Aussies Living Simply

fruit trees

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jenoka77

Hi everyone, as stated before I’m very new to this. I have started sorting out my flock of chickens and ducks. I have the vegie garden started with winter vegies such as garlic onions raddish beetroot broc cabbage and spinach. I have a bed sorted for strawberries and blueberries. Now my next task is an asparagus andd dwarf fruit tree bed. I’m in a cool mountains climate. A valley just at the end of the blue mountains. What fruit trees should I grow. I was thinking lemon lime cherry plum fig and apple. Any suggestions.

kerrieb

Plum, fig, cherry, apple probably Ok. Most stone fruit and pears as well could be doable. ? on the frost in the area. If you have heavy frost the citrus might struggle especially the lime.

Mukluk
    Participant

We have an orchard here with most types of cold climate trees. Fruit fly is terrible here, as is coddling moth, and pruning takes me weeks due to the large number and poor layout of the trees. We have frost here, citrus do not do terribly well unless you protect them. Even then they get a lot of pests as the trees are not strong enough to fend them off. I think over the next few years all my citrus may well die off, I am not terribly bothered by that.

I have been told that cherries and plums need another variety to pollinate them. I can’t speak from experience though as I have always had multiple types or been close to neighbours who have other types growing that would have pollinated mine.

Sometimes it is nice to grow a few things you can not get in the shops (as well as some things that you can such as apples and figs). I would start with easy to grow trees that give a lot of fruit with not too much effort on your side.

How about a mulberry tree? Even though white mulberry trees normally grow dark fruit there are white fruiting ones around, and there are also dwarf ones and weeping ones which look nice and are easy to harvest. They are delicious and you can not get the fruit from the shops as it does not store or transport well.

Quince is another one I would consider. The tree is absolutely beautiful to look at, the flowers smell fantastic, the fruit is amazing, and out here we do not see them in shops.

Apricots from a home tree are amazing, nothing like the store bought ones as you pick them when they are ripe. Come to think of it some varieties of peach are amazing when home grown (others are not much better than from the shops).

Even if you do not go with any of my suggestions I wish you luck. Whatever you decide on I say go with it, people like me are offering suggestions, you have nothing much to lose by trying something else. Make sure you research whatever varieties of trees you get and they should reward you well.

mauzi

When you are purchasing trees, it is a good idea to get late producing trees if you are in a frost area. Early flowering varieties (particularly with apricots) may have trouble producing fruit due to the buds being burnt with frost. That is true of many varieties of fruit trees, so worth a thought. A good nursery or provider will know which trees do better in frost prone areas. Pears and Nashi could be added to the list as well as those mentioned in other posts.

Judi B
    Keymaster

We get some savage frosts here -15°C the coldest but this year has been very mild so far, I have apples, apricots, plums, figs, elderberry, loquat, mulberries, carob only male trees so far, peach, and citrus don’t tell my trees that they don’t like frost lemon, grapefruit, mandarins, orange and kumquat.

porgey

I get a lot of my fruit trees mail order from Woodbridge Fruit Trees in Tassie. I have had no problems at all with them but the one addition I strongly suggest is an Anzac Peach from Diggers seeds, also available mail order. I planted it as a 450mm high whip in october ’09 and after removing all the fruit in ’10 the fruit last summer was prolific and the best I have ever tasted, it was a PEACH. I was pleasently surprised at how quickly & strongly it grew and was oh so Juicy and full of flavour – would love another one to extend the harvest. I have no problem with frost here but you may have to watch for that.

kerrieb

Porgey if you like peaches get an old Golden Queen they are much, much later than the rest of them to harvest. Of course they are clingstone and actually for preserving but they are very nice picked ripe off the tree.

Snags

Walnuts should grow there and chestnuts you cant beat a home grown apricot(Moorpark),fig or a blood plum (Mariposa).

Get an old variety of white peach (Anzac??) and nectarine (goldmine??) not the hybridised ones they sell at coles and woolies they just have this generic sweetness with no intense perfume.(obviously lots of shelf life)

have a look at a flemmings brochure

http://www.flemings.com.au/fruiting.asp

I spent months planning my orchard in Melbourne so I had fruit with taste over a longest period possible

look here too

http://www.yalcafruittrees.com.au/livecatalogue.htm

Jenoka77

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have been reading them on my phones email but it would not let me reply :shrug: Im not good with technology. Since today is my day off i found the PC and found this thread :woohoo: so now i can thank you all very much. Short but sweet now its time to go deal with a lice infestation. :sick: have a great day All

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.