Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Echidnas

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

How do we entice echidnas into our garden? Can we get rescued echidnas? I have read they are the natural predator of hopper ants so we have lots of food for them here! Does anyone have any information or experience with them?

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

Oh man, if that’s true that they are a predator of hopper ants, I’d like a whole family of them!

I shall be watching this with interest.

GirlFridayGirlFriday

i found one ambling along in our suburban garden a few months ago when i was out looking for our recalcitrant cat. I rang the national parks and wildlife in a flap thinking the poor thing was lost but she assured me they are quite common suburban creatures- we just dont see them a lot as they come out at night.

TullymoorTullymoor

No experience sorry, good luck though! What about calling your local wildlife rescue/carer people??

They call them porcupines up here, hunt them, bludgeon them with sticks or rocks and eat them. 😐

bushybushy

Be happy to give you some of ours, they enjoy digging around the rock retaining walls and often have rocks slides caused by them.

This is ant city here, so I guess they in heaven, have seen 5 in one day usually at dusk.

bushybushy

Be happy to give you some of ours, they enjoy digging around the rock retaining walls and often have rocks slides caused by them.

This is ant city here, so I guess they in heaven, have seen 5 in one day usually at dusk.

If you contact your state’s parks and wildlife service they will be able to put you in contact with rescues. You may even be able to apply for a permit to keep native wildlife and ‘rescue’ one yourself. Look into it and let us know what you find out. They do, however do terrible things to your vege patch, so bear that in mind if you value it. Raised beds might sort out the problem though…

TullymoorTullymoor

digging around the rock retaining walls and often have rocks slides caused by them

What a prick of a thing 🙂

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

You’re very sharp today, Tully! 😉

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

Bandicoot Valley wrote:

How do we entice echidnas into our garden? Can we get rescued echidnas? I have read they are the natural predator of hopper ants so we have lots of food for them here! Does anyone have any information or experience with them?

You can not get a rescued echidna as they have to be released back into the same area as they were found as they have a home territory.

Echidnas are tricky things to care for most come in with beak injuries, our carers try to get them back home ASAP.

If you have the right conditions such as food and shelter you may already have them as they are nocturnal.

tarntarn

Hi

One of my neighbors has a big stone dish of water out under her water tank and she keeps it filled. Its frequented by echidnas that love splashing about in it-maybe you could give that a try, especially if its a dry area. I’ve seen two in my backyard this past spring rummaging around for ants & worms but i have no water out for them. I love the creatures. Amazing animals – I’d love to encourage them to my place more.

Cheers

tarn

I love Echidnas, probably my favourite animal. We had one at our old place once but haven’t seen any here yet.

P

KaffKaff

All the echidnas I’ve seen here are always in heavy eucalypt leaf litter and fallen debris, it seems to be where their favourite food hides. If you have any native scrub at all leave it to build up a good understory with a lot of mulch. Very hard to do around your house in this season in the Adelaide Hills, though.

I had one (or two? or six? they all look the same to me) where I used to live that would lick the ants off the wheelie bin at night. He’d (or she’d) reach right up on its back legs and snuffle about with it’s little nose. One night I heard a really loud noise like “scrub, scrub, scrub!” out the front to find an echindna digging up my jute doormat to get at the ants. Over two nights it destroyed it completely! They have extremely powerful claws. I still love them, though.

Just never use insecticide where you are and provide plenty of cover, they are very shy and quite nocturnal.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.