Aussies Living Simply

FLU – what's your perspective?

Home Forums HOMEMADE Natural Remedies and Health Support FLU – what's your perspective?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    baringaparkbaringapark

Again…another excerpt from an AVN email. What’s your take on this?? I really hope what she says is not the case.

Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 – For Immediate Release:

Listen to the warnings

Just 6 weeks ago (March 16th, 2009), the Australian Vaccination Network (AVN), Australia’s national health and vaccination information lobby group, warned that contamination of the Baxter International flu vaccine with live Avian Influenza virus (H5N1 – the bird flu) could lead to the pandemic we have been warned about over the last few years. This vaccine was sent to 8 European nations and the contamination was only discovered when scientists in the Czech Republic found that all ferrets who were given this vaccine died – an event which does not occur with normal flu vaccine.

Influenza viruses – both swine flu and avian influenza – are host specific meaning that though pigs and birds are susceptible to their own strains respectively, they will not generally cross into other species. Not without a bit of help, that is.

Labs around the world however, are currently experimenting with ways to ‘help’ these viruses cross the species barrier – to try and create vaccines in advance of the predicted pandemic.

As we saw with Baxter’s inclusion of live avian influenza virus in their flu vaccine, accidents can and do happen and when they do, the results can be deadly.

The strains of influenza being diagnosed in Mexico and the US are brand new. They have never been identified before. Not necessarily unusual or cause for concern. What is concerning however is the fact that in this outbreak, the flu strain we are seeing is a combination of human, avian and swine influenza – and the genetic codes for these viruses match those that normally circulate in Europe and Asia.

Not only are we seeing these viruses jump the species barrier – they are jumping the intercontinental barriers as well.

The question then becomes – did they jump or were they pushed?

Are we seeing yet another pharmaceutical company mistake – one now with deadly results?

The only way to answer this question is to immediately test all currently licensed influenza vaccines for contamination with foreirn flu viruses. The Australian Vaccination Network feels that this would be not only a prudent move on the part of the government, but one which could stop a potential outbreak of this deadly disease from reaching our shores via a pathway that is currently not being investigated.

For further information, call the AVN on 02 6687 1699, 0414 872 032 or visit their web site – http://www.avn.org.au.

About Australian Vaccination Network, Inc.

The AVN is a non-profit, volunteer-run charitable association. Since 1994, the AVN has provided information and support to the general community who are trying to make informed choices about vaccination and health. Their lobbying in Federal Parliament has ensured that compulsory vaccination for children has not come to pass and they are the major reporters of vaccine adverse reactions to ADRAC (The Adverse Drug Reactions Advisory Committee).

For more information visit http://www.avn.org.au or ph 02 6687 1699

Fax: 02 6687 2032 Mobile: 0414 872 032

shadowdancershadowdancer

Well, I have to say, that is a scary prospect! I have never had the flu, and the Dr keeps telling me that I should have the flu shot? I said, nope! Im not going to have any shot that exposes me to the problem, when I naturally have never had it! My father was the same, and now gets the flu ever single year – without fail – and they continue to pump it into his body! One year, it even developed into Pneumonia! Go figure. Sometimes I think that people should just trust their own instincts with respect to the older persons vaccines, and just go with the flow. If you’ve never had the flu, don’t get the jab!

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Where on the avn site do I find where they get their info… This is interesting and I would like to follow the sites/research that avn is…

Tia

:hug:

wocketwocket
    wocketwocket
    RobyneRobyne

I don’t have injections and I very rarely get sick but I do take a multi with my Thyroid tablet every morning in winter I do increase it to 2 a day.

Hubby has the injection every year and every year he gets sick. I have suggested to him to do what I do but I just get a grunt.

On the news they said that the flu shot was useless against this flu.

I did watch one time about the flu that hit the world during WW1. My mums dad was a medic on the western front during that time and he told her mother that a lot of soldiers died from it but they put down it was the gun fire. His job was to pickup the bodies of the wounded and dying on a horse and cart.

