloody beautiful :tup:

BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

Bulb

Happy day,

Bobbs :hug: :hug: :hug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.