Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    GumnutGumnut

Thanks Vickie, I’m pretty amazed myself :woohoo: I had to cut the outside row of celery off because it was starting to go nasty but other than that I’ve just been changing the water. Think I will plant the leek into the garden tomorrow and see how it goes.

lmd80lmd80

Bugger I had a leek starting to grow but threw it in the compost! Will remember for next time!

VickieVickie

i had a half wombok that was sprouting roots so i popped it in a dish,….

BlueWrenBlueWren

I have tried the celery trick but mine have always rotted from the outside like that, so I suppose i should have planted them in the ground sooner.

BobbeeBobbee

I wonder how many different veg we can ‘grow-on’. :shrug: I’ve never given it any thought (except for growing in jars for the kiddies, many years ago). :huh:

Something like sweet potato, for example, if it ‘shoots’ in a container of water, then the shoots can be cut off and planted. :tup:

:hug:

BlueWrenBlueWren

Sweet pots just shoot anyway don’t they Bobbee? I always just stick the whole thing in but I think some folk cut them up first into the separate shoots? Or perhaps you can just plant the shoots , same aa tip slips?

lmd80lmd80

I have always done potatoes but not sweet. However I have a massive sweet potato vine at the moment growing an thinking of cutting off the wild bits and potting them to replant when I have room! Potatoes and pumpkins just pop up everywhere in my garden from the compost I guess.

Do others just raid the sweet potato or dig them all up at once? I have stolen one without disturbing the rest but haven’t gone back for more yet. I have half a dozen pumpkins almost ready too, do I just wait for the stalk to die? The plant is starting to die off on one. We picked a pumpkin but too early. I think my squash and zucchini are pretty much done, good timing cause I need the bed!

BobbeeBobbee

BlueWren my gardening slip that arrived with the sweet potato said to plant the sweet potato in loamy soil (I think) and cut off the shoots when they were 30 cms long and plant the shoots in the garden. Of course I just planted the sw pot straight into the garden bed and I have been ‘gunna’ cut off shoots and replant all summer, but I haven’t. :blush: :blush: :blush:

Porgey says to wait for the nearest tendril to the pumpkin to die off, and that means the pumpkin is ripe. My grandfather always said to wait for the first frost to hit and then the pumpkins would last well. We tend to pick some early to get to eat them over a longer period, they are always yum we find, and we pick the rest when the vines start to deteriorate or when we can’t bear the mess of the vines any longer. 😛

Porgey hasn’t been around for a while or I have missed him. Does anyone know what goes with him, hope nothing is wrong. :shrug: :hug:

Imd80, I am a very new sweet potato grower so have only last years experience to call on. I picked them all at once but there wasn’t a great harvest last year as I planted the sw pot rather late in the season. :S But someone will know. :tup:

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Sweet potato grows easily from the shoots. They strike very quickly. I have heard that if you take a long shoot and coil it in a hole before backfilling just leaving the tip out, you will get a bigger crop as there are more nodes buried.

I wouldn’t worry about them now though (here anyway) as they will just end up frosted. I’d wait until the frosts are over.

BobbeeBobbee

We had a few hours in the ‘now’ food forest today catching up with tidying up. :tup:

Our food forest started life as a native garden surrounding a winding path that I asked

Mr Bobbs to build. The garden bits started as continuous heaps of cut up prunings etc

from other parts of the yardand any removed plants,for example penstemons no longer wanted

in the garden were planted in the new garden area. It quite quickly became a mixed garden

not a native garden.

It is planted up with many natives though and has near to full size eucalypts and acacias growing

along side budleias and japanese lanterns and all sorts of other stuff.

Mr Bobbs spent a hard few hours chopping down 2 acacias that were past their prime to allow more

light and space for a half grown blood plum and a young olive tree. The larger logs of the trees

have been stacked under cover to be used later to fire up the cob oven and the leafy bits are of

course piled on top of other parts of the food forest.

After joining als I learned about food forests and started adding edible plants and from then on

the ‘native garden with paths’ became an official food forest.

This morning I chopped back a grevillia by about a metre and a half along one side,to give growing space next

season to the boysenberries and blackberries planted this season. Both these berries are very vigorous

growers and will need their space.

