Aussies Living Simply

Garden Ready

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    lollie3lollie3

The last couple of days I have been busy digging up the garden ready for planting. Just wondering what I can plant down here in Adelaide I am in the southern suburbs. I will be ordering the seeds tomorrow from the Lost Seed company

lollie3lollie3

Forgot to add I want to keep my vegie patch as organic and I possibly can

lisannelisanne

Check out the planting guides and subscribe to the monthly planting reminder emails at Gardenate – http://www.gardenate.com/

BelBel

Not too much, unfortunately. The hottest months are yet to come. You could try beans, lettuces (open hearted), carrots, beetroot and maybe some late tomatoes. Some leafy greens might go ok. Asian greens will bolt straight away in the heat though. Things like capsicums/eggplant and other longer growing veg won’t develop quick enough now. Zucchini/squash would probably be ok as they grow quickly and like the heat. Look at the maturity dates on the seeds you order – you need fast growing summer veg. Oh, cucumbers might go ok. I wish I had gone with the Sumo Long variety again this season – they were amazing!! Also basil would be good :tup:

lollie3lollie3

thanks ppl. I planted some carrot seedlings not so long ago but with the heat wave we had not long after I lost the lot the poor little things

lollie3lollie3

Well was finally able to plant out some seedling in the last couple of days, the Iceberg Lettuce seedlings went out yesterday but not sure if they will live and also planted some Golden Bantam Corn seeds as well, the Tommy Toe tomatoes went out this morning so did the carrot seedlings.

Hi Lollie3, i wouldnt normally plant carrot seedlings, they dont transplant very well. It is much better to use seed for any root vegetable as it doesnt take much to damage the root when transplanting. I planted corn last weekend and it is poking out of the ground today.

good luck

BlueWrenBlueWren

Re lettuce. As Bel said,you may have more luck with varieties such as oak leaf types that don’t have a heart, as does Iceburg.With fast growing open hearted kinds you just harvest the outside leaves as you need them, and they keep on growing from the centre.Hope it goes well for you .You might want to try wicking beds for the summer.They have a permanent water supply underneath.There’s a couple of current threads on here about them.

lollie3lollie3

I only started the carrots off in a seed tray they seeds are so fine then the crawlies(ants) take off with them.

lollie3lollie3

I will keep tring with them here see how I go I never give up tring until I know its the seeds. I have had issues with seeds once before.

lollie3lollie3

Just been back out into the garden and planted some bean seeds, the seeds I used my fiance’s dad grew them and has been saving the seeds each season for the last 10yrs that I know of, they are the runner variety Purple and green. We had some planted last yr but we did not get enough of a crop, IMO there was not enough planted but that is just me, I have planted more though it is probably getting to the end of the season for runner beans so I may have to start looking at planting bush beans very soon.

AllyEJAllyEJ

Curious to see how you go with your Iceberg lettuce.

AllyEJAllyEJ

I wonder if they are the Rattlesnake bean variety? They normally mature in approximately 4 months.

lollie3lollie3

Don’t think they are the rattlesnake variety.

AllyEJAllyEJ

No worries. Just thought they may of been after I read your description. Lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.