Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Bobbee post=360879 wrote: Does any one know if the poison kills snails instantly or more slowly?

I always tell the snails I would happily share the garden with them if they ate only the weeds…….stupid things.

🙂

Bobs.. I kinda think the snails are similar to the government :jawdrop:

They take a bite out of every seedling/plant, plus they’re slimy suckers, completely trashing some.

If only they concentrated on one plant/seedling hey ?!

Gumboots are way quicker than any poison.. IMHO 🙂

BobbeeBobbee

Re the gumbies being quicker than poison, thanks love.

🙂

BobbeeBobbee

I reckon it’s such fun mummyjas, when plant or book orders arrive. Better even than Christmas, sometimes.

Hope you enjoy sorting and planting. :tup:

We are still picking and pickling cucumbers, they have been bearing heavily all this season. I forget the name but they are a cross between Market More and a White Russian I think.

Mr Bobbs will be pulling out the last of the tomato plants on the next fine day, but the tomatillos are still fattening up and of course the husks are no where near dry yet, so that is something to look forward too.

🙂

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

should always remember we are never alone in the garden. (must take my gloves down the back with me in future)

a mummy and bubbies

BobbeeBobbee

Wow!!

Love the pic froot_loopz. That is a seriously beautiful/ugly creature.

I prefer gardening with bare hands but gloves really are a necessity. Safety first always.

🙂

porgeyporgey

Bobbee post=360929 wrote:

Mr Bobbs will be pulling out the last of the tomato plants on the next fine day, but the tomatillos are still fattening up and of course the husks are no where near dry yet, so that is something to look forward too.

🙂

Hi Bobbs, often, but not always, if you hang up pulled tomato plants from there base, say from a ceiling rafter or post, the existing unripe fruit will ripen slowly and you can keep picking them. If you have a warmish glass house or sheltered spot more the better. Once all ripened and picked the empty bush is then great carbon material for the compost. Worth a try me thinks.

(PS, I have tried this and the tomatoes ripened nicely but Queenie went right off when she returned home early to find three expectant tomato bushes hanging above her bath, so there can be problems!! However, I have learnt to my glorious surprise that her shrieking has benefits as it alerts the neighbors thats shes in residence and to put the billy on as I will be dropping in for a couple of weeks 🙂 By the way she really is a nice sheila but we have different opinions on tidiness and where the garden ends and the house starts).

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

found a baby galah this morning my side of the fence. It had been out there for a while, it was cold,had a bit of fight in it still, looks like it first flight wasnt a success. RIP little galah.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

IVe still got tomatoes ripening down the back, cherry and romas. Ive considered pulling them out but they are still the plants are still nice and green

SnagsSnags

If it gets tooo cold and there are still green tomatoes pull the plant out and hand git from a tree the tomatoes keep ripening

IdunaIduna

The frost has started early this year, I wonder what it will mean, I also have tomato seedlings coming up left right and center. I transplanted my broccoli seedlings a week or so ago but they all died, so I am trying again. I hope they do better this time.

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I haven’t got a lot going on in the garden just trying to get caught up with weeding and yes I really should have my gloves on but I like the feel of the dirt on my hands I have to watch out for scorpions and trap door spiders.

The weather is starting to cool down now coldest we’ve had this month is 4° we usually get our first frost Anzac Day so not long now.

Everything is so confused I have 2 apples in full bloom and the plums have a couple of dozen flowers each but the citrus are all covered in flower and bees.

IdunaIduna

I planted out 3 rows of beetroot and two of sugar beets over a month ago, all up I think I have 5 plants. I’m very disappointed. My carrots have done a little better but not much and I’m also not having much luck with leeks, spring onions and white onions. All in all much of it is a fail, I didn’t even get any lettuce and I planted two different packets. My green kale… well about 12 of them came up but not near the few dozen I planted. I’m really not seeing any point, last season was just as bad.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

very spoilt tonight, freshly picked, lettuces (3 types) parsley, tomato, and capsicum for my salad to go with my chooken schnitzel for tea. I LOVE my garden.

On another note, I had a trailer load of horse poo delivered today in exchange for a couple of cartons of eggs 😀

lavmanlavman

:ohmy: Ouch, sorry to hear it, you’re lucky it’s only a lump and a stiff neck, could have been a lot worse, if that’s any comfort.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

hope your head is okay mummyjas

Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.