Aussies Living Simply

Evacuated tube solar hot water

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    russ

G’day, came across evacuated tubes today…anyone wanna share any experiences with them?

Has anyone had both flat panel and evac tubes that they could compare?

I’m doing some research towards my future build and any info would be appreciated.

Snags

I have the t00bs

They are excellent,I have only had to turn the electric boost on about 2 or 3 days a year.

The only negative is you are relying on a computer that monitors temps of top and bottom of tank and roof and turns a pump on to circulate water to maximise heat.

A few year later its working well but it will obviously fail at some point.

Nothing will last for ever but if/when I was to replace the system in the future it would be for a more low tech version.

Though I could replace the components pretty cheaply with out too much hardship if they fail today.

Im just concerned about being tied to corporations that may fail in a post peak oil induced economic collapse.

The upside is massively reduced power bills which will be used to repair or replace as needed in the future.

Its a good investment environmentally and economically.

russ

Thanks for the reply, how big is your tank and how many people does it service.

How long have you had it, what state are you in?

How many tubes do you have?

Lots of questions I know…..

Thanks

Snags

From the Apricus website

• 1-2 Bedrooms: 20-22 Tubes with a 250ltr Tank

• 3-4 Bedrooms: 30 Tubes with 315ltr Tank

• 4+ Bedrooms: 40 Tubes with 400ltr Tank

I am 2 bedroom 2 people mainly Qld.

…..forgot Ive had it for about 3 years

russ

Thanks

Fishfood

Give this bloke a ring they have imported thousands over the last few years

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/merchant/benm5200

Alcione

Im a little late getting to this post 🙁

I have a 24 tube system. Bought it from solaroz (search online for them). Cost less than 1500 delivered to Tassie. Its been up for almost 3 years now and works very well. Cost was reasonable and service excellent. ITs a 250ltr which is ample for our little bush cabin. It has a manual electrical boost option via a generator. During winter solar down here is pretty useless for 2-3 months so we have a wetback on the combustion stove which heats the water to boiling point in about 7 hours if we let it. Overall, very happy with the system.

My only beef with the system is during peak summer, the water boils and I have to get on the roof with a small tarp to cover the tubes. Someone should invent a little gizmo which would do this automatically. Like a blind pulling across the tubes.

On the point of reliance on another company for future servicing or parts, I absolutely agree. If I had a decent workshop and time, I would have built this system  http://www.solarfriend.co.uk/   

Bullseye

G’day Alcione, re your solaroz wetback model, are the evacuated tubes water filled? Thanks.

alice915

I used to bought a solar pump in the Renesola,but i have no idea to use it.so anyone can say something???

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.