Aussies Living Simply

Fleas !!! natural to rid them

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Fleas !!! natural to rid them

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    spannerspanner

Howdy all and sundry,

Well it is that time of year again when the temp starts to rise and the humidity makes fleas happy.

We have just had a sudden infestation of fleas in our garden. Does anyone have any ideas on how to control them out side apart from the nasty chemical from the vets? Solfac EW – $80 for 200ml .

We also have a few fleas starting to make their presence felt inside as well. Thyis is most likly from the cat who we have just de-flead but I think there will be a few roamign sabout inside and wanting to propergate as well. So any help for inside would be great.

Cheers.

May god have mercy on the fleas souls for they will hopefully soon be departded and meeting their flea godd/ess in the sky. :rip:

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Spanner if I remeber correctly my Mum used to use rock salt spread around outside to get rid of them…

Inside just keep your floors vac-ed and the cat dosed up…

Yep, it’s that time off year again… :rip:

ccBearccBear

grow fresh mint and sprinkle the crushed leaves in the bad infestation areas

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Growing wormwood, rue, mint & I think pennyroyal help with deterring fleas. Read up carefully about growing rue, as it can cause skin reactions to us humans & I pressume our furry friends as well.

shadowdancershadowdancer

Salt if you have carpet…sprinkle it onto that and “brush” it in with a broom…leave it sit for around 12 hours then vaccuum out! it dessicates the eggs and renders them “useless”. I have Pennyroyal growing in a small pot at the moment, but will get a few more and grow them around the place where the dog likes to go. Its has a ground cover looking habit, but I’ve never grown it before. It does say on the label that it repels fleas, which is my reasoning to buy it! Good luck with it all. 😀

creekercreeker

I used diatomaceous earth last summer for dog and poultry living quarters – no problems with fleas or lice. Definitely will be using it again as the weather warms up.

spannerspanner

creeker wrote:

I used diatomaceous earth last summer for dog and poultry living quarters – no problems with fleas or lice. Definitely will be using it again as the weather warms up.

How do you use this?

Is it a spray or a powder? Can you use it inside as well????

creekercreeker

It’s a powder.

I sprinkled a light dusting on the dirt floor of dog’s shed and in the chook pen. You can use it in the garden, or in the house, or direct on the animals just like you would with flea or insecticide powder. I also had moderate success with sprinkling it on ant trails – we have major problem here with bull ants, they would carry us away given half a chance. I also plan trying it on the sheep for fly strike if we should be so unlucky again.

This is not the stuff used as pool filter, it is food grade used to eradicate insects from stored grains etc. It’s recommended that you wear a mask when applying it, but some people take it daily in juice as a vermifuge. It has physical rather than chemical properties.

More info here: http://www.greenharvest.com.au/pestcontrol/diatomaceous_earth_info.html

JanineJanine

Just be very careful with powerders like diatomaceous earth and derris dust they do very, very bad things to our lungs and they are a poison that will effect people as well no matter how organic they are. I have stopped using these products after a very interesting conversation at seed savers about their long term effects on our health.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Just be very careful with powerders like diatomaceous earth and derris dust they do very, very bad things to our lungs and they are a poison that will effect people as well no matter how organic they are. I have stopped using these products after a very interesting conversation at seed savers about their long term effects on our health.

Janine, would you mind sharing that interesting conversation with us ? I would really like to know more please.. 🙂

JanineJanine

The point being they get into our lung tissues and slow cause long lasting damage and can lead towards parkinsons disease and other issues down the track. Derris dust is a long acting poison, do we really want these in our systems even if they are considered organic. It also gets into our DNA and can cause birth defects, can also lead to cancer. Children are particuarly susceptable to its poison and it can lead to skeletal deformatives in those exposed. Oral poisoning is by far worse than breathing it in, but if we keep adding and exposing ourselves the risk factors go up. It is also thought to lead to depression. Sorry for the shortness of my notes but I am trying to remember what was said. Try looking up the toxicity of these products on the web and you will find a wealth of information.

At the end of the day according to the world health oraganisation its risk factors are consistant with other argricultural poisons! How scary is that, and all from an “organic” solution. I think I will be hand picking my catterpillers this year.

I even asked about pyrethrym but you cannot buy pure pyrethrym in Australia without Piperonyl Butoxide. if you want the insecticide you would have to grow your own daisy’s which is what I am now doing for insecticide.Piperonyl Butoxide inhibits microsomal enzymes. It is suspected of causing anorexia, carcinogenesis, coma, convulsions, dermal irritation, hepatic and renal damage, hyperexcitability, prenatal damage, prostration, tearing, unsteadiness, vomiting and weight loss. You cannot buy pyrethrym in Australia without it.

Incidently I have had good success with dolomite in the chook shed and doggy areas for flea and mite control.

But whatever you do if you are handling powders, make sure you use a proper mask, and shower once you finish after you have put your coveralls in the washing machine. And make sure you read exactly what it is you are using and investigate, turns out these organic solutions can be just as bad as their non organic counter parts.

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Thank you Janine, the side effects are scary & I’m glad I don’t use them..

I won’t be rushing out to buy them either.

Janine wrote:

Try looking up the toxicity of these products on the web and you will find a wealth of information.

If your making the statements, shouldn’t you be supplying the facts?

I buy food grade diatamaceous earth which isn’t considered a poison.

All the research I have done is that DE is non toxic and it works in a mechanical way to control pests. Of course care needs to be shown in breathing the material, but just a ounce of common sense makes it a safe product.

In my opinion of course

JanineJanine

I am supplying the facts as I heard them, everything I have read supports what I have heard. My main point was to be careful in what you breathe in, but when things are labeled organic many people regard them as safe and forget about little things like masks. And being careful to wash yourself and your clothing after.

And whilst we are on the topic of diatamaceous earth if you look up the toxicity of that you will find that its toxicity to humans includes carcinogenicity, reproductive and developmental toxicity, neurotoxicity, and acute toxicity and it is also toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms.

Well I did google *Diatomaceous earth toxic* and nada after the first 3 or 4 pages. We must be using different search engines :shrug:

I think I will take my chances.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.