Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Foraging for edible seaweed ???????

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Foraging for edible seaweed ???????

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    earthworm42earthworm42

Hi

i live on the mornington Peninsula Victoria and been using seaweed on the garden for years as a mulch.

im now wondering if anyone has any tips for the edible types of seaweed as i understand its delicious and very nutritious.

i understand sea lettuce is very good and i’m sure it grows on the rocks.

if anyone goes foraging near rosebud i would love to tag along.

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

🙂

EW42

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I love eating seaweed and would find it fascinating to one day go on a seaweed hunt. Keep us posted of your adventures EW42 .. :tup:

You probably have enough info on hand, but here is an interesting site.

http://www.seaweed.ie/index.php

BronBron

Oh, my, I love seaweed!! Dulse flakes in particular. WIsh you luck on your hunt 🙂

trandtotrandto

earthworm42 post=359862 wrote: Hi

i live on the mornington Peninsula Victoria and been using seaweed on the garden for years as a mulch.

Do you need to do anything to it before use ?

Can you make Liquid Fertilisers out them, if so how ? much like you would with Comfrey ?

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

trandto post=360018 wrote:

Hi

Do you need to do anything to it before use ?

Can you make Liquid Fertilisers out them, if so how ? much like you would with Comfrey ?

When I make seaweed fert, I make it much the same as comfrey tea, although it does require a fair bit of rinsing to get as much salt off as possible.I have also put rinsed seaweed straight on the garden as mulch & added it to the compost.

slowlynowslowlynow

Ironically been down the morning and had a peck at a couple of my favorite seaweeds! Neptunes Necklace, when young/ small and Sea Lettuce are both quite palatable straight from the water.

One of the River Cottage Oz episodes had them eating seaweed and also pickilng it to make a salad of sorts, will have to try this me thinks!

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

slowlynow post=360038 wrote: Ironically been down the morning and had a peck at a couple of my favorite seaweeds! Neptunes Necklace, when young/ small and Sea Lettuce are both quite palatable straight from the water.

One of the River Cottage Oz episodes had them eating seaweed and also pickilng it to make a salad of sorts, will have to try this me thinks!

I am never 100% sure of the seaweed I find on the beach, so have never been game to eat it..

I make a seaweed kimchi, with wakame, it’s very nice 🙂

earthworm42earthworm42

Hi,

when i use as a fert i simply rinse in a tub of water (old kiddies plastic shell thingy) for an hour or so then i ether put in a barrel and fill with water for liquid brew or hang to dry for a few days to let go crispy. that i use as mulch.

been out and got i little bit but no lettuce very disapointing.

will post pics as i progress

EW42 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.