Aussies Living Simply

food forest/guild planting

Home Forums HOMEMADE In the Garden food forest/guild planting

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    calliecat
    Participant

yes me too here, just too small a yard now – if it was just me I wouldn’t be so concerned, but I have dogs, they aren’t snake catchers, but I still don’t want them hurt
    they don’t usually go after them, – well they didn’t at the previous place – but anything can happen

ballamara
    Keymaster

Interesting comment re pumpkins and snakes, I never thought of that.I will re think where to plant then next year well away from the house as I have a Labrador who would think nothing about trying to play with them as she does the stumpy tails I worry they will bite her one day.

Do you think dog’s bane or midgen would grow down here?
    calliecat
    Participant

dogs bane is frost tender apparently, check Gardenate Ballamara, – or google daleys fruit trees, they’ll have info on it

midgen is subtropical if that helps

Snags

I grew dogs bane in Melbourne
    Midgen is a plant the council uses up here as informal hedge landscaping,sugests its tough but might be more sub tropics

Snags

I also have some lomandra one the down ward edges of my gabians (loose rock wall boomerangs to hold dirt below fruit trees on a slope) to catch water and look good and flower and they are also bush tucker.

calliecat
    Participant

the winters have changed considerably since I moved here 20yrs ago, but we still get some doozy frosts snags,
    although I might have a bit more coverage now for the next winter, last time we got down to -5 but have been known to bo down to -8 – grass temp even lower
    but I will keep it in mind

Snags

I try and grow lots of calendulas, nasturtiums, alyssum and cosmos daisies unfortunately the lack of moisture and topsoil doesnt help me be very successful at it.
    Allowing dill ,fennel coriander, angelica , queen annnes lace all to flower in your under stories is a good way to get the good bugs in.
    Heres a whole list of good ones
    http://permaculturenews.org/2014/10/04/plants-attract-beneficial-insects/

calliecat
    Participant

yes, got heaps of good bug mix growing here, from Green harvest, and I can’t find my nasturtiums, think I might have put them in with the good bug mix
    have some dill that needs planting out, not sure about putting the fennel out?? nothing else likes it lol

calliecat
    Participant

I have joined that forum snags, but I put my proper name in and can’t find where to edit and put username in??
    have contacted them about it and waiting to hear back

wilkin

Hi guys looking to buy some grape vines please help thanks

calliecat
    Participant

try online, or your local nursery, – or if you have a good market, try there
    you’re in WA so there is no point linking you to anything over here,
    but you should be able to find some no problems

ballamara
    Keymaster

If you have a neighbour  or friend who has grape vines they grow well from cuttings.

Snags

I ordered some vines from a nursery but had to cancel as they were coming the week I left to go away for months.
    Still trying to get some they wont answer or return messages.
    I will give it a go after the wet season.
    Best time to get them is when they dont have their leaves.

Snags

Heres some  bio accumulators you should try and incorporate some in your guild
    http://oregonbd.org/accumulators/

I was going to add bitter melon to my list of climbers and bio-accumulaters  too

calliecat
    Participant

have bookmarked the link – thanks snags

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.