Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Fixing a shed (for dummies)

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Reduce, Reuse, Repair, Recycle Fixing a shed (for dummies)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    RommieRommie

We have an old zinaclume shed being used for storing our firewood. One of the walls has buckled outward slightly at the top – popped out of the roofline I suppose – so there’s now a gap about ten centimetres long and one centimetre wide that the rain gets through.

We intend to replace the whole thing eventually (the roof has corroded through and been patched up more than once) but how can we fix this in the meantime? The shed isn’t very big so by just moving wood out of the way of the leak we lose a lot of space.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Are you able to push it back in place and use pop-rivets to keep it there?

You might need to also get a small length of aluminium with a 90 degree angle to help secure it.

AirgeadAirgead

Yep… sounds like either the zink has come off the top and the screws/rivets that were holding it on have rusted out or the wood has pressed on the side and caused the fastenings to fail.

I’d push it back into place, clean up any rust with some rust converter and zinc spray then get some aluminium strip or 90 degree angle and pop rivet that on as a strengthener.

Cheers

Dave

RommieRommie

We have some metal angles that will do the job, but I don’t think we have the apparatus for pop-riveting. Screws could be substituted? (Told you it’s for dummies 😆 )

Access is the tricky bit too because the leaky bit is at the back which is up against the fence (only a chook-wire fence though, we’re on good terms with our neighbour so maybe she won’t mind if we ask to come through her place 😉 )

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Pop rivet gun can be purchased for around $20 I think

Or … Maybe borrow one 🙂

AirgeadAirgead

Pop rivets are easiest but you could subsituse a self tapping screw or ever a bolt and nut (though yopu would need someone on both sides of the4 wall – one to push the bolt through and one to fit the nut.

Pop rivets will be strongest though.

Cheers

Dave

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.