I also unwound the tropical passionfruit that was trying to strangle the lemon myrtle and redirected part of the passionfruit

so it will continue its growth by climbing a fallen acacia that was left for this or a similar purpose.

There’s always something to do in the garden thank goodness.

We had dinner tonight of baked potatoes, pumpkin, oca, garlic and steamed silver beet all from the veg patch.

It tasted great.

VickieVickie

Hi, so i had the wombok going crazy wellin the dish, but now the leaves are turning brown at the end.. it’s not put out a huge amount of roots.. so im worried if i clean up the base i might cut new roots of :shrug:

The celery is booming too.. but also not many roots.. it actually had enough of a new stalk on if after less than a week that i used in soup.

Anyone got any ideas about how many roots should be there before i plant etc etc 🙂 ?

BobbeeBobbee

Maybe just trial and error Vickie, unless someone has tried it and can share. :shrug:

I’ve been transplanting leeks today, I had planted too thickly in case some didn’t come up

so I now have another row and a half. :tup: We are cutting mature leeks from another

planting and I hope we get more growing from the bit left in the ground. Apparently they

will re-shoot come spring.

Talking about spring, even Mother Nature is confused, we have just finished picking guavas and

the tree has a fully out bloom on it, just one. One of our blackberry vines has a flower on it

and my strawberries are still flowering and setting fruit from last season. Amazing!

BobbeeBobbee

Hi folks. :wave:

Wow it’s a great time of the year I reckon. We are picking boysenberries every day and strawberries not quite so often, the guavas are flowering madly and we spend some time most days chasing off the birds from eating the flowers, little buggers!

We are picking the first of the cucumbers and have been picking round green zucchini for a couple of weeks also the yellow long zucchini, with the green long ones just growing into size now.

The fig tree is loaded and ripening, the locout is full of ripe fruit and all the herbs are in great shape and great taste. Yumm!

Somethingies, birds we think, are nicking the raspberries as soon as they are ripe so they are being covered with onion bags. We don’t mind sharing a bit but it’s not on when we lose the lot.

I am growing purple tomatillos for the first time, that is exciting for me, I love trying new things. Also have a tamarillo for the first time.

And the grapes are looking good this year, last year was not good for us with grapes. We have them growing over a pergola like frame and they shade our eating area near the barbecue and cob oven.

Hope to hear from you gals and guys, so jump in with your tuppence worth if you feel the urge.

lostinthefoglostinthefog

Hi Bobbee! We are harvesting Broad Beans and Peas…kilos of the buggers, also the first of the new spuds…so nice after the ‘spud drought’ since August! We have Nicolas, Colibans(great chip spud!)Pink Fir Apples(easily one of the best ever spuds…far superior to Kipfler IMO) and a couple of other varieties that the name escapes me…

We’ve had to net our Raspberries and Blackcurrants, just starting to pick them..Garlic already harvested…hopefully a years supply…still waiting for the shallots. We have tons of salad stuff…lettuce, Rocket, herbs…Tomatoes still a long way off, as are Zucchini, Capsicums, Cucumbers. Have some brilliant Cabbages…made home made Sauerkraut, our Nectarine is loaded but still at least a month off harvest….certainly a time of plenty!

porgeyporgey

I like this thread, thanks for sparking it up again Bobbmeister.

A slowish start in the summer garden as things got on top of me recently. However the garlic, Onions, Leeks are all harvested and stored and some beautiful Ornamental garlic is beginning to flower and looks stunning.

I left a whole lot of autumn sown carrots go to seed and they are flowering beautifully attracting lots of bees and providing wonderful habitat for ladybugs and other insects.

The early sown sweet corn has rocketed along, almost 2 meters tall with cobs galore forming and the spectacular seed heads pollinating the tassles as I write. I was very tempted to pyrethrum spray the thousands of thrips that had taken up residence all over the corn but a magical explosion in ladybug numbers has almost wiped out the problem – you have got to marvel at nature.

The annual Echinacea bed gets bigger and bigger every year with the purple flowers looking stunning.

The cherries have come and gone with a bigger crop this year, the nectarines are full but not ready and the Anzac peach is chockas and about a fortnight away from being ready to feast on.

More to come, cheers porgey.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.