Aussies Living Simply

Floppy comb…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    marzmarz

on 2yr old hen, she stands around a lot on one leg. Still eating and runs out to forage with the others – but doesn’t look too healthy. Any ideas?

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

dose her up with some garlic, it’s great stuff!

marzmarz

They have ACV with garlic in their water all the time, should I give extra?

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

I give mine garlic.. approx 1 clove per chooken in the water once a month. Once that is gone ACV until that is consumed & then I give them plain fresh water until the next dose of garlic around the next full moon.

They love plain fresh water too. They need a break from the garlic & ACV.. at least I think they do.

I hope your chook picks up soon.

😀

marzmarz

They do get plain fresh water too – when they are let out in the afternoons they come round and drink the water from the dog’s bowl 😀

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Ok.

When I am dosing them up with garlic & ACV, I make sure they have no access to fresh water, so that I know they are actually getting the stuff into them. Once they have finished the the garlic/ACV water, then they get to drink the plain water.

If they know they can access fresh water instead of the garlic/ACV, they will, as they do prefer it.. well mine do anyway 🙂

LeecyLeecy

Can anyone tell me what it means when they have a floppy comb? My rescue girls had floppy, pale combs. They are changing to be more normal looking, but wondering what caused it in the first place. :shrug:

roogzroogz

some breeds have floppy combs – leghorns – some commercail breeds combs flop over when they are older ( as the combs Get bigger)

the combs can go pale for several reasons.

I’ll health, worms, lice , incorrect feed or beacause they are moulting and off the lay –

the bright red comb is a signal to the rooster that they are laying and ready for mating.

Cheers

Roogz

marzmarz

So she’s not going to die then 🙁

LeecyLeecy

Maybe some special attention and exclusive (supervised) rights to the vege garden might be all she needs? Chooks seem to thrive being the ‘favoured’ ones. Extra worms and greens…

Does the pale comb thing have anything to do with sunlight? Mine started colouring up within the day and are now bright red (and I would have thought if they were going to go off the lay they would be doing it now while it’s getting cooler and have been relocated).

FeyWindFeyWind

My chooks have a pale floppy comb if they are stressed or sick. It’s a sign to watch your chook carefully to check nothing is wrong. Moulting, new environment, being hen-pecked, thirst, just being caught and dusted with lice powder etc. are all stresses that can cause a comb to go pale and floppy.

If the chook hasn’t got any current stresses, keep an eye out for any other symptoms and give a few treats – greens, ACV, etc to check she is not sick.

gremmblesgremmbles

YOu say she stands around on one leg a lot. Does she have a sore foot or an infection in that foot. Might be worth checking.

marzmarz

Well, we’ve hand fed her garlic, fresh water and greens, checked her all over for ticks, mites etc over the last few days and she’s not improving – in fact she’s looking worse. Not standing at all, eyes shut most of the time.

So….. Victoria is being euthanased today 🙁

All the other 7 chooks are fine.

FeyWindFeyWind

🙁 🙁

Hope your other chookies stay well.

:hug::hug:

sue esue e

sorry to hear that marz. maybe she is egg bound in which case it would be the kindest thing to put her to sleep as after this length of time she would be too far gone to help her as peritonitis would probably have set in. have you noticed any discharge and were her poos normal looking. we have lost a couple of chooks this way despite our efforts at intervention so don’t feel bad, as you did all you could.:hug:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.