Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Gardening (and simple living) magazines, what do you read and why?

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Gardening (and simple living) magazines, what do you read and why?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    VanessaVanessa

I have been buying Organic Gardener Magazine for a while now, and after flicking trough the latest issue, I am very disappointed with the amount of advertising and the lack of “substance”. Not sure if this has changed or if the “substance” part is just becoming less interesting to me.

I did see another magazine while I was in the newsagency called “Home Grown Magazine”, it seems to be fairly new but seemed to have a fair variety of “substance” to it, looks like it could be interesting. http://www.homegrownmagazine.com.au/

Then I also saw that Earth Garden has changed their format.

What gaedening/simple living magazines do you read and why?

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

I subscribe to Gardening Australia, Organic Gardener and Warm Earth but I doubt I will renew them when they expire. I find I don’t read them anymore and when I do I just flick through them.

I am interested in the new Pip – Australian Permaculture Magazine that is about to be released. It sounds like it will be more hands on and they claim it will be Australia’s only true permaculture magazine.

VanessaVanessa

Yes I have seen a bit about Pip, haven’t really looked into it much

BelBel

I used to get Warm Earth, Grass Roots, OG and others I can’t remember the name of now. I stopped reading all of them because after a while it’s much the same content rehashed over again. I also find Gardening on TV has become very repetitive and if I see one more Q & A segment about ‘Why are my Lemon Tree Leaves Yellow?’ I think I’ll go mad! We subscribe to Warm Earth ‘Snips n Tips’ via email which is good – free and you pick up a few little tips.

dierichdierich
    Participant

I found out the other week that through my library I can get some magazines through Zinio – including Gardening Australia, but not Organic Gardener. Perfect timing as my subs were about due and I was debating whether or not to go for another year. Now I can download it as soon as its available for free. I agree that it does seem to be the same articles year on year!

I also get Mother Earth (US mag) through Zinio, I think about $12 a year. Again, advertising which isn’t much use here, but they do have some different articles to what we see in our usual mags.

Also keen to check out PIP when its released.

SnagsSnags

I have flick through what ever the library has.(pretty good choice)

I also bought heaps of old mags from another library that they where getting rid of for a few dollars.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

I don’t buy magazines because I’m too much of a frugalista (read tight arse). If I need info on gardening or living simple I read blogs and websites. There are stacks out there.

For example:www.down—to—earth.blogspot.com

GirlFridayGirlFriday

I traded Fly Buys points for a subscription to Better Homes and Gardens- what an utter waste of paper that one is. Chock full of advertising and very light on content :angry: .

I have a subscription to Earth Garden- I am really disappointed in their new format which seems a lot more yuppie and full of advertising- look at the back cover for instance, :shrug: I am too busy buying hay, water and trying to grow veges to spend $350 on a coat! They seem to be aiming for a more well heeled set than the back-to-the-land person trying to do lots with next to no income.

Grass Roots magazine remains my favourite as I feel it is written and read by people who wouldnt look at me weird if we ever struck up a conversation :blush: however I too am keen to see the PIP magazine when it comes out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.