On this show it did say there was a lot of side effects, one being strokes that came later on. He had one in 1926 when mum was 13 and died. When I saw it I said to hubby that I wondered if he had died from it, with out ever knowing why.

I am afraid I will simply be stocking up on aspirin (to reduce fever) lemsips and similar treatments as well as honey and lemon juice options. Already have cider vinegar. Not too many chances of infection where I am. I gather from news reports that there have been several such outbreaks in my lifetime – but then, I have not noticed them either. Glad I am not stuck on the tube in the UK though – got home just in time by the sounds of it!!:tup:

DepomeDepome

I heard on RN this morning that it will take six months to develop a vaccine against this swine flu. And I thought it was generally understood that the flu vaccines given in Australia are derived from the northern hemisphere’s winter flu strains, which have of course mutated by the time Australia is affected by seasonal flu. It takes so long to develop vaccines that is seems obvious that you cannot be vaccinated for any current strain of a rapidly mutating illness like this. Infact, I am wondering if the same can be applied to other pathogens. Bacteria also replicate themselves at a stunning rate, providing enormous scope for rapid diversification. How relevent then are other vaccines?

I have long noticed that it is only our family members who get the flu vaccine, that actually get flu. The rest of us are fine. It is my belief that the flu vaccine is probably, by and large, a pointless exercise in terms of the antibodies generated. But the other ingredients of the vaccines, coupled with the general (artificial?) demand on the immune system to generate antibodies, leaves your body depleted and susceptible.

I did see a Bigpond news item a couple of months ago declaring that children are the carriers of everything due to their schooling etc. Trials had apparently shown that the incidence of flu in old people could be reduced by something like 25%-45% if young children were given the flu vaccine. :jawdrop: Now I admit I am not a vaccinator anyway, but the idea that young children should have any more bloody cocktails in their first five years, especially to prolong the life/whatever of old people sickens me. I really believe that the current old folk will be the longest lived generation in history. With obesity and diabetes crises, and staggering amounts of vaccines being given to children in their first five years, I think we have a lot of bombs ticking. A portion of that is of course based on my belief that the content of vaccines depletes the immune system, and that given repeatedly in a few short years there will be repercussions.

FeeglesFeegles
    HayleyHayley

Wel said Deb.

The one and only year that my DH had the flu vacc, was the sickest winter he has ever had!

purplehatpurplehat

No flu shots here, thank goodness! A very healthy diet and a general avoidance of sick people/hospitals/clinics, good personal hygiene and some good old common sense should be all that’s required.

weaverweaver

I have a friend who works for Public Health in exactly this type of thing and she has been called back to work from leave. Sounds to me like the people in the know are thinking this could be big.:p

deeedeee

This is latest we have received at work (large public hospital)

http://www.docguide.com

Basically, the advice is not to panic – a pandemic is not inevitable. Vaccination is useless, but antiviral medication can work in this instance both as a preventative measure and as a treatment in the first 48 hours. But unless you are off to Mexico this week, I wouldn’t worry about it.

I’m firmly convinced the ‘flu vaccine is simply a revenue raiser for Glaxo and co. The influenza virus mutates very quickly and there are always numerous strains doing the rounds. If we paid better attention to our health and fitness and if people STAYED AT HOME when they were sick instead of martyring themselves to show the boss what a keen and indispensable worker they were (and if the boss stopped rewarding such stupid behaviour) we’d all be better off.

What I’d like to see is a vaccine to the affluenza pandemic which has been devastating the planet for years now :@

D

DepomeDepome

deee wrote:

What I’d like to see is a vaccine to the affluenza pandemic which has been devastating the planet for years now :@

😆 :clap: 😆 :clap: 😆

Here here!

McLeonardMcLeonard

quote [And I thought it was generally understood that the flu vaccines given in Australia are derived from the northern hemisphere’s winter flu strains, which have of course mutated by the time Australia is affected by seasonal flu. ] unquote

I wouldn’t be so sure of that part. Two of the three flu strains in this years flu shot are both Brisbane strains.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.