Aussies Living Simply

Fairy Garden – What Plants to use??

Home Forums SIMPLE SUSTAINABLE LIVING Ornamental Gardens Fairy Garden – What Plants to use??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MorriskeMorriske

Hi All

Cam and I commandeered the girls cubby house this weekend and have turned it into a veritable chook palace. Kids never used it and we figured the chooks would prefer it to their current corrugated iron lean to.

Well even though the kids didn’t really use it, they are less than impressed that it is gone, so we have offered them a fairy garden in return. I’m thinking a combination of paving and pretty stones with flowering plants all around, but what to plant???????

It is a very shady spot in the garden, under two huge sycamore trees and backing onto the stable and old chook house. All I have that is suitable for that much shade is some clivias. Can anyone suggest some pretty plants for shade that I can buy to get some instant effect without blowing the budget?

Thanks, Keri.

kiwimamakiwimama

How about a quirky homemade fairy house hidden in a crevice somewhere? Furniture made from slices of branch prunings etc. It would take a bit of time, but the kids could help and it would be free … 😉

KirstyKirsty

butterfly bushes…not sure of the real name but I think it starts with B:confused: Angels trumpets, a climber. Fairies love them…think they may be called brugmansias or something

katerinakaterina

maybe try

Helleborus (Lenten rose)

Anemone (Japanese wind flowers)

Plectranthus (Mona lavender)

Euphorbia (use away from edges as sap can be irriating to skin)

Ajuga reptans (groundcover)

Heuchera sp

sweet violet

Australian native violet (Viola hederacea)

Dichondra

Clivia (expensive to buy, best to divide from a friends clump)

if I can think of others i will let you know

jaymesjaymes

jasmines, mosses, tiny orange fungii 😉

(tinkerbell’s house, and all her cousins too 😉 )

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

kirsty wrote:

butterfly bushes…not sure of the real name but I think it starts with B:confused: Angels trumpets, a climber. Fairies love them…think they may be called brugmansias or something

You’re probably thinking of buddleja.

Some small cyclamen would look lovely under the sycamore. Don’t forget some bulbs – bluebells particularly. Don’t know if they’ll grow in shade, but fairies love Foxgloves, Daisies to make daisy chains, dandelions for fairy clocks.

Something my Dad did for me when I was a little girl was made me some toadstools which became seats in my fairy garden. They were made of concrete and he painted them white with red spots on. I loved them.

ChezzaChezza
    Participant

Bulbs were the first thing I thought of as well…. Maiden Hair fern would look lovely. Also some solar lights would make the place look magical at night…. Old bird houses/feeders and any old ornaments would look great as well!

TheExpertVGLTheExpertVGL

Ornamental strawberry, Irish moss, Blue Star Creeper, Baby tears, are some plants used in fairy garden.

bluezbanditbluezbandit

Dierama or fairy’s fishing rods or lily of the valley

bluezbanditbluezbandit
    bluezbanditbluezbandit

colourscolours

impatiens, nasturtiums, a silver birch would be beautifull too (a tree, but would prob not grow too high in shade. I love the idea of the concrete mushroom, I’d like one for me! Gardenias and hydrangeas and don’t forget to paint any woody bits silver. Some solar lights? Liriopes planted as a border against a path. Common mint.

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

Lady B post=106374 wrote:

kirsty wrote:

You’re probably thinking of buddleja.

Some small cyclamen would look lovely under the sycamore. Don’t forget some bulbs – bluebells particularly. Don’t know if they’ll grow in shade, but fairies love Foxgloves, Daisies to make daisy chains, dandelions for fairy clocks.

Something my Dad did for me when I was a little girl was made me some toadstools which became seats in my fairy garden. They were made of concrete and he painted them white with red spots on. I loved them.

You could also try salvias as they are really hardy.

Lady B is right, it is buddleja, I love them.

Just so you know though Foxgloves are poisionous:

http://www.botanical-online.com/alcaloidesdedalerasangles.htm

Lavender, bluebell bulbs, violets as a groundcover. I have some mushroom seats I bought online in my kids play area and they are completely in the open. One of the tops has cracked and split open :ohmy: .

Impatiens are lovely but need a trim as they can get leggy, but if you get a couple you can strike more very easily in a glass of water and they grow like a weed and love the shade. You can also get heaps of different colours. Solar fairy lights but unless your kids are out there at night it probably doesn’t make sense. Seaside daisy is another along with margeurite daisy http://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/annual/marguerite-daisy/. Margeurite daisy also strikes very easily for new plants.

kerriebkerrieb

Angels trumpets are highly poisonous probably not ideal for the kids to be playing with. Not sure where you are but the old fashioned fuschias double as fairies here in the kids games. Scented leaf plants and flowers the kids can make potions out of are good value. DD and her friends have been brewing up all sorts of concoctions out of mint, lemon balm, rose petals etc.

ClarafloClaraflo

An old rotting log, with moss and lots of water in the hopes you’ll get fungi. :woohoo:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.