Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    BobbeeBobbee

Here’s a pic of the kennebecs. Three metre row. Hope it works ok, I’m still not sure what I’m doing. :shrug:

karyn26karyn26

Lot of hit and miss here too with my vegies.

I couldnt get ANY cuccumbers growing this year,either from seed or bought seedling.Due to hungry slimy critters chewing them down overnight.

I have had some success with my tomatoes,I am picking them now and will cook them up on the weekend.Next time I will space them apart a bit better than I did this year.

Zucchinis were also a dismal crop with only one plant surviving,though sufficient pickings from it.

The pumpkins are everywhere and cropping well.We went with smaller ones this year like butternut,jap,and a smaller one I dont know the name of.

I managed to get some golden nugget seeds yesterday and will plant these next season.

porgeyporgey

lmd80 post=339504 wrote: I got quite excited about zucchini and squash, both of which produced huge vegetables and then got covered in a white mould. I have tried a milk and water spray with no success and now just cut off the affected leaves and rely on new growth.

I had a mountain of Powdery Mildew on my Cucurbits this year, particularly C maxima, but a corresponding explosion in yellow spotted Ladybirds that feed on it and help keep it under control.

Late season PM outbreaks are not really a problem imho but early & mid season outbreaks can be controlled with a 1:9 milk:water spray and introducing/encouraging PM devouring insects.

The more bio-diverse and organic your garden is the more likely you will get a healthy balance of good and bad resulting in much less intervention and a healthy harvest. Whilst I try and get my garden looking great I have came to the conclusion that if beneficial predators get the baddies at some stage I can put up with a few chewed leaves and a bit of PM – its far easier and gives the good guys a healthy snack.

porgeyporgey

karyn26 post=339543 wrote: Lot of hit and miss here too with my vegies.

Zucchinis were also a dismal crop with only one plant surviving,though sufficient pickings from it.

The pumpkins are everywhere and cropping well.We went with smaller ones this year like butternut,jap,and a smaller one I dont know the name of.

Zucchini, like Squash & small pumpkins are Cucurbita pepo’ and come in an amazing array of diverse shapes, sizes, colours, tastes & textures as well as growing habits. Repeat cropping C.pepos like Z&S are softer skinned and in my patch seem to be more susceptible to disease. As a result last november, I planted a mix of C.pepos in the same bed and got some great Z&S which died off a lot earlier than the Wee Bee Little pumpkins which are single croppers and are ripening now thus ensuring a continual supply.

BobbeeBobbee

For the last 2 years we have had no peaches or nectarines. The trees bear well and after spraying with, oh dear, either copper or sulphur mix by Mr Bobbs the trees looked great. :tup:

There was a LOT of good looking fruit on both types of trees early on, the fruit was good size and all looked good for the harvest, and then KARBOOM !!!! That horrible, ghastly brown rot thingy on both fruits and the nectarines just shrivelled up and hung on the trees. :sick:

Picking up the dropped fruit and clearing the trees of the old fruit is a nasty, back breaking job but it will have to be done. :pinch:

It’s nearly enough to put you off growing fruit, but not quite, we are made of sterner stuff!!!!!! sob sob sob……..

Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for something to help what ails our trees please?

Previous years we have had glorious harvests of both nectarines and peaches. Our apricots this year had about 6 fruit and that was it. 🙁

Apples, plums, blackberries, boysenberries, strawberries were great. :clap:

Grapes have a problem and will be treated with copper spray after pruning and then at bud burst and probably fortnightly intervals until fruit set. :sick: I don’t like doing it but unless someone can come up with a better idea………………. :shrug:

It’s no point at all growing trees and vines for no productivity at all. :S

Any ideas, help offered gratefully received. :hug:

:hug:

BobbeeBobbee

I am thrilled to bits, my first white egg plant has flowered and is now growing 3 beautiful tiny glowing white egg plant fruits. There are 3 more flowers still to fruit. The wee plant is only about 2 feet tall. :hug: :hug:

I have 2 more of the plants in the glass house and they are 2 and half times larger than the outdoors one, and they now have flowers so I am hopeful of extending the veg season this year. :tup:

The tomatoes in the glass house are flowering and fruiting again and the capsicums and chillis are flowering too. I planted a perrenial basil in there this morning as a companion plant for the caps and tommies. :tup:

The new guinea bean in the same glass house seems to have forgiven me for cutting ginormous amounts off it and is now flowering again. It has some mildew so I removed the affected leaves, wiped the stems with metho (a while back) and today I have sprayed the whole plant with a milk and water mix. Hopefully that will tidy things up a bit. :shrug:

:shrug:

BobbeeBobbee

I’ve hand pollinated 2 female new guinea bean flowers in the glass house. So that’s hopeful. :tup:

The winter garden seeds I planted had a very heavy load of rain dropped on them and I expected them to be washed out or rotted, but Mr Bobbs reported that kohl rabi seeds are up. :tup: So that gives me some hope. :whistle:

