Aussies Living Simply

Five Year Forecast: Your ideas

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Five Year Forecast: Your ideas

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Dayla

I believe most politicians are there to try and make a difference. Probably all of them! Its just they believe different things, hence different parties.

Some may get comnpromised and that is unfortunate but it does attract strong minded people. Big egos perhaps, as we have seen in recent days.

They have to look at the big picture, well they should all look at the big picture. To the future of our country and planet.

So maybe in the scheme of things we have to carry a few people who may not be doing the “so called” right thing. But it is a small minority and I am willing to be compassionate towards those who may be misguided into thinking the government will look after them when they are seen as being lazy.

Perhaps they have other problems and they can’t face the world as most of us can. And are using this getting pregnant to stay on the pension -as you say. As a way of escaping their problems.

Perhaps if we show them encouragement and offer help they may choose to join us. But if we deride them and put them down, how can they change, why should they change?

I prefer not to judge if I don’t know all the facts.

Have you tried living on a single parent pension?

It is not fun. Living below the poverty line is not something any sensible person would deliberately choose to do.

These are my thoughts on the matter as you asked fo them.

Dayla

Dayla

I think you have your finger well on the pulse owlbrudder.

Dayla

porgey

Interesting thoughts, thank you.

When Labors Mining Resources Rent Tax (aka Mining Super Profits Tax) and The Carbon Tax come into effect they will barely cause a ripple. This will put the spot light fairly and squarely on what the Government has done and what the Abbott Coalition promises as the next election campaign begins to crank up. Labor has done some good (great?) things but we will be constantly reminded by Abbott et al and the Right Wing Media of there waste and ANOTHER LABOR DEBT. However labor & the Unions will instigate a huge campaign in scrutinising Abbotts clearly unsustainable and unachievable promises putting the Coalition party room on really thin ice. I am sure the Three Stooges reference will pop up many times in 2013 in regards to Abbott, Hockey & Robb.

Ironically enough Abbott is Gillards/Labors greatest political advantage due to his constant negative campaigning, fiscal stupidity, inflexibility, over promises etc. Having Abbott as alternative PM is way better for the ALP than a respected and capable alternative – Malcolm Turnbull. Somehow the Labor strategists have to rubbish Abbott but still keep him as the opposition leader -interesting balancing act.

Personally, I think Turnbull has to be the next PM as he is the only current serving federal pollie with the smarts and economic, social & environmental cred to lead Australia.

As for Andrew Bolt. Rather than rubbish his right wing position listen to what he has said/written and compare them to the facts. He said our Carbon Tax will not alter global warming one iota – thats true. Our CT will send jobs offshore and pollution will increase – also true. He, rather irrespectfully, rubbished Tim Flannerys claim of no more full dams & heavy rain events and more longer & severe droughts – warranted. He vehementally criticised Gillard/Swan/Rudd etc about there wasteful spending – I cant disagree with that. Wether you like or loath him he does raise interesting things that are worth listening to regardless of your political beliefs and how objectionable he can be.

penny

I would vote for someone who will take on the big miners here. The sight of the mega wealthy saying the mining tax will cause the demise of mining here is rubbish. The price of iron ore has trebled in the last couple of years and Gina has a personal fortune of over$60 BILLION. OK we need companies BUT the resources belong to us all, especially the traditional owners. It beggars belief that one person can have so much and then say that the rest of us should admire them for their profligate and thoughtless consumerism. Indigenous people in mining areas have high rates of infant mortality, illness and premature death.

Maybe I am a stupid or idealistic but I really believe that there needs to be a fairer distribution of the great wealth of this country and we really need to ensure that all of us receive the benefits and build good infrastructure for all.

porgey

penny post=339920 wrote: I would vote for someone who will take on the big miners here. The sight of the mega wealthy saying the mining tax will cause the demise of mining here is rubbish. The price of iron ore has trebled in the last couple of years and Gina has a personal fortune of over$60 BILLION. OK we need companies BUT the resources belong to us all, especially the traditional owners. It beggars belief that one person can have so much and then say that the rest of us should admire them for their profligate and thoughtless consumerism. Indigenous people in mining areas have high rates of infant mortality, illness and premature death.

Maybe I am a stupid or idealistic but I really believe that there needs to be a fairer distribution of the great wealth of this country and we really need to ensure that all of us receive the benefits and build good infrastructure for all.

Penny, I could not agree with you more.

