Aussies Living Simply

Establishing a pasture/yard for geese

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Establishing a pasture/yard for geese

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by XioXio.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Is it much the same as establishing a regular lawn? So far my geese seem to eat grass, barley grass (sprouting from the barley straw mulch) and fallen apples. Oh, plus grain when they can convince me to give them some. They ignore all the rest of the vegetables in the garden (apart from stomping on them on their way to the barley grass, that is).

If I were going to plant a new yard out from scratch, do I just plant grass seed? Clover? Other herbs? Different KINDS of grass? And is it a matter of throwing out the grass seed, watering regularly and then leaving it until it’s pretty well established before letting the geese into it?

I have 3 geese. Is 10sqm per goose enough? Right now they are just living in my orchard and backyard, which is perfect for right now, but if I wanted to establish a new area what would that entail exactly? Starting from no grass whatsoever.

lostinthefoglostinthefog

I don’t know if this is of any help but there is a huge flock of semi wild geese here and they feed on pasture grass…it’s obviously goose heaven as they also have river access, they have so many youngsters this year!

I’d go to your local ag supply place..Roberts, Elders- whoever- and buy a bag of pasture grass seed, maybe mix in some barley seed and other grain seed, clover etc.

As to how much land per goose…no idea…they poop a LOT so I guess they’d need a fair bit to keep things not too smelly!

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

The stocking rate would be worked out roughly based on the dpi recomendations:

“The stocking density for geese on pasture will vary depending on the quality of the pasture and the age and size of the geese. But as a guide, growing geese can be stocked at a density of 50–100 birds/ha, and breeding geese at about 20 birds/ha.”

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/agriculture/livestock/poultry/feeding/feeding-geese

You should also check out the fao as they write a lot of reports based on low or no income projects, they recommend a few types of pasture, unfortunately they are based on merry old England but should give you an idea of what could work. I would not consider their stocking rates as Australia is a lot hotter, dryer and generally harsher than England:

“When planting a pasture specifically for geese, it should be noted that they will eat almost any grass or clover species although they do not like alfalfa as much as other clovers. One pasture mixture that has been recommended in Great Britain consists of Perenial Ryegrass (Lolium perenne L.), Timothy (Phleum pratense L.) and White Clover (Trifolium repens L.). Stocking densities for geese on pasture are around 150 geese per hectare depending on the quality of the forage and how fast it is growing. Geese like new growth, so pasture management should be practised and it should include rotation and clipping.”

http://www.fao.org/docrep/005/Y4359E/y4359e0b.htm

My favourite fao report written on different small animal production in low or no income areas is http://www.fao.org/ag/againfo/themes/documents/ibys/7.htm I can’t remember if it includes geese or if they are considered too high maintanence. I do know that some of their conclusions were unexpected, apparently guinea fowl, turkeys and mallard derived ducks are too high maintanence so they tend not to be farmed in no income villages.

lostinthefoglostinthefog

I reckon whoever said Geese, Turkeys and Guinea Fowl were high maintanence is full of what comes out of their rear ends!

There are semi wild populations of all of them in our area…the Turkeys breed very successfully, as do the Geese and Guinea Fowl…I suppose completely free range stock is different-anyway they obviously do well when humans don’t interfere!

narellehnarelleh

our geese free range durng the day – and they eat mainly grass and fruit but they will eat palm fronds, banana trees and lillies and other small plants particularly. They will eat all veg in the garden when it gets dry hence i have no veg garden at mo cos i am using it as a goose shelter.

XioXio

When we had geese we only use to hand feed a little every couple of days to keep them friendly. These seemed to get by pretty well without interference. If they felt the tucker was not up to scratch they would just visit the neighbours.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.