Aussies Living Simply

eggs under a broodie

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dayla

Hi all,

We just got 6 fertile eggs to go under our broodie bantam, Plumpet.

Initially she didn’t want to sit and was trying to get back to the main chook house. So I had to shut her in the nesting box for a couple of hours. It worked, she is sitting fast.

I dusted her earlier in the day with derris dust for any mites she might have.

The eggs came from a friend down the road. A mixture of cross breeds, hopefully they will rejuvenate our egg laying capacity.

Dayla

ps due 9th March

bluezbandit

Goodluck: heres hoping there are no thunder storms to wreck your hatching.

Ediedioh

Tomorrow’s day 7 are you going to candle the eggs to check fertility?

Dayla

I have not done this before. I have heard the term but not sure how to go about it.

Please explain!

Sorry, could you tell me a bit about it and would it upset the hen?

cheers

Dayla

BlueWren

I think you will find mixed opinions on here about candling.Some say do so, others, just leave things be.I’m not an expert so won’t advise one way or the other, except to say that if I was confident that the eggs should be fertile I wouldn’t bother.I have candled once, because I thought it was interesting!

I did it at night ,using a small bright LED torch that would shine up through a toilet roll tube , with the egg held at the other end.I’m not going to go into details about what it looks like , you’ll need to do your own research and make your own decisions.Good luck with the brood.You have Plumpet , I have Crumpet!

Dayla

I have a crumpet to. I think I got the name from you actually. 2 little bantams they are, crumpet small and crumpet coloured and so cute. Plumpet a plumper version is doing the sitting.

cheers

Dayla

Ediedioh

I do it late at night when the hen is dopey. Chooks can’t see blue light so it you cover one torch with blue cellophane to help you navigate to the chookhouse and to where the chook’s nest is, it will hardly know you’re there.

Then you need anothor bright torch to do the actual candling but as the previous posts says that’s half way up a toilet roll so not likely to disturb her either.

The reason I do it is that infertile eggs kept warm and moist grow lots of bacteria and as the bactria multiplies it releases gas and all that pressure building up inside the egg can make the shell break — then all the stinking mess contaminates the good eggs and the embryos die.

The only rule is no candling after day 18 (because the chick is positioning itself ready for hatch and the eggs shouldnt be moved).

Dayla

http://badgerfarmwithdayla.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/plumpet-and-her-chicks.html

here is the link to my blog where you can see lots of pictures of our babies!

Dayla

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.