Aussies Living Simply

Drought and trees

Home Forums SUSTAINABLE COMMUNITIES Think Tank Drought and trees

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Sonya

From ABC News Online.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200704/s1901202.htm

Murray-Darling farmers face water shut-off.

Fed Govt will cut off water to farmers in the Murray-Downs region in the next six to eight weeks unless there is significant rain fall.

Heard Bill Mollison interviewed on local radio yesterday. He was asked what he would do if he was PM. He said the first thing to do is replant the coastal strip with trees to produce rain inland – trees = condensation = precipitation (rain).

Have also heard that trees and plants release a bacteria which ‘seeds’ clouds and generates rainfall.

Radio interviewer said he spoke to an 90-odd year old ‘timber-getter’ about 15 years ago and he said his work cutting down trees along the coast here in Queensland would lead to a future drought.

Why aren’t we planting more trees – why don’t the politicians act?

Sonya

Lyn Bagnall

Because, Sonya, the federal govt is more focused on the economy than correcting environmental problems they listen to the wrong advisers. They just don’t believe the predictions that doing nothing about climate change will be more damaging to the economy than addressing the problem now. I think it’s the height of hypocrisy for the govt. to offer money to stop illegal logging in Indonesia while refusing to ban the import of illegally-logged timbers and, at the same time, support logging in our own country just to provide Japan with wood chips. It breaks my heart to see people like Tim Flannery and Peter Andrews ignored when they have practical solutions to offer. 🙁

Anonymous

sonya,

why? a good question and i join you in asking it, my guess is too many egg heads around with their own flight and fancy ideas that are better than nature ever supplied! well in their minds.

whilst they dilly dally pointing fingers of blame and looking for instant bandaides the problem is never ever going to get better.

if we don’t plant trees now then there will be no rain further down the line, we are custodians for our grandchildrens, children after all.

and as for pollies well they only work short to medium term and tree planting will be a hard sell to the masses who unlike us have absolutley no idea about anything that isn’t sport. there current thinking plant windmills where trees should be!! not only plant trees but the whole bio-diversity and make factory farmers responsible as well to rehabilitate farm degraded land, better put a stop to anymore massive clearing for these developments.

yep i reckon a timber getter would have some foresight, just like farmers who know where they are going wrong and run with the mob anyway.

not just trees but total bio-diversity.

len

bazman

I’m planning a mass planting at the end of winter, I’m hoping to crack 200 massive native trees plus supporting trees. I’m planting council land as well as mine.

Sonya, I remember Janet Millington saying the chemical produced came from Strawberries and a type of tea tree, I did a quick google but couldn’t find it sorry.

Re: turning off the taps, when ever I see shots of farmed fruit and nut trees, they never seem to bother with mulch, I could be wrong, but if they could afford to do it they should start mulching on a mass scale.

Lee

I know this may be a bit off track. But i was talking to my father in law and he said that the middle east particularly around Israel and Lebannon had the largest forests in Eurpoean region. (Ancient times). If this is true, you can see what it has done to a particular region.

I do like Tim Flannery, he has been saying for along time the issue that will face us.

About time someone of importance got Aussie of the year.

Geoff
    Keymaster

This thread was all close to something else I’d read earlier in the week:

http://www.alertnet.org/db/blogs/19064/2007/02/13-173435-1.htm

and

Niger Trees

both talking about how the Africans are pushing the desert back, with trees :clap:

Lyn Bagnall

bazman wrote:

Re: turning off the taps, when ever I see shots of farmed fruit and nut trees, they never seem to bother with mulch, I could be wrong, but if they could afford to do it they should start mulching on a mass scale.

How true Bazman. :tup: Legumes, grains and grasses can be grown in the strips between rows, then slashed and used for mulch under the trees or vines. Organic farmers practice this. It results in healthier soil as well as water conservation.

Herbman

This is really interesting to read. I never realised that growing trees in coastal areas could create rainfall inland.

I have noticed just on our little block that since we’ve planted trees and plants the block isn’t as dry and seems to be cooler and retain what moisture falls onto it. And mulching makes a massive difference. And that’s just on 600m^2 so it makes sense to have trees and mulch in big dry areas to improve moisture through catching condensation, preventing evaporation, keeping the area cooler to stop it drying out.

200 trees Baz … that’s a lot! Wow :tup:

Anonymous
    Inactive

Maybe ALS should start a rumor about “Planting the Nullabor Track”

Image a couple thousand trees a year for say 20years along the Nullabor (coastal side)

Chookasmum

Drought and trees.

Geoff had a look at the thread, interesting, however the dam pictures used,which said was at Parkes, was also used in a blog on the site as a photo in Africa. The mud at the bottom of all empty dams dries out and cracks. most farmers try and clean out their dams in time of dryness. However I do thoroughly believe in the planting of trees and their “creation” of rain moisture. Happens here most ot the time but not much for the last few years. Hope it rains before the cold weather sets in, because no feed will grow if its too cold. don’t miss farming, love the simple life on our block.

Chookasmum

Muzzy

I have just planted 38 Old man she-oaks as a wind break, I still have around 15 to go, plus I will plant bottle brush, gravillia, and lots of other natives suited to the area, I have solved my water issue even though it isnt legal, I have put a pump on my septic tank and Im watering with that ( trees are booming). I use all the recipes from this site for cleaning, I plan on planting alot more as we get each area established, and thanks Lyn I was wondering what to plant under them and now I know. I hope to plant out 2 of our three acres with natives. 😀 Our little town ran out of water before the onslaght of summer this year and they were trucking water in from a town 50kms away, they are in the process of building a pipe line from the same town to us. What I would like to know is, Does the government put restrictions o mining companies over water usage, are they trying to work out alternatives for the water used by these companies. Then theres the builders how much water do they use every day?

Sprite

I planted about 60 mixed trees a few weekends ago and really it looked quite pathetic after I had finished. A long, long way to go on our place.

On a heartening note I’ve recently constructed a sandstone access road across the property and somehow the process of disturbing the soil in constructing the road has caused about 50 odd eucalypts to self seed. Now the tallest is bigger than me, in about 4 months worth of growth. How on earth did it take off like that?

Tree planting is the answer IMHO and we can’t wait for the pollies to make policy for it. We have to go out and do it ourselves – or get action groups together to arrange mass plantings on both public and private land. It doesn’t cost much money, just time and labour.

As one wit said today on the ABC in regards to Howards pathetic speech yesterday:

Setting climate change targets and sustaining economic growth are not goals which cancel each other out: you can’t have jobs on a dead planet.

Hummer
    Keymaster

I planted about 60 mixed trees a few weekends ago and really it looked quite pathetic after I had finished. A long, long way to go on our place.

On a heartening note I’ve recently constructed a sandstone access road across the property and somehow the process of disturbing the soil in constructing the road has caused about 50 odd eucalypts to self seed. Now the tallest is bigger than me, in about 4 months worth of growth. How on earth did it take off like that?

Good one Sprite :tup:

meredithk

Hmmm Interesting discussion.

When I lived on the coast (18mnths ago) I still regularly witnessed bush being felled for housing estates on the coastal strip – when will this stop, there is a whole country to live in not just the 100kms around the coast.

Happy tree planting.

Meredith

peterh

Based on recent comments by the PM he still does not believe there is a problem. He is paying lip service only. Other members of the Govt believe the same. reading between the lines they don’t believe there is an issue to address. I cringe at the thought of what my children may inherit from our inaction and thoughtless politicians. After all it is our children’s future we are deciding. Sometimes it all seems just too much.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.