Aussies Living Simply

Duck pond ecosystem- how can I make it work

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE CONSTRUCTION, ENERGY and WATER CONSERVATION Backyard projects Duck pond ecosystem- how can I make it work

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jenoka77

Today I upcycled a 1000litre hydraulic oil tank into 2 ponds for the ducks. The middle section will be the frame work for a raised garden bed. 1 pond is about 2’deep and holds 400litres of water. The other is only 9″ deep and about 150litres. Both ponds have draining valves and float valves to keep them filled to capacity. What I want to achieve inthe larger pond is an ecosystem with plants and fish ( either small feeder fish for the ducks, or a few larger fish that can’t be eaten that won’t harm the ducks) I don’t want to have to keep draining and refilling. The drains are set up to run into my watering system for the orchard for when I need to drain. Not sure if this makes sense or if it’s possible. But I’m sure someone on here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks Jodie

Jenoka77

larger pond

smaller pond

S.O.P

You will need to do some serious filtering of the water through a biological (plant) system so you won’t need to drain, just top-up.

Something like this?:

Duckponics

redhen2

we’d thought about doing something similar. you’d need to run it just like an aquaponics system, with growing media to filter through, a sump to hold water after filtering and (obviously) a pump to take the water back up. you’ll also need the appropriate bacteria, as well.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.