I would like to see a Super Profits Tax on all companies and individuals not just the miners.

People like Clive, Gina & Twiggy have no right to complain about paying more tax on fortunes based on national resource wealth. They deserve there millions, billions perhaps, but to whinge and whine that there concentration of wealth is not better off spread a bit more evenly is obscene imho and borders on immorality. No one needs $60 Billion in resource wealth and some of that money should be spent on improving Australia for all. I am an avid supporter of the free market BUT everything should have limits and super profits, the environment, fairness, Sovereign wealth, Indigenous rights, “free” trade, need, are some of them.

I hope in the next decade or so there is a big debate and action on our entire tax system. Any system is a shambles when as much as 30% of all tax collected goes into administering it. Costellos GST was a failed start and Wayne Swan calling the CT & MRRT tax reform is incorrect in my books. We need less taxes collecting more money costing less and better distributed with less government waste. Sadly this is not a forecast as politicians dont have the will to fix such a glaring problem.

penny

Porgey a fairer tax system is definitely needed. The very wealthy and companies have a miriad of ways to avoid paying a fair share of the tax burden. When I watch or listen to them I wonder what it is that makes them think that it is fair and just for them to pay less in the dollar in tax than the poorest and most disadvantaged in our community pay.

I think that at some stage the tide will turn but I’m not holding my breath

Robyne

I agree the rich are getting richer and the poor poorer.

Like my youngest son has said over and over if the mines pull out the towns around will die. Some of the businesses that have gone OS look at the towns they supported.

What annoys me is the moning compainies that pay high rents in towns where people have lived for years and they are either put out for the higher rents or the market value of the properties go so far up the people can’t afford the rates. Son said some of the housing in WA are more than what they are worth in a nightmare. When the crash comes and it will those people who have paid huge amount for housing will be left high and dry like the ones in the US are having now.

Yes I do know what it is like to live on a pension. Hubby is on Disabilty and we are making ends meet. We don’t smoke we do like a drink but the cask will last me 12 months. I pay rent here and I look after my granddaughter. I do get a tax for her but I get it yearly as I want it for her schooling.

What my friend said on her web site was the lack of retraining for these girls. I know my sons X is one so long as she doesn’t have to work she will keep producing more kids and she doesn’t care for them. She is pregant again with her 7 or 8th child and she is so stoned most of the time I really feel for the unborn child. No future. One of the parents at GD school brags about not ever working. This country can’t afford to carry on. My parents worked when they came here and so have I since I was 14

There is so much oppurtunity for everyone to better themselves no a days One boy in my granddaughters class his dad is a single father with 4 kids one is 6 months old but he works 3 days a week to supplement his family.

porgey

There has to be a better way to ensure the poorer members of our community can work there way up and the richests in our community can still maintain fair and healthy profits without amassing huge and skewed concentrations of wealth.

Simply put we need a better system that probably starts with getting rid of State Governments and all the duplication & buck passing, a complete overhaul of taxation, concurrent four year terms for both houses of Federal Parliament, CPI pegged cut offs for Government welfare, and a deep look into how fair our Fair Trade obligations really are. These are things that pollies and the media should be talking about & instigating, instead we get this pathetic & childish tit for tat behaviour – highlighted by shock(ing) jocks calling the PM JuliLIAR.

I thought more Independent MPs & Senators would be good but without a critical mass of true non partisan Independents its hard to gauge. I have become a big fan of Nick Xenophon and to a lesser extent Andrew Wilkie and I just hope that we either get more of there ilk or a really good political party with a big majority in both houses of Parliament.

owlbrudder

porgey post=339941 wrote: a really good political party with a big majority in both houses of Parliament.

Problem is, we don’t have a really good political party and that is just statistics. Any party with a fixed doctrine is going to offend most people most of the time. All they need to get elected is to get enough people convinced that they are the “great new hope for Oztraya”. That “convincing” is achieved through clever – and expensive – marketing and, in that game, the biggest wallet wins (unless the wallet hires incompetent advice, which is not unheard of). Opinion leaders in this country are available to the highest bidder and the media they speak through reach a huge percentage of the population.

It is increasingly necessary to be careful who you listen to, because the opinion you hear has probably been bought. At the very least, if you listen to Andrew Bolt, for example, make sure you also get a daily dose of Aunty ABC. If your News is Limited, look behind the message to determine who would benefit from feeding it to you.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.