Aussies Living Simply

English

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    mustermuster

Perhaps it is just that I’m getting grumpy in my old age but I just can’t stand “everythink’, ‘sumpthink’, ‘could of’, ‘impordant’, ‘budder’ (George Calombaris pronunciation of butter). Also getting on my goat is the misuse (or overuse) of words such as “surreal’ and ‘disgusting’.

porgeyporgey

Muster, I have to agree. I can sort of understand buDDer for buTTer but how do you get k instead of g rounding off every/something? The letter k is a different vocal sound.

Quite agree about the overuse of certain words and add to the list awesome, legend, genius etc. If the people being described as such are a true reflection of the real meaning of the words in relation to the rest of the population then we are a pretty sorry lot. The misuse of these words is almost comic and a true life spoof of a large part of the gene pool.

sue esue e

One thing that really gets up my nose is hearing politicians say “immune from”!Or the Americans saying “different than”! :angry:

bluezbanditbluezbandit

I hate the use of “v or f” instead of “th” for example, togever, or everyfing.

It can’t be that hard, surely!

Deb

mauzimauzi

Agree with all of the above. I have to wonder if this also reflects how the younger generations will view spelling and will this have an impact on their education in the future. Heaven forbid, maybe the spelling will eventually be changed ….cringe …. I also believe words are very important and the overuse of certain words, as discussed, takes out the meaning so that they no longer have the original impact and in many cases, no impact at all. This includes some swear words that are now often common speech but nevertheless, still hold original meaning for many of us and are quite offensive, especially if used in general circumstances. I am not a prude and certainly have been known to use the odd swear word 😆 and at appropriate times this can also have a desired impact, but when used in every day language even this is lost.

SilentSilent

Five words everyone should know:

Their

There

They’re

Your

You’re

GiannaGianna

One of the current buzz words (in big business organisations) is “organic” and it’s annoying me beyond all reason. :laugh:

BlueWrenBlueWren

And aren’t we all so tired of everyone “unpacking” something.I only unpack my ports……. :laugh: QLD speak for suitcases.Or Ozspeak? Love this thread. “Could of” and “should of” are the ones that irritate me the most.

sue esue e

BUT THE REALITY IS……. :sick: 🙁 :angry:

RobyneRobyne

My Granddaughters teacher is in her 50s and every morning the kids all chant the abc and she is a big believer in chanting the times tables.

We did it every morning and it never hurt any of us.

Kids and people are becoming lazy all the words are corrected for them with the computer, No adding up in your head any more all done for you.

When the power goes out in Woolies the kids go into DTs they don’t know what to do its really sad they way the world is

I don’t like the way Harbour has had its U taken out. :woohoo:

Slurring words is a pet hate. and have you seen the writing what happens to the license, :tup: you had to get before you got a biro.

We did pages and pages of 1 letter, till we got it right, then we went on to the next letter. Even seeing kids hold a pen grinds my teeth. It must be very uncomfortable for them to write.

We had a headmaster in primary school who hated the word THEN, He would tear out a page if you wrote it in your book. I still don’t use it a lot even today but THEN hes dead so I think I am safe to use it :shrug:

RommieRommie

Gianna post=324787 wrote: One of the current buzz words (in big business organisations) is “organic” and it’s annoying me beyond all reason. :laugh:

Oh yes, I chuckle when I hear talk about growing business “organically”. I mean, we all know what makes an excellent organic fertiliser… :whistle:

Robyne, I agree spellcheckers are part of the problem because all they can do is check that a word is spelled correctly, but they can’t verify the context. Like the misuse of they’re/there/their (one of my biggest peeves :angry: ) – “Kids these days can’t spell there words” is spelled correctly but it isn’t the right word for the context!

And if you can’t be bothered to write “you” and “your” with the correct number of letters, I’m going to automatically assume you are a teenager!

I confess though that my handwriting is rubbish and I can’t add up. :pinch:

owlbrudderowlbrudder

‘Got’ and ‘gotten’ are two of my hates. My early English lessons were with a teacher who hated ‘got’: she said there is always a better word to use than that. ‘Gotten’ is a nasty I always associated with them durned Yanks, so imagine my surprise when I learned it is a perfectly good English word which has merely gone out of fashion over the last hundred years or so! What I really hate is being proved wrong. Sigh.

I have wry amusement, all too often, at the current lack of knowledge about how to use the apostrophe. A house near here has a sign “Rat’s For Sale”; makes me wonder which part of the rat is being sold. It’s not easy, being perfect.

Of course, to be consistent, I should change the spelling of my nickname, but it is an old family joke and not subject to normal rules.

IdunaIduna

I can’t spell to save my life. I rely heavily on spell check. Not for the lack of my mother trying to teach me, for get about teachers doing their job.

But in saying that I too hate it when people say somefing, or the overuse of the word epic. I hate it when I read a text message and it has r and u in place of the words. It’s worse when it comes from people that are old enough to be my mother.

Don’t mix up the lack of spelling ability with age or intelligence.

weaverweaver

I can’t stand the use of yous!! 🙁 I have a bad habit of baaing when someone uses it :blush:

I had a manager recently who liked to use business jargon. Her favourite was “levering synergies” :jawdrop: I dont think it actually means anything she just liked the sound of it. :shrug:

BlueWrenBlueWren

I love language and books but I’m OK with abbreviations in text messages .I know it doesn’t take much more effort to put “your” instead of “ur”, and “are” instead of “r”, or “see you” instead of “cu”, but the short versions r just convenient.That last r is when it becomes unacceptable.There was a thread on here recently about our use of DH, DW, SIL , SO etc , for me it’s OK, just convenient,not inaccurate ……… but what is happening please when kids have a DT :laugh: :laugh: a Death Throw? Yes,very importantly, poor spelling doesn’t necessarily indicate low intelligence, and for many folk Spellcheck must be a godsend.My DH reads just fine, but has huge issues with spelling and doesn’t write more than he has to, but he adds up figures in his head and give him a practical problem to solve , sort someone’s plumbing etc etc and you don’t need anyone else.Me, I’ll write a letter or a long involved essay any day, but when I served in tuck shop I would only do the $1 drinks so the maths was easy. :shrug: I still have coniptions if someone buys several differently priced items from my market stall, and I have been known to give the wrong change on more than one occasion.That’s when they look at their change, then look back at me with The Look.It’s pretty embarrassing to have to use a calculator all the time for “simple” stuff.Language has always evolved and changed over time.Ever read Chaucer? When I was teaching the whole teaching staff had to do hours and hours of a course called “The New Grammar” which supposedly simplified writing correctly.The Old Grammar had served me so easily and well for so many years that I simply could not grasp the New Grammar with all its new terms and constructions!!!Mercifully I was not required to teach it , but the experience did give me an insight into what it must be like for students and people for whom the Old Grammar has always been a mystery.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.