Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Dreading my next meal…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    zippyzippy

Hi everyone! πŸ™‚

Because of my long term lack of energy, hubby’s constant illnesses (man cold) every time he does night shifts.. both of us have family history of heard disease – and the rest..

So we decided to take charge and go on a vegetarian, low gi, sugar free, dairy free, wheat-ish free diet.

I really enjoyed eating the food for the first 3 days. It’s not all that different to how we usually eat (I have all the legumes, nuts and seeds in my cupboards) except for the lack of dairy, regular bread and meat.

I feel good! I could have skipped out of bed on day 3 but now, me being a food lover and NOT really craving anything sugary or fatty or from my usual diet.. Just can’t cope with the idea of eating another vegan meal!

I’m just not enjoying it. The recipes really are great and taste fine, except for the no-cook porridge this morning :sick:

My body feels satisfied, not hungry BUT at the same time I’m desperate for the feeling of my old diet. Ham sandwich.. (on rye!) mashed spuds..

I’ve reached the slump.

I’m sure there’s someone else out there with a similar experience.

Should I try a different diet? (it’s working, just hard to eat) Should I just keep going?

:S

SilentSilent

Oh yes, I had a similar experience when I tried to go healthy (by which I mean less unhealthy). I decided I would eat three meals a day, one of which would involve an apple or some other fruit. After a few [strike]days[/strike] hours of this diet, I discovered that apples are not food.

Food is something ingested for energyβ€”like putting fuel into a car. Some people like the high-octane premium unleaded stuff because it gives better performance and mileage. These people are not Apple People.

Apple People are people who don’t mind filling their stomach without ever being sated. I am used to my high-energy diet of one or two meals a day so a sudden decision to eat some healthy food has had some consequences. Foremost is the realisation that apples have a very low energy density which means I will have to eat lots of apples (or other such fruit and vegetables) to get the same energy content as one serve of crumbed and deep-fried cooking oil.

The second consequence is that fibre is essentially packaging. Eating fruits and veggies is like buying lots of fine china. The wrapping and styrofoam balls have to go in the garbage and create mounds of rubbish for only a few pieces of crockery. The garbage quickly overfills the bin so the garbage truck has to visit three times a day…all for the sake of a few pieces of china! I could buy plastic plates and not bother with the wasteful protective wrapping.

For those who haven’t followed the analogy, I am shitting plenty and often.

This is an inefficient use of my time which could be better spent playing X-Box or learning magic. Instead I am eating fruit and feeling full yet hungry. My body recognises that there are not as many joules in an apple so it tells me I need more apples. My stomach, trained to eat small amounts of grease and protein, cannot stretch to make the room for more apples. Thus I am forced to eat continuously, like a cow grazing in a field of apples, producing flatus and faeces and lifting my tail to piss.

You have my complete sympathy here. I can understand how it feels. Your body is complaining that it is not getting nutrients because t knows nothing else. I suggest sticking with it. That is what I did and it worked for me. Other ALSers will no doubt give you their advice and from the collective pool of sympathy (and everyone who has gone on any diet for any reason will sympathise) you can find a solution which works.

Personally, I think the vegan option was more than a little extreme and not as healthy as they would claim but if you have opted for this then you have obviously done so for your own reasons.

Anyway, stick with it. The worst that can happen is you get sick of it and quit. The best that can happen is that you get the benefits you had hoped for.

zippyzippy

Thanks Silent!

I think this diet is much much higher in nutrients than a regular diet with the myriad of grains, seeds, oils, veg, bla blaaaaah!

My bowels are ok πŸ™‚ The only difference from our usual diet is no dairy, no meat, VERY low GI and a change in bread.. I think I’ll try and tweek my existing fav recipes.

I’m proud of myself for going to Max Brennar’s last night with the girls, not only did I not eat the chocolate and fruit covered waffle (sipped my peppermint tea) but when I licked a bit of chocolate I was grossed out by it’s icky sweetness – gotta be a good sign right?!