There is still no sign of fruit on choko vine, and I’ve forgotten when and what to expect, it’s been so long since we grew chokos. :wave:

There’s young side pick lettuce and young asian greens going well, they self-seeded and don’t I just love that. :woohoo:

We are still getting a kilo or so of tomatoes every couple of days, but some of the plants look like dried out sticks. Amazing how they keep on keeping on. :clap: I am going to try to keep the small truss tommies going through the winter this year. It doesn’t hurt to try! 🙂

The jerusalem artichokes are just beginning to burst into flower, that has to be a good sign. Some of them must be 8 to 10 feet tall I reckon, of course some are much smaller than that too. :tup:

I have no idea what to expect from the oca, the chinese artichokes and the arrowroot plants, as this is the first time I have grown them. I must remove digit and google some info. :blush:

I have been promised some yakon thingies from my yoga teacher when she gets them from someone who promised her…… :laugh: :laugh: Trust is the name of the game. :hug:

GumnutGumnut

Hi everyone, have a couple of questions for you:

Potatoes – I have a crop of purple potatoes growing in the garden (they haven’t died back yet) and they are taking up a huge area. I have some winter veg I want to plant out so is it ok to dig them up whilst the leaves are still green? Will this affect how long they’ll keep for?

Quince – I have a quince tree loaded with fruit. Does anyone have any good quince recipes?

Tomatoes – I have a million green tomatoes. Any tried and true recipe suggestions for these?

Thanks in advance 🙂

BobbeeBobbee

Here’s a link to quinces: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2238/quince+paste

I’m off to have a look for the green toms.

O bugger! The site is playing up again! :sick:

There’s a green tom pickle recipe on here. And somewhere I believe LadyB has a recipe for a fruit mince. :shrug:

https://www.aussieslivingsimply.com.au/forum/homecooked-food-recipe-request/338008-homemade-sauces?limit=15&start=15

Re the spuds, I don’t know if digging them early affects ‘keepability’. It probably would, is my thought on the matter. :shrug:

You certainly can dig them early to eat straight away. Maybe dig a row, which should keep for at least a few weeks, and will allow you to start off your winter veg.

Also can start off winter veg in pots.

Hope someone else can give more certain info on the spuds for you Gumnut. :tup:

GumnutGumnut

Oh dear… Little Miss Impatient (ie me) has just come back from digging up the potatoes in the garden. Will see how I go with storing them (hopefully they’ll last) otherwise if they look like they won’t I will just have to make lots of Gnocchi I guess! On the upside I was VERY excited. I’ve only ever had itty bitty (and not very many) potatoes from the garden before but check these lot out!! All this from an area I would estimate at 1m x 2.5m. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Also cut a little purple one (damaged digging out) open to show you the amazing colour they are inside 🙂

Haven’t even started picking the quinces yet!

Attached files

BobbeeBobbee

Gumnut I am sure they will last quite a while, but while saying that I really don’t actually know :blush: I am trying to make a ‘sort of educated guess’. :blush:

Where the heck are all the potatoe officianados when you need them!!!!!!! :shrug:

I have never seen that kind of purple spud before, aren’t they cute!!!! Ours are more normal shape, purple skin and dark purple flesh like yours. :tup: (That’s if ours are still where I think they are :blush: ).

Thanks for the pics. :clap:

BobbeeBobbee

Talking tomatoes folks!

Has anyone else noticed this or is it peculiar to our garden; all the tomatoes that were properly tied to properly placed support poles, began drying off quite early in the season and are now all but dead. Whilst the tommies I left, because I am a lazy gardener, and which have sprawled all over the ground, are still healthy green shrubs showing no disease and still have healthy ripening tomatoes. :shrug:

What gives??? :shrug:

All comments etc will be read with great interest. :tup:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

I have found that the tomatoes that I lovingly attend to appear to be weaker and die off earlier than the ones I neglect… only the strong survive maybe.

lisannelisanne

I didn’t stake any of my tomatoes this year and I had quite a lot of cherry toms just grow from last years seeds in the soil (even the ones that the hose went over again and again and again) and they are all still going great guns here in Melbourne – it’s really odd

BobbeeBobbee

Gardens are soooooooooooooo good!

Last nights dinner was all home grown; spuds and pumpkin ‘baked’ in the pan on top of the stove plus, white egg plant sliced thick and ‘grilled’ in another pan on top of the stove with green tomatoes, onion, whole long red capsicums, leeks and pumpkin flowers all cooked along side each other.

Added spinach on top of the spuds and pumpkin just to steam under the lid for a few minutes.

We only added raw sea salt and ground pepper for extra flavour.

DELICIOUS!!!!!

PS: Oooops sorry told a whopper then, I added some home made plum sauce to dip some of the spud in, just because I like the plum sauce not because the spud needed pepping up. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.