Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Frugal February

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Somehow February seems like the month we all get stuck into our regular lives, and often the Christmas and holiday period has left us with less $$ than we would like.

Seems like a good time to get back into ‘extreme frugality’!

I am writing a blog about my weeks in February, trying to ‘go further’ down the road of spending less, doing more anyway.

http://earthmotherwithin.blogspot.com.au/

I would love to get your ideas about what else I could do. I know the ALS family is pretty good at this extreme sport.

SnagsSnags

How will I be able to distinguish between frugal feb and frugal any other month? 😛

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Good point Snags! I know we ALSers are a pretty frugal bunch -some of necessity, some out of a strong sense of what works for us and this planet. For me, this Frugal February is about ‘going further’ and trying to examine what I do to see where there may be a chance to ‘go lower’ on expenses and do more with the $$ I have.

I have to get our living expenses down if I am to save money for a trip to the grand child who lives far away, so I guess I am extra motivated.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I get my first proper pay cheque on thursday since the week before christmas, and I cannot wait 😆

I dont know if I call myself frugal, just very careful, I always have 6 to 8 weeks with no pay at christmas time so I have lots of planning during the year

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Wow, froot_lopz, that would take some planning for! How do you do that?

jaden62jaden62

Hubby always swears I can “squeeze a nickel ’til Lincoln screams” (forgive him, he’s American… :laugh: ), but at the moment, with him trying to start a new business (http://www.leatherforge.com.au/), he’s on new medication & I’m broken (rotator cuff surgery), we’re strapped & spending more than I’d like. 🙁

Not helped by the fact that I can’t garden atm, & the damn possums/rats have finally discovered the tomato plants that they didn’t previously know about.

Hopefully things will pick up in a couple of months, & I’ll be able to find stuff to make a kind of “aviary” to plant a garden in, & keep the dang critters out of my produce!!

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

While I say no pay, I do get austudy, but its not the same as the pay cheque, I get fortnightly. I pay all my bills ahead, so come december Im ahead, I pop my mortgage back to half payments because Im ahead.

We then live with the bare basics over the christmas break, eat as much as possible out of the garden. Feed the chookens and mr wabbit from the garden as much as possible too, I ask for bunnings cards as gifts throughout the year so I can get what I need from there over the christmas break too

so thats why I can not wait for my pay to hit my bank account, I will splurge this one, the boy needs new school pants, and Im desperately need a haircut (ive been doing the ponytail haircut on myself for the last few years) and I will go do a decent food shops for the first time in months 😀

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

how long till you can use the arm Jaden?

jaden62jaden62

No driving for 8wks (another 5wks). Physio read me the riot act yesterday because I haven’t always been wearing the sling. The surgeon told me it will probably be about 6mths until I’ve got full use of it again. I just want to be out of the sling & able to actually use my arm (even if it’s not fully), rather than having almost no control over it :S

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Jaden62, your story highlights how much we can save by doing things for ourselves. When we are injured or sick, there is a big difference in how much of the frugal living becomes possible!

Hope you get through this time!

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

froot_loopz, that is a good idea about asking for Bunnings cards as gifts! We spend quite a bit there, between necessary house repairs and gardening supplies.

I can’t fit chickens in my small suburban garden, but it would be nice to have the eggs and I can see how they would really help in the lean times.

I am growing my hair as I don’t want to keep spending money on haircuts. I got a complement today so perhaps it doesn’t look as bad as I think!

earthwalkerearthwalker
    Participant

Froot-Loopz I salute you. Hope all the study and hard work eventually results in a little extra in the kitty. Get well soon Jaden62…it’s amazing how an injury/disability can impact on everything.

As for haircuts….well I haven’t been to a hairdresser in about 17 years. I wear it short with a wispy fringe and I haven’t dyed it for around 20 years. My secret is a good set of hairclippers and a husband with a steady hand and a good eye. He does everything but the fringe (I manage that with a few tips I got years ago from my late Nan who was a hairdresser). I often get compliments and am asked who does my hair….when I say “my husband” they ask for his card. Cracks me up everytime. As for the colour…I am almost entirely white at the front, and the rest heavy on the salt and light on the pepper. Because it is so short, I just need a towel dry and an organise with the fingers, so no hairdryer, no brush, no comb. If I’m going out/special occasion I sometimes use a hair gel/mousse, but that’s the only concession.

My husband doesn’t get his done professionally either. He hasn’t got much left, so I do it with the clippers, or sometimes I shave the lot, depends if he fancies a change.

I still wear makeup, but only buy when discounted or request some as gifts. Same with clothes and shoes – all op-shop finds. The only thing I buy new is underwear.

Amazing how much hair/clothes/shoes can eat into a budget. You can still look good and feel a bit special and be frugal too.

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

Shoes are exxy if you need orthotics or other special fittings. I have to buy special shoes, so I try very hard to rotate the wear, to keep them in good order and to get them repaired at an early stage.

One set of shoes has had new heels put on -but now one of them makes an audible clicking noise in the quiet of our office! Step, click, step, click ….I am learning to tiptoe! LOL

Eira ClaptonEira Clapton
    Participant

So it is Valentine’s day. As usual I have managed to have a great day without spending a cent! MY DH and I gave each other home made greetings, then I went to the garden and picked some roses, added a bit of ribbon I already had and a little sign and here it is:

missy71missy71

We saved for the past two years to do a big US holiday and now that we are home we are back to saving for future renovations around the house. I’m trying to be very frugal at the moment because I’m not currently working (I work casually in school terms and this is a slow time of year for me) and DH’s overtime hours have been drastically cut (we depend a lot of overtime for the ‘extras’ in life). The only thing I’m not being good at at the moment is on the grocery bill – my kids have had growth spurts at the same time I think, they’re eating me out of house and home :pinch:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.