Aussies Living Simply

Frugal living in Townsville

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Living within your means Frugal living in Townsville

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    XDiggerXDigger

We recently moved from Sydney to Townsville.

I miss ALDI and was wondering if anybody had any tips on where to find the best bargains on food in Townsville. I am particularly keen to get locally grown (preferably organic) fruit and vegetables however it appears to be difficult.

My Wife and have wandered through the Sunday morning markets at the Willows however it all appears to be comercially grown and/or imported produce…. If I want to eat that stuff I can more easily go down to the Nearest Woolies.

We have recently found the Amaze Inn Meats behind Sunland Plaza for meat and find it to be good value a lot of the time.

If anyone from Townsville has any secrets they feel like sharing with us it would be appreciated.

jaymesjaymes

hmmm, I haven’t managed to find any stuff like that here yet (but I haven’t really been looking, just not buying 😉 )

I’ll be interested in this too.

I know there is an organic buyers network that emails price lists…

http://www.organicbuyers.com/

which area of town are you in?

harry_newittharry_newitt

Nicholsons Fruit Shop at Wulguru has a large range of local produce(fruit & Vegs) at reasonable prices. The butcher next door is also worth a visit.

Frozen goat at showgrounds markets on Sundays & a nice lady in the southern end of the mall selling tropical/exocitic fruit on Sun

LeeLee

If you live up my way (bluewater) a fellow has a seasonal market every Saturday Morning at the store. He grows it on the bank of Bluewater. Except the apples, poatatoes, onions. all rest is his, the lettuce, beans, tomatoes, etc are all yummy.

fleaflea

The uni is about to start up a fresh fruit and veg market on wednesdays (don’t know anymore details sorry). Otherwise there’s the Hammett St Fruit and Veg store in Curragong- open seven days- but saturday mornings are the best time to go. There’s are really weird (but very good) deli in Palmer St- almost like being back in the big smoke. Otherwise both the city and the showground sunday markets have locally grown stuff- but also off the truck stuff so you have to be selective.

Vanessa

XDiggerXDigger

Thanks for the tips, I’m in Kirwan.

Will check out some of the suggestions if/when I am able to.

frogfriendlyfrogfriendly

I try and do most of my fruit and vege shopping at willows markets. There are some locals selling there including a very nice lady from Thailand who grows great Asian vegies. Plus a few people who grow on the Tablelands and sell here and some are organic, you just have to look and ask.

jaymesjaymes

Cotters Markets on Sunday in the Mall has local growers, well from the Bowen area 😉

The goat folks at the Showgrounds are from Charters Towers from memory.

jacrossjacross

Blue water Organics is an organic shop on Thuringowa Road – near the Amcal Chemist. they have a good range of organic stuff. Their fruit and vege come in on Wednesdays. they can be a bit exxy but have goat, chicken, duck etc.

DepomeDepome

I haven’t done for a while, but for over two years we bought all of our food from Organic Buyers, at the link Jaymie posted. They’re great 🙂

missy71missy71

My neighbour has the butcher shop at the Upper Ross (Ross Butchery) so we get all our meat from him. But, on the road to there, Riverway Dve (it used to be Upper Ross River Rd still they got all posh) on the river side of the road, there is a man with a blue ute selling really cheap fruit and vegies. He is really lovely and helpful. :tup:

Also, we sometimes go to Hammet St on Saturday morning for bulk buy stuff – they also sell Mungalli Creek stuff and have a lovely little range of imported Italian goods. Their salamis are to die for!

I’ve been thinking about going back to the Showgrounds Markets. I’ve heard they’ve really cleaned up their act, so I have to see for myself.

We mostly get our bulk tomatoes from Bowen when we visit family or when they come down. But that is only when I’m planning to do a big batch of pasta sauce or something. They are straight from the farm – seconds but who cares about what they look!

jacrossjacross

There is an awesome fruit and vege guy on saturday mornings at Bluewater Mobil. Everything is picked the day before and is vely and fresh. He is also really well priced. I make the drive from Annandale to Bluewater for his stuf.

bplumbplum

I use Willows markets – many stallholders sell their own seasonal produce. Can also recommend the Thai lady with her asian veges, also Adrian for local tomatos, cucumber, eggplant, parsley & basil. Many only sell 2 or 3 lines, so its easy to pick the ‘local’. I use the ‘commercial’ stalls for items that can’t be grown here and they are much cheaper than the supermarket (parsnip $5kg cf $12 at Woollies!). Eggs & honey are also cheaper & locally produced.

as per Missy71 recommendation – Roy in the blue ute on (ahem) Upper Ross River Rd sells inexpensive produce that is sourced locally & usually organic.

For nuts, grains, pulses, herbs, spices, fruit & veg that is well priced, the Asian grocery on Ross River Road Aitkenvale (opp the BP) is excellent value. They also sell locally made tofu. I have realised over the past few months that my supermarket shopping has reduced to less than $100 fortnight . . . i do still get meat there when on special.

missy71missy71

jacross, do you know the times the man at the bluewater mobil is there from and til? i wouldn’t mind checking him out.

bplum, is the asian grocer the same one as on charters towers road, opposite the old pizza hut? i went to the c/t rd one once and they didn’t have a big variety. but there is one at the iga complex on bamford lane and they have really good stuff. i think the iga undercut them on some things but they have good asian greens there. :tup:

also, does anyone know where the bulk buy shop has gone that used to be next door to the marine shop on r/river rd – near hungry jacks? you used to take in containers and buy cleaners, and stuff, by the kilo.

bplumbplum

Missy71, the Asian Grocer on RRRd is (near Anne St intersection) is a different owner than the CT rd shop, much better range & often sell home made things too (banana rice rolls wrapped in leaves – yum!). very friendly & helpful people. The Bamford lane one is good too. Cant help you with the bulk buy shop – sorry!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.