May 25, 2010 at 11:49 am #252281
i have been using fish emulsion for a while now and have been happy with it until i read the label and saw that it contained .004 ppm. mercury! i was using the coles brand so i wonder if all fish emulsion has the same and how detrimental it would be to continue to use it. i think it is accumulative so would it build up in the soil and how would it affect the plants. would it accumulate in them? any ideas?:(:(May 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm #466394Reid_alderbooksMember
I would try to steer clear of it, use up what you have and find an alternative. It isn’t something you want to regret further down the track, especially when there is so many good natural products on the market nowadays.May 25, 2010 at 1:28 pm #466395ZeitgeistMember
.004 ppm of mercury is pretty tiny if you already eat fish. You might be interested to have a look here. http://www.takepart.com/gotmercury Use the drop down menu to pick the kind of fish you eat, type in the other particulars it asks for, then hit calculate. If you eat a lot of shark, swordfish or tilefish (from the gulf of mexico) ya might wanna stop.:jawdrop: Basically the higher up the fish food chain you eat, the more mercury you will ingest. Goes on the principle of small fish gets eaten by slightly larger fish, which in turn gets eaten by an even larger fish, and so on and so on. Cumulative effect of lots of small fish with mercury poisoning ends up with large fish with mental problems (ok the mental problems bit i made up).
So when they label .004 ppm, i’d say they are averaging a figure, somehow filtering it, or lying their butts off, cause none of the fish on that link are below .004 ppm.May 25, 2010 at 9:40 pm #466396
hmmmm. not a big fish eater for that very reason. sardines occasionally. don’t buy tuna because of the overfishing. so bummer! i wonder if charley carp has the same issues. going shopping today so will have a look!May 29, 2010 at 3:39 am #466397ZandyMember
What about trying to get fish emulsion from an organic supplier? I get mine from Agrisolutions http://www.agriculturalsolutions.com.au/about_us.htmlMay 29, 2010 at 4:36 am #466398urban-wombatMember
I don’t buy the commercial fish emulsion.. but.. when I make my liquid fertilizer add a can of Black ‘n Gold sardines plus some kelp as I said in another posting it works wonder just take a look at my wicking bed (test)
So I end up with a fertilizer that has .. fish ..seaweed and many other much-have goodies.. takes very short time making .. and the cost is so little
ColJune 13, 2010 at 4:52 am #466399sumasia2Member
we used to have bio bynamical fish emulsion on our farm for years.
they also used shark as the fish to be broken plus bio dynamic preps in each batch. If fish emulsion is made well has many beneifits.
they should have a link on that website to purchase or be able to stir your in the right direction.
philJune 13, 2010 at 6:00 am #466400zygoMember
Why not try “Charlie Carp” liquid fish fertilizer? It is simply European Carp in liquid form! The business is helping clean up our waterways and remove an invasive freshwater species, providing jobs in Australia as it is wholly manufactured here and is locally owned. (No I don’t have shares in the company):lol:June 13, 2010 at 9:06 am #466401
have been checking out other brands of fish emulsion and none have mercury listed. so not sure if that means that it is absent or that it just hasn’t been listed. i love your idea urban wombat. once we get our yard cleaned up am gonna have a go at a wicking bed-preferably before summer. we have 2 baths from previous endeavours- would they work as a wicking bed do you reckon?June 14, 2010 at 12:48 am #466402ccBearMember
have a look here at charlie carp home site http://www.charliecarp.com/index.php they even give links to the Material Data Sheets which do not indicate any levels of mercury. If any mercury was it the prouct it would have to show in the safety sheets.June 14, 2010 at 1:06 am #466403WozMember
Given that Carp is freshwater, Mercury problems would be far less likely, so sounds like a good alternative.June 14, 2010 at 4:09 am #466404
it is a great product. i used to use it all the time but just bought the coles stuff cos it was cheap and then noticed the mercury content. interesting ain’t it?June 14, 2010 at 5:52 am #466405porgeyMember
Its a tragedy that our food supply is contaminated but as mentioned 0.004% is pretty small. However mercury in its variety of forms is neuro-toxic and rather nasty. But good soil should help prevent Hg uptake by plants and a healthy diet / healthy person should be able to eliminate any heavy metals ingested. There are a variety of foods that help increase elimination, particularly sulphur containing foods such as the alliums (garlic is a ripper) & eggs, as well as homeopathic formulas. Add regular exercise and the whole elimination process is enhanced.
I think Chuckie C should be lower in mercury than most formulas but sadly higher in other toxins that end up in our land fed rivers. I am lucky as I collect a bit of seaweed from bass strait and catch the occasional fish that makes up a smelly but splendid organic tea for the food garden.
Using only certified-organic products will help but remember there is a difference between organic and an allowable organic input.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.