Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Feeding pigs – an alternative to pellets.

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Feeding pigs – an alternative to pellets.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    chickachickachickachicka

Howdy! We’re currently feeding our 10 week old pigs kitchen scraps, supplemented with pellets, however as with any commercial feed, I’m a little concerned as to what they put in there. What have you used to feed your pigs? I’m wondering if I can buy some bulk grain like barley? I’ve tried googling, but I can’t find any specific information. It seems when it comes to pigs, most people just say they eat what we eat, and they eat anything. I’d love to hear about what’s worked for you.

Thanks, Mel

mauzimauzi

Hi,

I also was concerned about pellets so have been feeding our pigs our own mix for many years now. The pellets are convenient and you do get good results but not for me. I believe you can now get organic pellets though so that might be an option.

We feed our pigs a mix of barley, corn and dun peas (a legume popular in tasmania) soaked for two/three days before feeding. It means we have a few buckets around but the grain softens so that it does not just pass through their system wasting both nutrition and money. To this we add 1/4 tsp per pig copper sulphate for worming. They also get sprouts (we have a fodder machine), scraps, are free ranged and get some herbs like comfrey and other bits and pieces.

I am reticent to give quantities not knowing your circumstances, how much scraps they get, if they are penned or free range, breed of pig etc. The best rule of thumb as a general goes on to their condition and adjusting accordingly.

redhen2redhen2

mauzi, can you elaborate on your fodder machine? does it do anything that a series of buckets with holes would not (as far as sprouting grain goes)?

thansk

kathy

donkeynomaddonkeynomad

Be careful putting that on a public forum. It is illegal to feed pigs kitchen scraps in Australia, even if they don’t contain meat products. It is better to mix up your own grain mix if you don’t want to buy commercial pellets. If you read the label on the pellet bag they will have all the ingredients on them and they are really not bad and don’t usually contain anything ‘bad’.

Yes it really is illegal to feed pigs kitchen scraps or any sort of meat products – I have a family member high up in the pig industry.

mauzimauzi

Hi redhen, The fodder machine is very efficient in terms of quantity. The sprouts are about 5-6″ long and very thick so quite different to what you would get in a bucket situation. I will post a photo if I can find one. We have now moved and actually have the fodder machine for sale, even though I was very happy with the results, but we are now on alternative power and cannot run the machine. It was interesting that we did a trial with some friends of ours and fed pigs out of the same litter on three different feeds. One a commercial pellet, one a home mix and ours with the fodder machine. Our pigs was 20 kg heavier at kill time and it cost us a third of the amount, so that gives you an idea of efficiency and grain to weight ratio.

mauzimauzi

Found some photos of the fodder machine.

Sprouts – 1 kg to 1 1/2 kg barley comes to approx 9 kg of fodder in 6 days.

and the machine. Ours does 6 biscuits per day.

redhen2redhen2

thanks for the pics, mauzi. makes me think we might be able to get a similar effect with our aquaponics system. i’ll have to think about how to make it work…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.