Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

d'oh! goats milk mess…

Home Forums HOMEMADE Soaps and soapmaking d'oh! goats milk mess…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    KalexKalex

Hi all,

I just made my second soap tonight, possibly a bit ambitious – being goat’s milk soap.

It was quite different to making the water soap (olive oil and coconut oil).

I froze the goats milk as some had advised on other posts, but it was more of an iceberg than a slushie…

So when I added the heated oils and beeswax, they kind of congealed on top…

Anyway, I persevered and whizzed for about 15 minutes and it got quite frothy and thick, but it didn’t reach trace the same way as the water based soap… in fact I’m not sure if it did reach trace… but my stick blender was getting really hot, I thought it was going to die!

So I poured it into the mould… it actually looked slightly curdled… and I went back a little later and it looked like it was separating…

Anyway, I’ll leave it 24 hours and see how it looks….

Can anyone tell me if Milk behaves differently during the process than water?

thanks in advance

Kate

KalexKalex

okay, 48 hour update… it’s an absolute mess!

How can I describe it… it’s separated into curds and “whey”… but the “whey” looks like watery blood! :rip: Even though the curds are the colour they should be – creamy… very strange… I don’t know where the red has even come from… is it a chemical reaction of some sort? any clues? anyone?

I don’t have time to dispose of it at the moment… so I will leave it until after the weekend and see if there is any change… I really doubt it.:(

I think i need to get a book from the library before I attempt any more of my own inventing :shy:

toodles.

GiannaGianna

Sorry Kate. I only just saw this. The best thing I can do is give you a link to a photo tutorial I put up once and you can see the process for yourself. This was a recipe for tallow/olive oil goat milk soap with honey and oatmeal.

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/viewthread.php?forum_id=8&thread_id=13457&pid=178590#post_178590

KalexKalex

Thanks Gianna! That’s a great tutorial – much appreciated!

I think I can see where I went wrong! I used much higher proportion of milk to oils… even though that’s what the soap calculator told me to do… i guess it’s not a replacement for a recipe 🙂

I read somewhere that the animal fat is what makes a soap harsh to sensitive skin, and oil soaps are much gentler… would you agree?

Kate

GiannaGianna

I read somewhere that the animal fat is what makes a soap harsh to sensitive skin, and oil soaps are much gentler… would you agree?

No, I haven’t found this to be true Kate. I love lard soaps. Very mild and gentle on skin.

Feel free to run any potential recipes past me and I’ll plug the figures into my soap calculator if you like.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.