Aussies Living Simply

English

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    SilentSilent

There are problems, to be sure,

With children nowadays

Their English is American

They’ve learned those wicked ways

Why are we surprised that

They don’t work any harder?

For they are don’t see themselves

in “honor”, “labor” or “valor”

They cannot learn two spell

Without a spell-cheque ap’

And even then its plane two sea

That they’re spelling is crap.

The pluperfect tense is in the past

The subjective tense depends

The accusative will start a fight

Today, grammar lessons end

Even their poetry has gone awry

They put a few too many extra syllables into every second line

But what I really hate

Is that the last words don’t sound the same

But language always changes

(Except for the Latin speaker

For Latin, being a dead tongue

Will always live forever)

We are being left behind

By ppl who h8 2 spll

And the English we knew and loved

Will burn in SMS hell

No doubt that in twenty years

They will mourn for the days

When predictive text was compulsory learning

Because of “kids these days”

AndreAndre
    Keymaster

AND .. apart from all the above…

grammar!

Certainly irritating to decipher a paragraph when the appropriate commas, period.. etc aren’t used.. :blink:

Whenever I open a document (on the computer)or start one of my own, I always use the Aussie dictionary

.. not the US.

A while back, when I submitted some writing to an online website, my ‘incorrect’ spelling was pointed out. I explained that, since the majority of the English speaking world spelt this way, and only Americans spelt those particular words differently, I would continue to spell the way I was taught.

my 2c 🙂

BobbeeBobbee

:wave:

Hey Silent, what a clever cloggs you are!!!!! :clap: :clap:

And don’t you dare go correcting me gramma cos it aintint eny good. :blush:

I very much enjoy beginning a sentence with ‘and’ because it wasn’t allowed at school.

😛 😛 😛

Much of what has come before in this thread are also things that annoy me, something else that annoys me is the apparently ‘in’ expression ‘from the getgo’. grrrrr!!! :ohmy:

Bobbs :hug:

RobyneRobyne

The way Bobbee just wrote is very Cockney they drop their letters

When you go to different areas of the UK they all sound so different. Same here in Australia different states sound differnt. My neices were born and have lived all their lives in NSW and we can pick a lot of US words in their speech. Different to the rest of the family from Vic they tend to drop certain letters when they talk.

It takes me ages to read any messages from my sons on the phone as half of what they say I just don’t understand. :shrug:

clueless2clueless2

Decimate. It means one in ten, not total annihilation. Why does it get so abused on such a regular basis? Gah!!!!

WombatWombat

clueless2 post=324965 wrote: Decimate. It means one in ten, not total annihilation. Why does it get so abused on such a regular basis? Gah!!!!

Ummm, no!

I think it actually comes from the old roman torture/execution method of being cut into 10 pieces………

Nev 🙂

BullseyeBullseye

I hear this one often on the news, “hyperthermia”, when someone is reported to have had an accident and spent some time in a “cold” ocean, lake or river. The news reader reports the person is suffering from “hyperthermia”, which means “the condition of having a body temperature greatly above normal”, when the condition should have been pronounced “hypothermia” – Brrr.

:wave:

ahningahning

Wombat post=325006 wrote:

Decimate. It means one in ten, not total annihilation. Why does it get so abused on such a regular basis? Gah!!!!

Ummm, no!

I think it actually comes from the old roman torture/execution method of being cut into 10 pieces………

Nev 🙂

Ummmm, yes!!

The old Roman method was a disciplinary measure used in the army, mostly during the Republic before mercenaries predominated (money complicates everything). Wikipedia has quite a good description:

A unit selected for punishment by decimation was divided into groups of ten; each group drew lots (Sortition), and the soldier on whom the lot fell was executed by his nine comrades, often by stoning or clubbing. The remaining soldiers were given rations of barley instead of wheat and forced to sleep outside the Roman encampment.

Because the punishment fell by lot, all soldiers in the group were eligible for execution, regardless of the individual degree of fault, or rank and distinction.

The leadership was usually executed independently of the one in ten deaths of the rank and file.

In modern usage the word usually means nearly or entirely obliterated, which is a whole lot more than the Roman generals meant – they had to keep a fighting force after all. No doubt someone wanted to sound impressive and didn’t know the historical meaning, but there’s not much point worrying about it now.

And any errors in my post are deliberate examples of the Law of Pedantic Pickering: Thou whose mind dwelleth upon the tupographical, speling, grammatitial, or userage errors of others, thine own message shall be destroyed by these same Four Riders of the Erroneous, but only when thou hast something really important to say.

Ahning (formerly professional writer and editor, but you’d never know it from here)

mountainmummountainmum

Oh how lovely, I always thought it was just me being pedantic :laugh:

Here I can air my top grievances without judgement…!

There/their/they’re

Where/were/we’re

‘Sort’ after (very popular with real estate agents) instead of ‘sought’ 👿

…and the apostrophe that oddly appears when it shouldn’t and not when it should! (my mother loves to put one in every single word ending in ‘s’ :S )

I do despair at the next generation too with their use of ‘txt talk’ – it seems no-one in education is overly concerned at the lack of proper spelling and grammar.

I also had a teacher in Junior school in England that would not allow us to use the word ‘get’. He said there was always a more descriptive and appropriate word. During my schooling English language was much more important than it seems to be now. 🙁

SilentSilent

This may be somewhat off topic.. ( and gee, I am sweating as I type this, trying not to make an error)

I was in a grocery store a few days ago and they were selling googles in their cheap bins. Yes googles for the eyes to wear while swimming. I do believe the internet now runs the whole world.

This wasn’t written on the bin by a shop assistant, this was printed on the packaging.

mountainmummountainmum

LOL at Silent and BM (yes, I am using the very abbreviations I was ranting about… save me!) :laugh:

SilentSilent

I’ve been thinking hard and I have found my “Hyperthermia/Googles/Decimate” phrase: “Aspirin thins the blood.”

I feel like pushing someone’s face through a chain link fence whenever I hear that meaningless saying.

:angry:

clueless2clueless2

Wombat post=325006 wrote:

Ummm, no!

Nev 🙂

Roman yes. Torture – no. It was their habit to count off nine soldiers, and kill the tenth, then count of nine soldiers and kill the tenth and so forth through the Century. It not only punished the troop as a whole, it also forced the men to be more aware of their reliance on their colleagues and so promoted peer pressure in the right direction, rather than mutiny.

BobbeeBobbee

clueless2 post=325026 wrote:

Ummm, no!

Nev 🙂

Roman yes. Torture – no. It was their habit to count off nine soldiers, and kill the tenth, then count of nine soldiers and kill the tenth and so forth through the Century. It not only punished the troop as a whole, it also forced the men to be more aware of their reliance on their colleagues and so promoted peer pressure in the right direction, rather than mutiny.

Bloody Hell!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.