Aussies Living Simply

DOC 1976 macrame- Yay the 70's

Home Forums OVER THE BACK FENCE General chat and catching up DOC 1976 macrame- Yay the 70's

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • Author
    jennifer gjennifer g

I was looking through a great Woman’s day craft book from 1976 which i bought because it is from my birth year. There are a few macrame patterns in it and thought of you Doc sitting knotting away….thought you may like to see a pattern from back then…I love this book, its full of funky sewing, knitting, crochet, toy making, jewelry making, tatting, smocking, patchwork, basketwork, leatherwork, hatmaking…if anyone wants to have a squizz at any of these 1970’s pics and patterns let me know!

DocDoc

Hi Jen :wave:

You don’t have a pattern for macrame flairs do you?

In another thread here(sounds like a good pun) Scarecrow suggested that my old ones shrunk over time so I may have to make another lot up :rol:

Regards, Doc 😉

PollyPolly

A friend and I used to have a little craft shop in the seventies and the biggest sellers were macrame materials. We sold masses of jute and ghastly acrylic yarn that was made into “millions”of plant hangers mostly. We used to hold classes and they filled as soon as we advertised them. I can’t remember how to do any of it now. :confused:

Macrame flairs? Groovy man. 😀

Why don’t I find my typing mistakes until after I posted? :noapprove:

DocDoc

Hi Polly

Of course I was only a young kid then, you understand 😀

Regards, Doc the hippy

PollyPolly

Oh, I understand Doc. 😉

jennifer gjennifer g

I dont think so DOC, this book only has the skirt pictured above, a shawl, beaded necklace, and braid patterns sorry! But check out these 70’s shirts…..there’s a pattern for these to sew….i can see you wearing one of these if you could get the material in that pattern:lol: in fact i remember my Dad wearing a purple and very similar looking shirt with a big pointy collar when i was a little kid….Gosh I love the 70’s!

redhen2redhen2

fantastic. what family didn’t have one of those appalling macrame owls hanging in the kitchen? god i wanted to do macrame. and i wanted to weave. and smock. sadly, i was just a wee thing and by the time i was old enough to hold a strand of string, it was all over. 🙁

i hope the 70s come back. it was just one long cocktail party. and i want the men in my family to have matching shirts like those. :tup:

jennifer gjennifer g

There is a cool shop in Mooloolaba that sells fashion and other items from the 70’s…i must find the name and see if they have a web site. they have the grooviest dresses, boots, shirts etc i have seen…it’s like a Austin Powers movie…….Yeah Baby!

scarecrowscarecrow

Argh! Jen Don’t encourage him…. :confused:

Those shirts are groovy!!!! :metal:

We got married in 1978 and you would have loved the outfits. :kiss:

Wide velour collar on the brown suit (sorry not purple…but he did own a maroon suit as well!) with flaired matching bottoms.

Frilly shirt and big velour bow tie 😮

As well as long black hair down to his shoulders… :clap:

DocDoc

flaired matching bottoms

We sure did have flaired matching bottoms…

…and so did my trousers 😀

Regards, Doctor Lurv

jennifer gjennifer g

Oooohh i can picture it so clearly…would love to see a photo though i must say!

DocDoc

Nooooooo! 😮

jennifer gjennifer g

you have the funniest sense of humour Doc …….such a great asset. nothing better than a hearty belly laugh!

jennifer gjennifer g

ohhh come on Doc share share……..

DocDoc

Well Jen :wave:

You asked for it!

But be warned

Me ‘n’ the missus 1978 :kiss:

Regards, Doc 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 89 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.