Aussies Living Simply

Fruit or non fruiting plants

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Permaculture Principles Fruit or non fruiting plants

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nick Carroll

Hey all

Down the west side of our suburban house there is a 1.8 meter wide by 8 meter strip which I keep thinking about planting out. With plants that would provide shade to the house from the hot sun in the west and possible eases the sw winds. Our neighbours have a unit with a count yard so it would also provide privacy for them and us.

We need to access service down that side of the house – hot water. Solar etc

one option is dwarf apple trees but I’m concerned that might make it hard to walk down the side of the house. But I like the fact we would have more home grown apples, we go through about 20 small apples a week!

Clumping bamboo maybe another option, giving us garden stakes etc.

My question is what would you suggest I plant?

Thanks

Nick

Snags

Whats your climate?

Nick Carroll

We live in geelong. So on the coast and I think it’s between temparent and sub tropical. We have about 250mm of rain a year. There are about 5 dwarf tree already in the garden doing well plus a fig. 3 plums, 2 pears, a babico, 2 peaches, 2 x nectarines, 3 olives, 2 x apricots, a fejoa, a pomegranate. 3 large and 3 young tamarillo’s, 2 x lemons, 2 x orange, 1 x blond orange, a mandarin, a black current and a armond.

Would also like to plant a mulberry down the side of the house but our neigbour are elderly and I don’t want to make a mess of their yard.

Snags

Have you got enough room and light to espalier a few fruit trees on the fence line.

Passionfruit on a trellis or grapevines would be another option.

Or Chokos if you are a fan.

earthwalker
    Participant

Snags idea of an espalier/vine is a good one. If you need to access the services you don’t want to have to hack through with a machete to get in there for repairs etc. On the western side of our house we brick-paved and have our para-lines there for the washing. I did plant a clumping bamboo next to the fence (most useful) and a climbing rose. I love it, but it grew into an absolute giant…it does a great job of camouflaging the ugly side of our neighbours house and they won’t repair a collapsed retaining wall, so it does support the fence. Never thought that delicate little Cecile Brunner would grow into such a monster of a thing. Just make sure there is no potential for rats to use it as an easy way into your roof (ask me how I know 🙁 )

Nick Carroll

Yep espalier is a good idea. I have tried it once before and killed the apple tree! Maybe time to start again.

I hadn’t thought of rats getting into the roof, maybe I’ll plant bamboo at the front of the house.

Thanks

Nick Carroll

I’ve ordered 4 drawf apple tres for the side of the west side of the house. This should provide fruit and screen some of the intense west sun from the kitchen window and side of the house. Plus I love the idea if doing the dishes and watching the apples trees grow, fruit and change.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.