Aussies Living Simply

Far-fetched advertising..

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Far-fetched advertising..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    marz

And the meals looked pretty small too 🙂

“Coles named in Choice Shonky awards

26/10/2010 12:00:00 PM

Supermarket group Coles has made it into this year’s Shonky Awards by consumer group Choice for its under $10 meals promotion.

Coles gets a Shonky for the promotion, fronted by celebrity chef Curtis Stone, which claims four people can be fed for less than $10.

“The catch is you have to already happen to have some of the ingredients in your pantry, which aren’t included in the price,” Choice said on Tuesday.

“If you include the uncosted pantry items (including three quarters of a bottle of wine) in Curtis’ $7.76 Coq au vin it would actually cost more than $30.”

Read more here: http://money.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8112916&rf=true

Greth

Yeah, having lived on a pension I would love to create recipes that would actually cost less than $10 to feed 4 or 5, it can be done easily even buying the full packets, tho often better to get just the amount you need from the deli section. The way the $10 meals are set up with Coles sucks.

Unfortunately my bottom line would be – buy yourself some punnets of seedlings and you can have loads more useful ingredients for not much at all!

Judi B
    Keymaster

Greth wrote:

Yeah, having lived on a pension I would love to create recipes that would actually cost less than $10 to feed 4 or 5, it can be done easily even buying the full packets, tho often better to get just the amount you need from the deli section. The way the $10 meals are set up with Coles sucks.

Unfortunately my bottom line would be – buy yourself some punnets of seedlings and you can have loads more useful ingredients for not much at all!

DS is in Brisbane and has a wide choice of markdown produce and he said there is no way you could feed 4 people for $10 even buying the markdowns he was flat out doing it for himself and a friend.

Greth: growing your own would be fine if you had space to grow stuff ….

Ravyk

Yeah apparently the meal portions aren’t even enough for a small child.

porgey

Its quite disgraceful. Sadly its typical of the big retailers and its clearly misleading. Coles upper management are so far from there customers reality and to actually think that you can feed 4 people with there full recipes for under $10 from produce bought from there stores is delusional.

You should never be able to make a meal for four people for under $10 from store bought food that is grown hundreds of miles from the store, is handled, processed, packaged, transported, frozen / chilled, hyped (advertised, marketed, sold) and marked up to blazes. To do this the poor farmers have to get so little for there efforts and our food supply becomes controlled by corporate dictum.

Its symptomatic of the greedy profit orientated big business’ that are trying to control our food supply. Its even more reason to grow your own, and shop locally & small.

Greth

mmm, a cob of bread (can be day old, no problems there), jar of tomato paste, some shredded cheese and ham/bacon from the deli, and an onion – voila, doorsteps! guaranteed filling. Much better of course with herby additions.

Wazza

Last night’s dinner for two – Frittata.

4 eggs (from the chooks)

Leftover cooked vegies (from the garden)

Grated Parmesan cheese

Salt and pepper

Tablespoon of olive oil

Served with home made crusty bread rolls.

Total cost around $1, or $2 at the very most. Living simply beats Coles any day.

Ravyk

Wazza wrote:

Living simply beats Coles any day.

Amen to that. :metal::clap:

Greth

Can do plenty of those, Wazza, was trying to stick to Coles ingredients for those without gardens.

Incidentally, anyone got a use for at least 3 dozen eggs?

mistyhollows

Greth wrote:

Can do plenty of those, Wazza, was trying to stick to Coles ingredients for those without gardens.

Incidentally, anyone got a use for at least 3 dozen eggs?

Never tried it Greth but:

http://www.dehydratorbook.com/dehydrate-eggs.html

bluezbandit

Pavlovas galore nummy nummy nummy!

becca

I can do a meal for 4 adults for $10 or under, with bought ingredients, but it does need to be vegetarian or vegan, and legume-based.

I’m actually in process of cooking the meal in this week’s Coles catalogue, even though I don’t usually cook them… not because of costing, but just because it’s usually stuff we don’t eat (pork or beef). It will blow out to way more than $10 simply because we’re using free range chicken drumsticks, rather than Coles, local honey rather than Coles, organic soy sauce (no tamari, boo) rather than Coles… you get the picture! 😆 But I think it will be tasty, and the children should enjoy them, and there will be leftovers for M to eat tomorrow.

The other gripe I have with the meals is that they’re not particularly balanced. This meal I’m cooking includes no vegies in the costing (although it does come under at $7 something so I guess you could squeeze them in if you were being a bit tight, or, of course, if you grew them yourself). I was going to make a curry out of the catalogue a while back and realised that it would be a) tasteless and b) lacking in protein – it was a vegie curry which had only vegies. I’d be hungry in an hour after eating that!

And another thing!! (While I’m on a roll :shy: ) The salt and fat! We’re using skinless drumsticks because they’re quite a bit lower in fat, and cooking the rice is supposed to require stock AND salt, when there’s already salt in the soy sauce as well… it bothers me because these are areas where it’s so easy to have too much when you get takeaway foods, and if you’re trying to encourage people to eat cheaper and healthier at home, shouldn’t there be an emphasis on healthier options?

Right. I could use a little help down off this soapbox please. I’m feeling a little light headed after all that!!

marz

“Becca wrote: I was going to make a curry out of the catalogue a while back and realised that it would be a) tasteless and b) lacking in protein…”

Yeh pretty tasteless I’d imagine… but maybe a good use for all that junk mail :lol::lol::lol:

Lady Bee
    Keymaster

anyone got a use for at least 3 dozen eggs?

Invite 10-12 people over for eggs benedict?

Greth

I would have to tidy the house first, that could be going too far!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.