Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

Donating livestock suggestions

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up Donating livestock suggestions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MuklukMukluk
    Participant

You have probably all seen those things where instead of buying someone a gift that they don’t want, you give money to a charity organisation and they buy livestock to give to people in developing nations. Places such as Oxfam and Worldvision and a heap of others do it. If done properly they can make a huge difference to people. Clearly, some are better than others.

Can anyone recommend a really good one? I would prefer somewhere that has projects with guinea pigs as they are the perfect micro livestock. Guinea Pigs are rather popular in parts of South America, Africa and starting to increase acceptance in small parts of Asia.

I have found some places in Peru that donate guinea pigs, but I fear they may not be legitimate as I have never heard of their organisations before.

SnagsSnags

Its a tough one really ,dont know whether us as middle class 1st world white people really know what a 3rd world person really needs…..There are so many scams set up and even legitimate charities that just distort local economies,,,,,Im sure sometimes the action is a positive too……Dont know whether the better solution might be donating towards charities that provide micro loans,gmo free seeds and permaculture education.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

As usual you make some very good points there Snags.

I have seen some of those charities make a real difference in people’s lives. I have also heard the horror stories and seen issues such as because of these charities people have fewer food choices available to them, increased social isolation etc…but that is a rant for another time.

Do you know of any good charities that do the micro loans? I am sure that some are better than others.

SnagsSnags

I just googled some not so convincing stories re micro loans….Im confused

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

I have heard and seen some documentaries on “cows for Cambodia” it seems to be genuine. Even offers people who donate to come alone to the village where the aid is going.

MuklukMukluk
    Participant

Thank you, I will look into them!

LioraLiora
    Participant

We donate through TEARfund. We are fortunate to have a friend who sees many different charities at work around the world.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.