BlueWrenBlueWren

Well, seriously, I do mean it , all the very best to both of you . :tup: :clap: ……..but thank God I’m an Apple Person with a small stomach capacity and a not overly sweet tooth !!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

GrethGreth

Apples are fine, baked with butterscotch or sultana stuffing and buried in cream. πŸ˜›

zippyzippy

:laugh:

(at the both of you!)

I love healthy food, but I think I’ve just found what my limits are.

I do still find myself unsatisfied with options for kids breakfast. No cereal is ever low GI or tasty enough.

School canteens think that a “healthy snack” is jelly with 2 mandarin segments in the entire cup.

There has to be a tasty and better way. I’ll think I’ll grab one of Dr Oz’s books. love that guy.

BlueWrenBlueWren

A diet that does not create an acidic environment in the body is a good way to go for general health and for some specific conditions,such as osteoporosis prevention and reversal.I aim for an approximate ratio of 80% non-acidic forming foods to 20% acidic forming.This doesn’t rule out acidic foods , such as citrus, as many do not create acidic conditions in the body when digested.Don’t eliminate all acid forming foods, we need that %20 for good health.

BlueWrenBlueWren

Greth post=335897 wrote: Apples are fine, baked with butterscotch or sultana stuffing and buried in cream. πŸ˜›

Now that Greth I would love!!!

lisannelisanne

I recommend you read the book called Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes – a very educational read on diet and how the body reacts to the foods we feed it

BronBron

Humans are fully intended to eat meat. No grains (including corn) or sugar, but lots of good, grass fed meat. Except in fish of course πŸ˜‰

So my suggestion is to ditch the vegetarian diet, eat lots of meat, lose the snacks and shortly you may find you love food again πŸ™‚ You’ll still feel fabulous.

Maybe check out Marks Daily Apple? Loads of information on there (forum, blog and articles)

zippyzippy

Thanks Bron but I find that hard to believe (with respect!).

Meat makes me feel heavy and tired.. like bread. I believe we’re to eat meat sometimes but mostly veg, fruit, grains and fish.

mauzimauzi

I think the biggest issue with diets is that there is not a “one size fits all”. We all have different genetics and different lifestyles. The only thing that I think is true for everyone, is to cut out processed foods, eat food grown in healthy and well balanced soil, grow and make as much of your own as you can and that also, to me, would include ethically grown food.

As for the rest, and combinations, different people do better on different foods. As an example, DH is a diabetic and has his sugar far more under control when he eats high protein, low carb foods. I was a vegetarian for years and find I actually do better on a 50-50 diet, so from personal experience, one size does not fit all. They only way to know is to try different combinations and see what works for you as an individual. Good luck.

lisannelisanne

Zippy when you eat the meat what else are you eating with them? If it’s anything that is high carb so pasta, rice, breads, potatoes, corn (for examples) then that is what is making you feel heavy.

Think back to what the cavemen ate – Whole foods!!

GrethGreth

Honestly if a ham sandwich would make you happy why not? Keep to your diet, but dont deprive yourself of all the things you enjoy. Look at loads of recipes for ideas that seem tasty and fit within your guidelines, might make you happier to try them.

crystalcrystal

Im of the opinion that if it grows, i can eat it! But, all things in moderation! Also consider portion sizes. Meat is fine, in the right dosage! The best way to work out how much you need is the ‘hand’ guide! If your fist is the size of your stomach then consider your meal size? I generally go by the palm of my hand for a serving of meat in a day. Obviously if you have a ham sandwhich for lunch you need to reduce the amount of meat you eat at dinner. As a guide the palm of your hand is how much meat you need. a cupped hand is a ‘serving’ of veg, salad, fruit, pasta etc. So instead of working out what you need in relation to what the gov says is a serving, try using your own body to work out what a serving is. Also, eat 3 medium meals and 2 snacks in a day to ration out your servings better. Also, lowGI is not always the best, as they are also low in energy, so you have to eat a lot more food generally…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.