Aussies Living Simply

Edible front yard plantings.

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Edible front yard plantings.

• This topic has 33 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by SnagsSnags.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    SnagsSnags

My old carport had a passion fruit wall
    Variegated society garlic is gorgeous
     https://www.google.com.au/search?q=society+garlic&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7qKOiqJLKAhWIJ5QKHXD4CakQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=655
    so are  grumichama hedges
    https://www.google.com.au/search?q=society+garlic&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj7qKOiqJLKAhWIJ5QKHXD4CakQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=655#tbm=isch&q=grumichama+hedge
    Here there is no distinction between front and back yard their are fruit trees everywhere
    I use pineapples as hedges to keep the bush turkey away

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Our front and back yard is some what blurred, being on 22 acres. If I have a definite front yard I grow fruit trees and berry bushes. Or would that only entice passers by to nick some fruit? 

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

that’s what I wonder too
    mind you I am in a dead end street, with about 20 houses, more renters than owners, think I’m the only one even growing food
    got a couple in the front, strawberry guava and brazilian cherry – contemplating putting a pear tree out there, behind the natives that are also going in

eta well I’ve done it now, a pear tree is out the front

SnagsSnags

Most fruit trees grow so much fruit you just cant eat it all.
    If you plant it to share with your neighbours its not pinching
    People are eating fruit then they will see how good home grown tastes and how easy it is to grow and plant their own for others to share.
    Its revolutionary

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

oh I’m quite happy to share, but I also want enough to preserve as well, not for someone to strip the whole tree
    I will be preserving, canning, fermenting etc, and swapping, bartering or just plain giving away the excess, but my trees wont be giving the full crop anyway, i’ll be keeping them pruned quite small
    when I say small,  to around 2mtrs

eta – there is also wine  😉

SnagsSnags

Spose dont put the ones you really need too close to the footpath.
    Most people are good
    I had passion fruits on my carport in inner city Melbourne they probably got shared but I still had as much as I needed
    I remember my walks home from school would include detours to include over hanging branches full of fruit.
    Other kids did it too but it wasn’t about stripping the lot but getting a snack on the way past

SnagsSnags

Dad has an Apple Almond Bay Feijoa Nectarine and Apricot all in his front yard in Melbourne no one touches them he gives bags away to the neighbours
    It might depend on the neighbours and suburb and location .

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

yes,  I don’t have a front fence, but I don’t think it will be a problem here, the ferals have moved lol
    my fruit trees are behind the natives, but would still be easy to spot, specially if I have netting around them,
    if people ask I also don’t have a problem of sharing

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

Calliecat if there isn’t another pear tree in your area then you might have to plant another for cross pollination. The same applies to plums.  

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

this one is self pollinating, china pear, part of the nashi family

SnagsSnags

I had one of those in the backyard in Melbourne and a self fertile regular pair too

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

not sure how long I need to wait for fruit??
    hope it’s within 3yrs

SnagsSnags

If its grafted should only be a few years.
    It depends
    I had to wait 8 years for my soursop and the web says about 4 years similar with my gramichama
    My un grafted peach only took a few years

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

thanks

calliecatcalliecat
    Participant

I’m also happy to share with the birds, if I can net half the tree and they can take the top bit that’s fine

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.