Aussies Living Simply

Foam Boxes – Adelaide

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables Foam Boxes – Adelaide

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    BelBel

The foam boxes with lids actually have a deposit – that’s why many shops will actually return them or charge you for them.

Kristy, I have some foam boxes here you could have, but they’re the kind with slits around the bottom and sides – good for drainage, but probably not for a wicking bed. My Dad is a cleaner/odd-jobs man in town and often collects foam boxes and stuff like that. If you were willing to come by my place, I could give you the boxes I have and probably get Dad to collect some for you too….

VanessaVanessa
    mudhenmudhen

Yes, that’s it Vanessa! Thanks for finding a better link!

KristyKristy

Bel post=338211 wrote: The foam boxes with lids actually have a deposit – that’s why many shops will actually return them or charge you for them.

Kristy, I have some foam boxes here you could have, but they’re the kind with slits around the bottom and sides – good for drainage, but probably not for a wicking bed. My Dad is a cleaner/odd-jobs man in town and often collects foam boxes and stuff like that. If you were willing to come by my place, I could give you the boxes I have and probably get Dad to collect some for you too….

That would be great Bel and maybe I could collect at the same time as I pick up the raspberries 🙂

BelBel

No probs. I’ll give Dad a call and get him to start saving a few for you. Your strawberries are looking good in their new pots. Need any more???

KristyKristy

That will be great thanks Bel 🙂 Are your strawberries going crazy Bel? Have you got any strawberries off them? If you have any spare I will always take them, but only if spare… I’d maybe plant under some of the fruit trees 🙂

What do you think about the thing where you are meant to reaplce the strawberry plants every few years?

BelBel

It’s hard to tell how well the strawberries are going because the ducks eat them all!! They were knocked around a bit by the heat, but seem to bounce back pretty well. I’m going to dig most of them out this winter and work over the patch they’re in. I want to reclaim some of the area for fruit trees before putting some back in. RE replacing them every few years, these seem to do it themselves. They put out runners over top of each other, then the weaker/older plants die off by themselves. I’ve never bothered to manually separate lift/replace etc and I’m only going to do it this year because they’ve got a bit out of control and I need the space. There will plenty for you when I pull them out, probably in a few months time.

KristyKristy

Thank you Bel, it will be great to get more strawberry plants 🙂 I have so much bare ground in the fruit orchard (well everywhere lol), that I am trying fill mostly with edibles 🙂

KristyKristy

Oh btw I hope some time soon to be able to have something offer back to you Bel 🙂 Do you have any comfrey yet? I bought 5 plants and only one is surviving, but the chooks keep eating it. Hopefully it will take off sometime soon (maybe next year) and then I can start dividing…

farmchooksfarmchooks

Love the idea of the mini hydroponics type set up, does anyone have any pics to use as a guide as I am thinking of introducing this idea to my students. Thankyou in advance.

GrethGreth

Kristy, my comfrey is in berserk mode atm, welcome to come pick some up if you want!

KristyKristy

That would be fantastic Greth, when would be a good time? I am busy Saturday, but could pop over Sunday some time. I will need your address again too, as I think I have forgotten 🙂

GrethGreth

Not terribly hard, get to Kanmantoo and follow the Plant Sale signs! I will be home most of the weekend I think, no particular plans.

Hi all. I have spoken to a business I know, bananablue, who give away old foam boxes that have been used for F&V deliveries. They currently have a heap to give away so give Rachel a call on 8299 0777 – located at St Marys.

RavykRavyk

Another place to try is Aquarium stores. They get their live fish delivered in large foam boxes with lids. I might be able to get my hands on some if anyone is in need of them?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.