Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

• This topic has 714 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by SnagsSnags.
Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    BobbeeBobbee

I find it more satisfying growing plants from seeds too froot-loopz but I don’t always get the darn seeds planted earlier enough so seedlings save my butt. 🙂

Our nectarines are still nothing to brag about this year but they taste great, so much better than bought ones. AND the pepinos have a delightful flavor nothing at all like shop ones that seem to have no flavor at all. I do so enjoy home grown stuff.

Our peaches aren’t ready yet but we have been eating figs for ages now, they are soooooooooo good!

The boysenberries were great but finished now and the poor old blackberries are conspicuous by their absence 🙁

We have now had 3 years of almost no apricots, the half dozen we beat the birds too were delicious, but there weren’t many more than that on the tree. So sad!!!

🙂

pennypenny

I do love a bargain, was at Bunnings for a couple of things and noticed they had bundles of garden stakes out for a dollar. There were 6 in a bundle and normally priced at $13.80. I bought 55 bundles but at that price I have enough stakes for the forseeable future. Some have gone to the brother as he grows trees for me for the property, and some to a neighbor who has just started growing some veg. She is so proud of her results and says she is having so much fun. We are going to swap stuff and experiment a bit with what we can grow. I’m now fired up again to get things in order again.

:tup:

BelBel

Wow Penny – bundles of stakes for $1!!! I would have bought up big at that price too!

BelBel

It’s raining here!!! Gorgeous, beautiful, steady drenching rain. I couldn’t be happier 🙂 And I just went out and planted some herbs too! Such a relief after the scorching temps we’ve had here over the last month or so.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

rained heaps out here, walking to the train station this morning, got soaked on the way to work, there was like a river of water going over the line at 7.30. they eventually closed the line at 1, because of flooding of the station 😆 I was going to go for a wander but fell asleep instead.

I have a bath out the back with pour drainage, was going to deal with it before winter got here, now I have 12 capsicums, and one tomato, I could lose if I dont deal with it sooner :sigh: they are sitting in about 5cm of water above the soil.

The best thing about the rain is I didnt have to drag my butt out at 7 to water the vegie garden before going to work

was given another 5 wooden boxes yesterday for more garden beds

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

moved the capsicums and tomato, fingers crossed they survive, they were already starting to look, like they were drowning.

BobbeeBobbee

Lots of yummy figs at our house just now. This is the second crop and they are just so good. :tup:

Our tomatoes are a disappointment this season, we get enough to eat plus some to cook up for pasta sauce etc but not enough for sauce or chutney. Not good!

The carrots are still doing well and the capsicums are making a run at turning ripe and red before the weather collapses into coldness. The tomatillos, self sown, are producing well but none of the rarer purple ones popped up.

Next door neighbours have kept us in beetroot all summer and early autumn thank heavens. For some reason none were planted in our gardens but hope to rectify that asap.

The plums fruited well but fruit was small because they lacked water. Won’t let that happen again. Peaches have had to be picked half green to save them from the birds AND the dreaded brown rot. Lots of work needed there before we get another clean crop.

🙂

BobbeeBobbee

I’ve been the lucky recipient of a variety of fermented veggies; salsa, onions and kimchi. They are so tasty and so good for the gut. :clap:

I’m making a big effort in the healthy life style department and the above mentioned veg and daily getting off my butt and MOVING will hopefully give the needed results.

🙂

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

its good to see you bobbee

BobbeeBobbee

Hi fruit_loopz :wave:

🙂

BobbeeBobbee

We had a large and fully laden with fruit, branch broken from our peach tree during a storm in summer. It was still attached by a small sliver of wood and bark so we left it where it was until a week or two ago.

Mr Bobbs finally cut it down properly and we picked the fruit, stewed them with coconut sugar and now have a number of containers sitting neatly in the freezer for future use.

We weren’t sure if the fruit would ripen ok but it sure did. The biggest problem we had was beating the parrots and other flying thieves to the fruit.

🙂

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

not alot happening here, though I did pick some snails for the chookens, this awful, will I or wont I rain weather, has brought the snails out

SnagsSnags

Got the grape vines up to the trellis (about 6M high),just started the side shoots growing and tying back on one vine and the other vine still has about 3 metres to go.

In one day a giant grasshopper ate half a tomato plant and half of one of the vines.

Most of the other vine as well.

I get up on the ladder and there is the bugger and he had a mate a giant caterpillar eating the other side.

Im talking 2 bloody big things the size of my thumb ( a good 75 mm long and over a cm thick)

Both got thrown and smashed against the wall to become bird food.

Both ends still have a few live shoots

Its just taken over 4 years to grow them because this happens every year sometimes a few times a year.

I was hoping as they hot higher it would improve,maybe when they take off growing horizontally instead of vertically there will be more leaves to eat and less detriment to the plants.

BobbeeBobbee

Hiya Snags, :wave:

We grow grapes without much worry but the last 2 years and this year the birds eat the lot before they are anywhere near ripe. We have netted them in the past but that is a darn nuisance because of where the vines are situated.

Obviously netting is the only sensible solution and we will have to bite the bullet next season and put the net back on. What a nuisance!!

That creature damage to your vines sounds really savage, hope you get on top of it Snags.

🙂

BobbeeBobbee

fruit_loopz we are having lots and lots of rain and boy do we need it! But it sure will bring out the snails. I hope I can work up enough enthusiasm to get out there in gumbies and do the crunching job.

Always sounds blood thirsty and ghastly, crunching snails to death, I used to feel guilty but then thought about it a bit more – at least its a quick death by gumboot as against death by poison if we used pellets. Does any one know if the poison kills snails instantly or more slowly?

I always tell the snails I would happily share the garden with them if they ate only the weeds…….stupid things.

🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 586 through 600 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.