Aussies Living Simply

Food Scraps To Be Banned From Rubbish Bins

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Food Scraps To Be Banned From Rubbish Bins

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    mistyhollowsmistyhollows

I totally agree with composting and we do this ourselves but perhaps if Council’s have an issue with the amount of landfill going on they need to look at the packaging processed food comes in. The amount of landfill that is used up by plastic packaging must be immense. If they were able to change this to a paper product or something recyclable like they now do for some plastic shopping bags (and yes I know there are food storage issues there) it would save so much land fill space if we could recycle in our homes the packaging our foods come in. We only have our standard garbage and recycle bins here no green waste bin. That’s my compost bin 🙂 . Perhaps Councils could provide bokashi bins to those in units and either worm farms or compost bins to houses. I know our Council the Shoalhaven runs a compost workshop which if you attend you get a free compost bin from, it’s amazing how many people we know who have used this workshop to get a compost bin but there are many who are just too lazy to and couldn’t be bothered.

SonyaSonya

I ran a series of composting and worm farming workshops for our local council this year – it was to get putrescible waste out of bins and into compost bins and worm farms and as part of that I explained the whole methane part to the people who participated, it seemed to be something that really clicked with people.

In their climate change policy they have this as a key action to reduce the methane coming from their tips to reduce the overall regional amount of carbon emissions and also they are just plain out of space to put landfill.

I agree that they should make it really easy for people to do and they should give away bins and farms too – but I couldn’t talk them into it unfortunately, maybe this year.

They also have green waste bins available too.

Cheers,

Sonya

BelBel

Our council waste recycling is really good. We have 3 bins – regular waste, green waste and recycling. The list of stuff that can be recycled is huge. They will also collect E-waste if you order a collection, so that the stuff can be recycled. Our green waste bins can take anything organic. We were recently given free bio-bins and enough bio-bags for a year for free. We can collect the scraps in the bags and put them in our green waste bins for collection. They can even take meat and fish scraps which we can’t put in our compost. It’s pretty impressive the list of stuff they will collect and recycle. I use the biobags in our compost bins cos they make life easy and they were free. I can’t see why more councils don’t adopt a similar recycling system as ours – theoretically, nothing recyclable should be in the regular waste bins.

edensgateedensgate

Charging for rubbish removal by weight. Now there’s an idea!

StephanieStephanie

It is wonderful to be able to recycle most of your rubbish we are issued with a green waste a garbage and a recycle bin and the only bin that is usually full is the green bin which is at the moment full of thistle and fire weed as I cannot burn them and I need them, off the property to stop them setting seed slashing will chop off the flower heads but they just lie on the ground and still set seed and there are lots of areas where I can’t get the slasher. I aim is the eventually remove all these weeds from my 50 acres by hand but it is hard work. There is also the feeling that I pay such a high cost for the collections that I might as well use them. If i had the choice of paying for the service or no using and not paying I would probably opt for not paying.

lynnielynnie

In Germany you get fined if you put your rubbish in the wrong bin, they have one for kitchen scraps, plastic, paper etc and if you can’t be bothered they just keep fining you!!!

I think we should not put food scraps in the normal rubbish and yah yah for them fining us for doing it…

think its a good idea, boxing day i just about had conniptions as my cousin was so wasteful with throwing out a heap of food stuff, strait into the bin , i was , that would feed my dog tonight, (i mean it would have fed us too as there was nothing wrong with it but i didnt tell her that)…. … n she was oh well its in the bin now .. 🙁 even good lettuce and meats , i think its also to do with peoples Keeping things tidy nowadays, her kitchen and fridge were tidy after , but … soooo wastefull.

BlueWrenBlueWren

recyclingdiva post=299443 wrote: think its a good idea, boxing day i just about had conniptions as my cousin was so wasteful with throwing out a heap of food stuff, strait into the bin , i was , that would feed my dog tonight, (i mean it would have fed us too as there was nothing wrong with it but i didnt tell her that)…. … n she was oh well its in the bin now .. 🙁 even good lettuce and meats , i think its also to do with peoples Keeping things tidy nowadays, her kitchen and fridge were tidy after , but … soooo wastefull.

:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: that’s unbelievable! And there’s lots of people doing that?? Then bring on the fines , big time. Even better, bring on the fines and send the proceeds to World Vision and the like. Now I suppose I’m really dreaming…….

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

That’s shocking recyclingdiva, I know I had dh’s birthday party here a couple of days before Christmas and we had so much food left over I sent it all home with the guests :laugh: , they all got a doggy bag!! There was so much we just couldn’t eat it all and I therefore had minimal waste but our family has always worked this way, we ate leftovers for the next 2 days as it was.

It would be nice if they could fine them on wastage weight and then send the proceeds to someone like World Vision wouldn’t it BlueWren, it’s nice to dream and it may make some people realize how much they have and how little others do but I do think our greedy local govs would keep the fines for themselves.

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

recyclingdiva post=299443 wrote: think its a good idea, boxing day i just about had conniptions as my cousin was so wasteful with throwing out a heap of food stuff, strait into the bin , i was , that would feed my dog tonight, (i mean it would have fed us too as there was nothing wrong with it but i didnt tell her that)…. … n she was oh well its in the bin now .. 🙁 even good lettuce and meats , i think its also to do with peoples Keeping things tidy nowadays, her kitchen and fridge were tidy after , but … soooo wastefull.

I take it they don’t eat leftovers then

NimrodelNimrodel

Goulburn Shire Council have been doing a trial which I think ALL councils should do – they provided food waste bins and bio bags to households which then go in the green waste bins and is sorted out and composted. The compost can then be sold back to farmers to cover costs. Brilliant idea IMHO.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Not sure if it’s feasible in a small town (where I will eventually build/live) but I’ve heard of people who run a small business where they will go around and collect foodscraps from businesses (restaurants, hospitals, hotels etc) and compost it all in their ‘industrial’ worm farm.

They then sell on the worm wee and vermicast… even small wormfarms.

If it IS feasible, I’d like to consider this for extra pocket-money. 😉

SonyaSonya

There is a lot of this going – taking food scraps to another place and composting them, but the big issue is contamination.

I’ve been to a few workshops here on the coast looking at how farmers can turn part of their land over to composting, take putrescible waste, set up windrows and convert it to food for the soil.

It just takes one new person in a restaurant or a slip in concentration and the whole batch is contaminated – eg contains something that won’t break down (cooked meat bones).

With really big quantities you don’t get to sift through it like you can at home to ensure its only the stuff that’s supposed to be there.

But there are some success stories around, so it can be done, but just with lots and lots of education and some really well organised processes.

Sonya

porgeyporgey

Council collection of food scraps is a great idea as the problem with landfill is an extensive one. The problem I see is the cost & energy required to collect, transport, handle, store & compost and then distribute. My (idealistic) belief is that all compostable food scraps should be composted at the home it was generated and used on site and/or local neighborhood set ups established. This may help & teach people about self sufficiency and hopefully encourage more people to grow there own.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.