Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Felting

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    mauzimauzi

Hi all, I have not been around much lately, life sometimes gets just too busy 😆

I am starting a felting project and although I did felting many many years ago, I have forgotten some of the process. I do remember laying the raw wool (whatever being used) in layers with each layer going a different direction, and using hot soapy water, I think covering the finished layers with the hot soapy water and some fly mesh or something like that and scrubbing. I do believe it can also be done in a washing machine.

I would appreciate any comments on how you felt, experiences and tips. :kiss:

Cheers

Mauzi

BlueWrenBlueWren

oh mauzi ……..ANOTHER project?? You can use rabbit fur for felting can’t you? Is that what is used for Akubra hats …or did I make that up?? :shrug:

mauzimauzi

Hi BlueWren, yes I decided I didn’t have enough to do 😆 It is coming up winter and I usually try and do a few craft type projects then as the gardens have slowed down for a bit here anyway. Yes, they do make akubra hats out of rabbit fur, through a steaming process. I am not sure if they also use chemicals now to make the felt bind better, most likely in this day and age. I am going to give it a go anyway, especially for the younger rabbits as their skin is too thin to be tanned and I hate to waste any part of the animal. Just my thing.

veginoutveginout

From what I remember of the felting course I did a few years ago: We carded the fibre into rolags and layered them as you say in alternate directions (from memory I did 1 layer wool, 1 layer alpaca and another wool) between old sheets material. We then used the matchstic blind method and swiss rolled the lot after pouring on detergent and warm water. worked the roll for about 10 min until semi-felted.

Depending on what we were making (I made booties for myself), a resistance template was put between 2 layers of the semi-felt and used the swiss roll method to mostly finish the felting. The booties were then put onto our feet and worked into shape after removing the resistanc from inside the now formed hollow. They were very warm, but I didn’t keep up with repairs as the soles wore out quickly.

BlueWrenBlueWren

I am very, very happy that baby BlueWren bunny will not become booties …………….. :tup: :clap:

Have fun mauzi.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

BlueWren post=342960 wrote: I am very, very happy that baby BlueWren bunny will not become booties …………….. :tup: :clap:

Have fun mauzi.

No, not enough fur on a baby. Best to wait till she’s big… :whistle:

👿

BlueWrenBlueWren

Yes, you realise yourself, It’s back to Dr Stevil for you ……..you nasty ,nasty man!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry mauzi………..you were asking about felting ……….

mauzimauzi

Thanks veginout, bet they were nice and warm. 😆 Bluewren, no, baby bluewren is most definitely safe. Steve, you are such a devil, but a nice one :D:

kerriebkerrieb

I don’t felt but I get a quite a few felters after a natural 100% olive oil soap as their preferred soap for felting. Might be worth hunting some done locally for yourself.

mauzimauzi

Thanks kerrieb, will check it out.

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

Yay :tup: … something else to add to the this 🙂

:whistle:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.