Aussies Living Simply

Feral fruit tree register in Melbourne

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Community Activism and Self Nurturing Communities Feral fruit tree register in Melbourne

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    mudhenmudhen

I heard about this feral fruit tree map while listening to the radio this morning:

http://www.sustainablemelbourne.com/models/feral-fruit-trees-melbourne/

What a great idea! The radio announcer suggested maybe we need something like that in Adelaide, I think it’d be wonderful.

My sister lives in Tulsa Oklahoma, US and the city planted pecan trees many years ago in a large parkland area. Anyone can now go and collect pecan nuts when they are ready for harvest. She and her husband filled a large amount of shopping bags last year and saved them for Christmas gifts for family and friends!

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

:wave: Mudhen

I saw the same thing on River cottage DVD a few weeks back, they do it in England, brillant idea, free fresh fruit that would normally go to waste. Im not telling anyone about the feral trees around here thou :whistle:

AnjaAnja

I was just thinking the same thing Busylizzie! I don’t want to share the feral fruit trees around here either!!

lynnielynnie

hmmm I haven’t seen any feral fruit trees *cry* maybe I’m just going around with my eyes closed….

Good idea though

KristyKristy

I’ve always wondered why council don’t plant fruit trees instead of the ornamentals they plant. Is it the upkeep of fruit or veg thta stops them or maybe the cost?

BelBel

I think it’s a great idea. I’d also love to see a register where people who have home fruit trees could invite people to share the unwanted fruit. I see tons of loaded citrus trees around here at the moment – very tempted to knock on the door to kindly ask if they wouldn’t mind sharing/swapping some.

There are lots of feral quince trees on the side of the road up in the Adelaide hills. Also some old quince trees along the walking track through the back of Walkley Heights (at the Bridge Rd end of the track, behind Transport SA). There is an old citrus grove in Greenwith as well. Plenty of feral olives around Two Wells/Angle Vale etc.

Kristy, I also have wondered for years why the council doesn’t plant productive fruit trees instead of sterile ornamental flowering trees. Particularly in areas of high density housing where fruit trees aren’t possible in back/front yards….

AnjaAnja

Kristy post=319212 wrote: I’ve always wondered why council don’t plant fruit trees instead of the ornamentals they plant. Is it the upkeep of fruit or veg thta stops them or maybe the cost?

The street where ‘Neighbours’ is filmed has a secret that for some reason the viewers have never noticed – every tree in the nature strips are lemon trees!! We had friends visit from the Uk and I took them there and every single tree was loaded with lemons!!

mudhenmudhen

I heard an interview a little while ago with the new lord mayor of Adelaide and he was asked the question of having fruit trees and herbs planted in the parklands. He said he thought it was a great idea and that he was all for sustainability. Be interesting to see if anything comes of it. A neighbour down the street has a cumquat tree with quite a few fruit on it and it is tempting to ask if they are going to use them! I got some at the market for $6/kg last week and one of my boys is taking them in his lunchbox, he likes them so much! Another neighbour has a crab apple tree and after seeing the fruit fall on the ground for 2 years in a row, I will ask next year about picking it and giving them some of the jelly. If you look on freecycle regularly, or free n cheap adelaide, people sometimes advertise fruit from backyard trees. Often free but sometimes for a small cost (esp olives!).

BronBron

We have 2 pecan trees growing on public land in the middle of town here. I often wish council would plant food trees instead of roses and pansies (pretty as they are).

KristyKristy

Mudhen that would be fantastic of they could start planting fruit trees and it would also encourage other people to start planting fruit trees, growing veggies etc. If more people tried realy produce they would no longer buy from supermarkets. Off topic, but I bought tomatoes from a supermarket the other day (and I know they are out of season), but terrible, no flavour nothing! Choos will probably get them and they were the vine ripened ones…

Thanks for the mention of the free n cheap, which I hadn’t heard of. Just requested to become a member

evhcreativeevhcreative

This is awesome! There are heaps of alleyway where we lived in Brunswick that may need to be plotted out! Thanks for posting this!!

busylizziebusylizzie
    Participant

Mudhen, Id be asking anyone and everyone if you can pick their fruit if its just being wasted and falling on the ground, they will either say yes or no, in return you could give them some of what ever it is you have made from their fruit. This is what I do. :tup:

mudhenmudhen

Thanks for the encouragement, Lizzie! I kept telling myself that I would ask about the crab apples when I saw the owners out the front, but being the type of housing estate this is, you rarely get to actually see anyone outside. Most have automatic garage door openers, so the chances of catching a person even as they come or go from work or whatever are almost nil. I’m actually a bit shy about knocking on the front door to ask. Funny how one can be brave and sociable in many situations but not others!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.