Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Dorper Lambs, Triplets!!

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Backyard livestock Dorper Lambs, Triplets!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    VickieVickie

I posted a while ago asking people if they thought our dorper was pregnant. https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/backyard-livestock/315509-new-arrivals-lambs

Well it turns out ‘Liz’ who was chosen by my husband (mainly because she was the last ewe left and he had gone a long way to buy the sheep) was pregnant with triplets :cheer: They were born on tues night.

All lambs were born easily. But the last one, a runt, i had to help remove the sack, clear it’s mouth and give it a good rub. So the little runt is very weak and has trouble getting to the milk. I am considering taking it and feeding it, we have tried putting it close to mum and it did feed for less than a min earlier today, but then lay down again. Im trying to find some good info on google, and i know it’s best with it’s mum if we can work it that way. If anyone has any advice for me that would be great 🙂

BlueWrenBlueWren

Hope you can get some advice Vickie.They must be super cute! Pics please?

roundthebendroundthebend

If you can pen her with the runt and the other 2 near by but not in the pen with her and let the runt have a good feed of mum’s colostrom it will have a better chance of surviving. You can then suppliment feed it with the bottle but still let it stay with mum and the siblings as they are animals with a strong herd instinct.

VickieVickie

I left the little runt with it’s mum last night after bottle feeding it. We can’t really get close enough to mum to help the little one feed ,and she stomps at us. We firstly tried taking the strongest lamb away.. so runt had a chance to get in.. but it didn’t work. We gave her a bottle yesterday afternoon, and she picked right up. Considering the mum still very much wanted her lamb.. we left them all together last night. The runt has had 2 small bottle feeds again today.. but is too weak to stand,so i have decided to bring her in.. because she was shivering also and mum was not rejecting her but sort of leaving her behind, bit hard to describe. Kind of wishing i had kept her in last night.. when she had improved. :dry:

Attached files

VickieVickie

lambs!

Attached files

roundthebendroundthebend

Ah, well, looks like you will have a “pet” lamb :-), hope it all goes well with the little one Vickie, the first three days are criticle, if she was out in the mob she wouldn’t have even stood a chance. As long as she keeps feeding from the bottle she at least will have that chance.

We bought dorpers earlier this year, 30 ewes and a ram and this will be there first lambing so I have been checking them daily, so far mainly single lambs but have 4 sets of twins. Always thought triplets would be hard for the ewes as they only have 2 teets!

VickieVickie

The little runt went down hill today,very quickly. Poor thing. So now we have 2.

BlueWrenBlueWren

So sorry Vickie. 🙁 Alwasy so sad to lose an animal, but at least you know you tried your best.

diannedianne
    Participant

:hug: :hug:

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.