Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Flour that I stored – now sour

Home Forums HOMEMADE Home Preserving, Food Storage and Stockpiling Flour that I stored – now sour

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    zippyzippy

Hi there, This is my first visit here in yeeeears but I knew, if anyone would be able to help with this topic it would be you guys!

So I’m a stockpiler, I use the method the LDS church uses with the foil pouches and oxygen absorbers. So anyway, I stored about a year’s worth of flour a few years ago, thinking it would last about 10 years. Because it’s organic and obviously not refined enough to store as well as white flour, it’s gone bitter and sour. 

I have HEAPS of it. Other than feeling sick that I’ve wasted so much food and money.. (and no see the sense in storing grain and having a grinding machine!) I’m wondering what to do with it.         

Is there a use for it??
    Thanks in advance.

~X(

SnagsSnags

Wholemeal?
    Sounds like the oils have gone rancid

SnagsSnags

heres some tips on what to do with rancid flour.
    http://www.ehow.com/info_8238120_uses-rancid-flour.html

zippyzippy

Oh thanks Snags!!
    Because they were being packed in an anaerobic environment I chose flour that had less than 10% oil content. They should have been fine.. but… never mind! Thanks so much for the link – my kids are still young enough to give away home made dough presents for christmas!! haha

phew!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.