Aussies Living Simply

Doomsday Preppers

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Robyne

I love how he has made his land work so well for him and his family,

the only thing that I think is not that good is the TV show advertised his address

so everyone can help themsleves to their food

Dennis

So true, Its not wise to advertise like has been done with his home. Has anyone tried the off off grid idea, Seems like it would be a challange and may take a bit of adjusting.

froot_loopz

I love the doomdays preppers

Robyne

I had my shift at the breakfast club at our local primary schhol this morning and the other lady that helps out

was telling me about a web site her Lawyer daughter told her to read. Agenda 21

you can see it on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3mz5660OQu

and for australians

http://www.actforaustralia.com

good watching

calliecat
    Participant

video doesn’t exist Robyne

Snags

They seem a litle extremist and very islamaphobic another tea partyesque NWO fearing tin hat brigade.

Probably funded by some right wing global corporation.

chester

I have been watching the shows religiously, but don’t agree with the gun and ammo hoarding. Defense is good to have but there is no need to start a small war. As for Mr Wayne who got arrested shortly after the show cause he was making small expolsive devices. What a idiot, advertising it on TV dah.., I wpould have made them and shout my mouth about it. Some have enough guns and semi auto matics and ammo for the whole army. I love the steel container idea as underground bunkers, and yep in our bush fire prone country that is not a bad idea.

You need to take away what is useful for your family from these shows, some do have great ideas but a few are just a little over the top. People do believe we are a little crazy for getting prepared and taking to the hills. (I am doing just that too, just not as fast as I would have liked) I would like to see more people developing skills to live simply and yes most of us have been doing just that, we need to step it up now.

Snags

Guns would probably be necessary for the US because everyone else has a few and there are far fewer safety nets and there will be more desperate people.

Its kind of nice to think that we shouldn’t need them to protect ourselves here.

trandto

Ever since we changed to NBN Sat for broadband a couple months ago we have been unable to get onto ALS, I randomly tried tonight and bingo, we can get on !

Robyne post=350152 wrote: Hubby being X CFS is strict on this as he saw so many people without paper work and it takes time to get it all back

Scan and put it in the cloud, it’s what I’ve done (Google Docs and Dropbox for example) . Easy enough with a digital camera. If things are that bad that there is no Internet anywhere, bits of paper aren’t going to matter much anyway.

Dennis post=350153 wrote: I think you will find its against the law in a lot US states to help those in need unless you have the right licence and training, people control. Been a few cases of late of older women being charged for giving food to homeless. Sick.

It’s the same in Australia. We are (were) in the VRA in NSW and were advised not to rescue anyone unless we were 100% certain they could be rescued, or we and the organisation face repercussions from relatives and will be sued. I owned a business for a number of years, we tried to give excess food to the Salvos they said they couldn’t take it, for fear of litigation from the people they helped and from Council Health Officers. I don’t blame Government, I blame the voters who put them there.

Snags post=353538 wrote: Guns would probably be necessary for the US because everyone else has a few and there are far fewer safety nets and there will be more desperate people.

Snags post=353538 wrote: Its kind of nice to think that we shouldn’t need them to protect ourselves here.

I think it incredibly naive if you think the same thing wouldn’t happen here. The US has vast safety nets they have entire Government Departments devoted to helping out in times of emergency eg FEMA that we don’t luckily have. Let alone their defence force/reserves, eg USNS Mercy is one of the largest naval vessels on the Planet and is the American disaster hospital ship. The Americans aren’t another species, they act much the same way we do. If things are totally gone, so are the “safety nets”. If someone else is helping you, you probably wern’t prepared. That aside, I have just “invested” in getting a gun license and several guns to allow us to live off the land a little more if things go really bad. eg hunting kangaroos and rabbits for example. Of course I would like to stockplile a some ammunition as well, (in case the really bad goes on for years) but it appears people in Aus. want to stop me from doing that.. sigh

I guess that’s the thing though isn’t it ? “being prepared for the eventually”.

The best test is to test your preparedness, switch off all the power (that you can’t generate yourself), all the water you can’t collect yourself, and don;t use your toilet if it;s connected to the sewage system, don’t go to the shops, don’t use the car and see how long you can go for. City dwellers, probably 2 days, rural folk a bit longer but most are grid connected.

We moved as part of our preparedness. A couple threads on the tech. forum Whirlpool had me in awe with people complaining they had no bread at the bakery because their city was cut off by floods (bakers could not get flour) etc

If the Climate Science guys are right, the decades hence are going to be torrid indeed. Fortunately for me the worst if it will be after I am dead

Snags

trandto post=353674 wrote:

Guns would probably be necessary for the US because everyone else has a few and there are far fewer safety nets and there will be more desperate people.

