Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Ive been wanting to plant more things, but no work pay for 4 weeks, the moneys not been there, so I finally get a pay and Im stuck inside getting assignments done LOL

I shall garden next weekend.

The kids bought me a two tier shelving type greenhouse for mummys day, so I shall be getting some seeds growing in there first up I think

BobbeeBobbee

Hi BarbMc, :wave:

Welcome to als. We sure do have some great threads to spend an hour or three reading.

It’s good that you are enjoying your time on the site and also getting into veg gardening.

Growing our own veg is so rewarding.

I have a very public hate/hate relationship with snails. I have been upfront with them re the fact they are free to chomp there way through all the weeds they like without any recriminations from me.

But the damn things keep on eating the best seedlings I grow, in fact, any seedlings I grow, therefore I must destroy them, the snails that is. :blush:

There are a number of veg that can be grown all year round BarbMc so I would advise to keep your eyes peeled for those. And the lovely stuff that is perennial or self seeding. I really love those.

🙂

BobbeeBobbee

Well the fig season has come to an abrupt close for us, creatures have denuded the fig tree of fruit and now the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. But the figs were delicious as usual. Yummo!

Also the guava tree is now dropping the last of its fruit, just smallish ones but they are still edible. We had lots of very large guavas this year, they smell and taste so sweet.

In the last week I have harvested carrots, leeks, onion greens, Chinese greens, red chard, silver beet, spinach, tomatillos, the very first white choko for the season, Tahitian limes, lemonades and capsicums.

We have eaten stir fried veg as a side dish to other protein stuff most of the week. I add flavor additives to ring the changes. So far this year Mr. Bobbs and I particularly enjoy rice wine vinegar, hoisin (sp) sauce, soy sauce and home made sauces and chutneys mixed in a variety of ways.

One large pot of chicken soup and one large pot of veg soup and I am ready to hit the garden again to top up the veg supply. It is so good to be able to take a container of soup from the freezer, add some bread and ‘hey presto’ instant meal.

🙂

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Hiya BarbMc, what part of this gorgeous country are you from?

Hiya Bobbee, sounds like you have been busy, the only thing Im picking at the moment is spinach (giving it away) silverbeet for the animals and salad greens for me

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

How can I get rid of or at least control oxalis ? It is taking over my veggie garden

Anonymous
    Inactive

Doesn’t look like there is a good solution to it other than digging it up , or getting chooks on to it..
    http://www.au.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ozgard/msg0721021131949.html?26

ballamaraballamara
    Keymaster

It might have to be chooks as the top soil isn’t very deep 

IdunaIduna

I’m picking handfuls of cabbage moth catters off my broccoli and brussle sprout plants every couple of days, my leeks, onions and spring onions seems to be a flop this year so are the carrots. Turned in the green manure crop a few weeks ago that I had in the back yard. I want to add sulpher and return the soil next weekend. One of my pawpaw plants has flowers but it’s only had females open. I have a few things I would like to do but will have to put off as I accadently gave myself 2nd degree burns to my whole chin last week. So I can’t go outside in the sun or even have sun come in through the window till it finishes healing.

Oh does anyone have any recommendations for indoor plants that are cat safe, hanging or floor pot?

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

OUCH Iduna

BobbeeBobbee

Iduna that sounds like a nasty burn, hope it is healing well by now.   

Ballamara Mr Bobbs painstakingly spends hours trying to dig up and then pick up all the little oxalis root thingies in his part of the garden.   There seem to be just as many every year to my eye, but Mr Bobbs just keeps on keeping on.

I just rip the green leafy tops off the top of the ground every time I am working near the oxalis and of course they just keep re-growing.    If anyone knows of an organic way of getting rid of them I hope they share their knowledge with all of us.

I am so pleased this year to be picking broccoli tips from the previous seasons bushes and new broccoli heads from the winter season.    We have never had two seasons of broccoli going at the same time.   It’s great!

I have quickly become a ‘lemonade’ drinker and eater.    So much gentler than lemons and no where near so acidic therefore much less need for sweetener in lemon drinks. 

🙂

IdunaIduna

I’m doing better now, it hurt the most while the infection was active, I just have a pink chin now.

My onions are looking better than I thought they did, carrots are still a flop for the most part but a buntch more just came up in the last week that I wasn’t expecting so it might pan out.

Broccoili is doing well, been harvesting and eating that, kale is slow but I’m hoping it will pick up along with my cabbages. The brussle sporuts are finaly picking up with less catterpiller holes. My peas that were doing so well may need to be riped out, I think they have black spot. Beetroot and sugar beet seem to be doing well though. The paw paw still only has female flowers, I’m trying to work out if there is a male near by as the old flower bud hasn’t droped off, but I don’t think it’s swelling. It could be but it’s really slow if it is.
    I didn’t get around to sorting out the backyard before the rain started, it’s just too wet now. I’m also up to my eyeballs in onion weed.

BobbeeBobbee

Glad you are improving Iduna, burns are painful things.

We gave up on growing ordinary onions last yearish.   We can grow them with no problems but can’t ‘keep’ them for use during the year.    We never had problems years ago, but now the onions quickly go off.    So now we grow spring onions but leave them in the ground and cut off what we want from the plant which continues to grow.

Also have some green stem Welsh onions from some years back.    Not many left though so they may need replenishing  when I check the seed stash.  I tried growing red stemmed Welsh onions too, but had no luck with those.   Should give them another go I suppose.

:(|)

BobbeeBobbee

Seems to be a good year for limes, ours are as big as lemons this year, and so tasty, yum!

Our ‘bee man’ called in a few weeks ago to check the bee hive in the food forest.   He collected our first honey harvest and later on returned with our very first jars of honey,  yippee   

I don’t think I am biased when I say that it is the very best tasting honey I have ever tried………………….well, perhaps a wee bit biased.

:bz

BobbeeBobbee

Oh wow!!!!

First time I have been able to post on this thread for sometime………grouch..grumble…grumble…..
    We are keeping ourselves in oranges, mandarins and limes at this time of year, they taste so good.   We have lemons all year with the meyer and the ordinary lemon (can’t remember the name because of a mature interlude which is the posh version of a seniors moment    :))   )   and now lemonades which Mr Bobbs and I both really enjoy.    We are so glad we bothered to buy yet another citrus tree, it is a great success.

There is a lot of back breaking work happening in our garden at this busy time of year and still a lot more to do.    It doesn’t seem to matter how well we mulch each year the weeds still get a good growth on and need to be removed, by hand of  course.

My dream is that eventually, if we live that long, the regular mulching will create a weed free garden, which, combined with lots of perrennial veg, herbs and stuff, will mean much less back pain for both Mr Bobbs and myself.

We believe we have marshmallow growing in our garden, does anyone actually use this plant for anything please?   I must google it of course and find out more about marshmallow but it is always nice to hear anecdotes from others.

:(|) :(|)

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Hi Bobbee, good to see you! 🙂

Apparently mallow is good for sore throats. I only read this the other day and took note as I have heaps of it around the chook pen. You make a tea from a few leaves, add a little honey and away you go.

http://www.edibleweeds.com.au/uncategorized/mallow-tea-for-those-winter-sore-throats/

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.