Aussies Living Simply

Fruit Tree tasks over winter?

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    kerrieb

I need to tidy up a few things but I’ve mostly gone to summer pruning now. The citrus and bay tree for that matter I must white oil as they have become heavily infested with scale. And I need to watch the stone fruit in a while to spray before bud burst as curly leaf can be a major problem here.

karyn26

I do the same as bobbee re-curl leaf just pull off the affected leaves as they show up.My orchard is only a baby too,though I do have a big nectarine tree and I pull off what I can reach.These leaves then go in the bin.

I’m hoping the fruit fly go past here this year.

fruitful

This is what I came across in the Green Harvest literature I got with my seed order:

“if your peach or nectarine trees had peach-leaf curl last year, they will need to be sprayed with Lime Sulphur before the buds swell. Once fruit have formed, thin fruit to one peach per node and bag the fruit with fruit protection bags or mesh sleeves to protect from fruit fly”

for citrus who are hungry feeders

“blood and bone contains mainly nitrogen and phosphorus: boost it into a more ‘complete’ fertiliser by adding a 1/4 cup of sulphate of potash to every kilo of blood and bone. remember to regularly water from flower bud formation through to fruit set to retain a good crop”

and

“remember never to apply lime at the same time as fertilisers as this leads to a loss of nitrogen, caused by it converting to ammonia and off-gassing. allow 3 weeks between liming and fertiliser applications. never add lime to a compost heap as this also leads to a large loss of nutrient into the atmosphere.”

also a tip for tomatoes

“when it is time to transplant, plant the seedlings deeper, first removing the seed leaves and planting up to the 1t set of true leaves. this deepens the extent of the root area and speeds maturity.”

all I can gather for stone fruit is to feed with a seaweed fertiliser and to grow green manures or cover crops underneath. The first year we were here I covered the ground under the trees with cardboard and heaped straw/pine needles and whatever else I could scrounge and watered them regularly with water I collected from our household use (bath water, rinse water etc) and we had a good crop. Last year I neglected the trees and we had a very poor crop. This year, I have sourced horse poo and will be loading that under all the trees we have (I’m letting it mature inside cut down rainwater tank sections for a few months first) and I will also plant green manures over the summer months and water again with all harvested household water. Hopefully this will give us a good crop again!!

gypsyoak

fruitful post=346247 wrote: This is what I came across in the Green Harvest literature I got with my seed order:

“remember never to apply lime at the same time as fertilisers as this leads to a loss of nitrogen, caused by it converting to ammonia and off-gassing. allow 3 weeks between liming and fertiliser applications. never add lime to a compost heap as this also leads to a large loss of nutrient into the atmosphere.”

so how is it meant to work in a chook yard then? :shrug:

Judi B
    Keymaster

I’ve been catching up on feeding, pruning and weeding around the fruit trees. I think I have just wasted the fertiliser as it has been raining and I think it has all washed away, the trees haven’t had much fertiliser in the past 18 months.

df418

Looks like winter is over here

Peach Blossom

Asparagus

Looks like I missed the pruning window

Attached files

Judi B
    Keymaster

df418 post=346280 wrote: Looks like winter is over here

I’m still waiting for the start of our usual Winter, haven’t had the usual number of frosts and so far the ones we’ve had are mild… spring bulbs are flowering, peach and plum have flowers and the apple trees still have leaves.

fruitful

gypsyoak,

I’m assuming that when they mean fertiliser, they mean when you physically go and put on wheelbarrow loads of aged manure. the general ‘pooping’ of chooks in a contained area will be spread out and not counted as “fertiliasing”. The recommended rate of “fertiliser” was (from memory) around 4kg for a 1 year old tree and 20kg for a 4 year old tree – you get the idea?? my apologies for not including the rates in the original post.

gypsyoak

ahhh ok that makes sense! :kiss:

fruitful

Judi B,

We too still have leaves on our apple trees, I noticed there were some bulbs flowering in our driveway today and the almonds are budding, seems everything is mixed up?!? It’s blowing a freezing wind here today and I suspect we will still have some killer frosts yet to come.

Judi B
    Keymaster

Everything is confused here even us, the daffodils are just breaking the soil but the jonquils are just about finished flowering, the mulberries are just about to break bud but there is still 2 months before we can safely say no more frost.

vaughano

For those people thinking of grafting deciduous fruit trees, now is the time to collect your scion wood.

Pick wood that has grown this year, and keep it in the fridge in a plastic bag. Leave it there until the trees you want to graft onto are just starting to show some life in spring.

Kristy

Quick question I didn’t get around to spraying for curly leaf, and now nectarine tree is completely covered in it. What do I do? If I picked it all off there won’t be any leaves left. Learnt that lesson 🙁 don’t put things off…

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.