Snags post=353538 wrote: Its kind of nice to think that we shouldn’t need them to protect ourselves here.

I think it incredibly naive if you think the same thing wouldn’t happen here. The US has vast safety nets they have entire Government Departments devoted to helping out in times of emergency eg FEMA that we don’t luckily have. Let alone their defence force/reserves, eg USNS Mercy is one of the largest naval vessels on the Planet and is the American disaster hospital ship. The Americans aren’t another species, they act much the same way we do. If things are totally gone, so are the “safety nets”. If someone else is helping you, you probably wern’t prepared.

The transition to disaster is different to the post disaster.

Compare the results of Cyclone Katrina response to Qld Flood results

No one got shot raped and murdered and left to starve in an empty football field while wallowing in their own faeces in Qld.

Did you see 4 corners on poverty in the US ?

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/stories/2013/02/06/3684714.htm

Middle class homeless people sleeping in Motels if they get a job or in their car or street….No dole,no Medicare

The US are a different species who dont act the same as we do.

Sure in the worst case scenario safety nets dry up but so does the value of paper money.

Food,luxuries and skills become the currency.

That aside, I have just “invested” in getting a gun license and several guns to allow us to live off the land a little more if things go really bad. eg hunting kangaroos and rabbits for example. Of course I would like to stockplile a some ammunition as well, (in case the really bad goes on for years) but it appears people in Aus. want to stop me from doing that.. sigh

I guess that’s the thing though isn’t it ? “being prepared for the eventually”.

Worst case scenarios you may need a gun if you live in a community that is divided.

Investing in community now is the key.

When all your got is food to steal its either share it and sleep at night or protect it and sleep with a gun under your bed.

The best test is to test your preparedness, switch off all the power (that you can’t generate yourself), all the water you can’t collect yourself, and don;t use your toilet if it;s connected to the sewage system, don’t go to the shops, don’t use the car and see how long you can go for. City dwellers, probably 2 days, rural folk a bit longer but most are grid connected.

We moved as part of our preparedness. A couple threads on the tech. forum Whirlpool had me in awe with people complaining they had no bread at the bakery because their city was cut off by floods (bakers could not get flour) etc

If the Climate Science guys are right, the decades hence are going to be torrid indeed. Fortunately for me the worst if it will be after I am dead

I also moved to the country for preparedness a very isolated part as far away from people who need to be plugged in to consumer society as possible.

They will turn nasty the fastest and have the least skills to survive.

It will be interesting to see a worst case scenario.

When we see even Lagos has some power supply

They gather in groups to watch the soccer fire up the generator, they just dont have reliable refrigeration.

Did you see welcome to Lagos

Its quite an eye opener,man is a very cunning and resourceful animal.

froot_loopz

wow that youtube video is an eye opener

Bobbee

Yes indeed, what an eye opener!

kind_blogger

Whilst I think many of the American Preppers you see are partial to conspiracy theories and display great paranoia, they certainly teach us a thing or two. I watched a couple of episodes of one of those shows shortly before Hurricane Sandy hit New York. The number of people unprepared for a few days without services was astonishing.

Perhaps we don’t need to load ourselves with enough guns and ammo to start a small army, but a well-planned stockpile can only be a good thing.

Robyne

Son 1 was telling me about a show he had sent to him from the UK about our food. Jamie Oliver talks in it.

I haven’t seen it yet so will let you know if it is worth watching when I get the time to do so.

Have jsut finished reading a book called Keep Out by Nick Redfern

it is a lot about the US but it also has a lot about the world as you read it you think not probable but then

it comes up again in a different area of the book and maybe it could be true.

About Aliens, oil deposits in the world in countries you wouldn’t think of.

about birds, dolphins,crabs all dying as they are in the wrong place, the book said a company in the US has a

machine that can change the sound waves in the earth and it confuses the animals so they beach them sleves.

a web site to look at

http://www.ahrcanum.wordpress.com

its about the Haitian earthquake

Snags

I dont doubt the existence of sonic weapons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_weapon

You cant really prep for them either

Same with drones

The people with power and wealth will use everything they can to maintain power and wealth.

When the problem is over population, resource depletion and global warming

They will be busy with a lot more targets than you

If TSHTF all you can do is the basic survival prep and hope for the best.

They say when you are running from a bear you only need to be a little bit faster than the slowest guy.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.