Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Fleas in our grass? Natural treatment??

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Fleas in our grass? Natural treatment??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KalexKalex

Hi Guys,

Everytime I go out into the back or front yard, I get bitten by some mysterious bugs. We don’t think that it’s mossies as the one pond we have has tadpoles in it (aren’t they the natural predator of mozzies?), we have heard that sometimes fleas can infest your lawn if you have alot of animals around.

We have 2 cats, and the neighbours have about 73 (never let the truth get in the way of a good story;))… and we have 4 chooks also.

So if fleas have infested our lawn – is there a natural way to get rid of them?

We have a toddler who loves running around in the back yard, also we like to let our chooks out to free range on an almost daily basis… so we’d rather not use chemicals. (Besides the other reasons for not wanting to use chemicals :tdown: ).

I hope someone knows and I look forward to your advice.

thanks

kalex

WazzaWazza

Have had this same problem with fleas taking over a vegie garden. Diatomaceous earth did the trick.

BullseyeBullseye

Hi Kalex, Best place to start would to properly identify the biting insects, for a specific method of control.

kerriebkerrieb

Kalex

Another possiblity is biting midges. We get them here sometimes. They are tiny, tiny flying black insects. When I get them I have to make sure I keep the lawn short and avoid going out at dusk & dawn.

Diatomaeous earth should be used with care as the form the silica is in can cause future lung problems if inhaled. It’s not something I would have my kids playing with.

KalexKalex

thanks everyone… I was wondering whether tea tree oil in water sprayed everywhere might work? (I’ve heard that can work inside the house, on the cats themselves and to wash their bedding in?) any thoughts on that?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.