Aussies Living Simply

Experiences with RAL Homes?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ahningahning

Has anyone here built, lived in, or otherwise experienced a RAL home?

http://www.ralhomes.com.au.

Our dream property, with house, is about to be bought by someone else so we’re going back to older dreams. These buildings fascinate me, but I’ve never actually been inside one. A bit concerned about re-sale too.

Anyway, anyone??

Cheers,

Ahning

stark2stark2

I havent but they look interesting and seem easy to assemble and add to and in a strange way seem to suit bush blocks

kiwimamakiwimama

Very interesting! Thanks for posting …

:tup:

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you can get over to Ararat (where they are made) they have samples that you can get in and have a look around..

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

No experience here.. but I like the look of them 🙂

TullymoorTullymoor

They’ve been around for donkey’s ages, I always liked the look of them too. :tup:

LollyLolly
    Keymaster

We’ve been seriously considering the RAL homes as our property is about 5 minutes out of Ararat. I’ve not been inside one but my partner Ray has and he was quite impressed, which for Ray is saying a lot!! 😆

I like the fact that they are modular, so can be added onto at any time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Lolly wrote:

I like the fact that they are modular, so can be added onto at any time.

Yeah I really like that feature as well.. sort of like buy what you can afford now, and add on as needed 🙂

LeecyLeecy

Never heard of them before, but I like!!!

ahningahning

Thanks people. Lolly if you have a chance to get to the display area it would be great to read your impressions. I can’t quite get a feel for the the height of the vertical wall before it starts to curve. I put together some floor plans the other day, using the 2D plans page on their website. That helped get a sense of scale, and so does seeing the step by step building photos. But there’s no substitute for being inside. We’ll most definitely go to Ararat before we make any decisions.

I found one guy in another forum who built one and lived in it for a year. He loved it.

Cheers

Ahning

toosusietoosusie

Flaming expensive way to go. I can’t believe their hardwood floors are cheaper than treated pine:jawdrop: What would you rather have?

ahningahning

Morning toosusie, maybe they use recycled hardwood?? Don’t know about expensive: 3 months ago a bloke who’d been living in his new house on his newly subdivided hectare for about 12 months told us that we wouldn’t get a house near there for under half a million. I didn’t believe him, but it sure makes the RALS look like a bargain.

One of the things I like most about them is that the gutters are low and easy for ageing people to keep clean without ladders. The other is that they seem to be very well made.

I’m talking myself into this. Somebody tell me they’re fantastic so I can start arguing against them :shy:

Ahning

toosusietoosusie

Hey Ahning check out Peter Lees designs. Just google him. His knowledge is awesome. How does $20,000 sound? Doesn’t include plumbing, wiring, government fees or permits etc. They cost more than the actual house 😡 It’s made me very cynical about government’s real willingness to address the housing crisis 🙁

yvonnehyvonneh

You may want to check out http://www.mtbest.net where there is some more information about someone who has built one.

mary dollmary doll

love the look of the RAL house……keep this in mind when i find my bush block and build the house of my dreams….

MD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.