Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    foodiefoodie
    Participant

Bobbee – I’ve tried the potato/broadbean combination this year, but with late frosts the ground was colder than ever in the shade of the beans, so I’ve totally lost the potatoes that were coming through. Those planted on their own have managed to recover! You win some, you lose some.

I’m not that keen on broadbeans, so I reckon they’ll go back to strickly winter cover & green manure.

BobbeeBobbee

That’s a shame foodie, but like you say ‘you win some and you lose some’.

Our spuds had been mulched once before Mr Bobbs planted the broad beans so the potatoes had quite a bit of growth before the beans got into their stride, so to speak.

Maybe this made the difference. What State are you in, by the way, that is if you live in Aus?

🙂

lmd80lmd80

Hi All, Filling my new veg garden and pulling out oodles of squash, big squash! Zucchini and cucumbers are kicking in too! But I can’t believe the squash that is coming out!!! It is really impressive. Obviously the new garden is a great position :cheer:

BelBel

Beautiful squash and zucchini – nice one! You must have some good bees or other pollinating insects around as well. Looks like the kids hare having a ball 🙂

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

wow those squash look great

Ive been picking roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and zukes, and the usual spinach and silverbeet for the chooks.

leaving the house in a few weeks for perth. I may lose the vegie garden depending on who looks after the animals while we are gone

as long as the animals are fed I’ll try not to stress too much over the plants

kimmysmumkimmysmum

I have LOTS of trouble growing Squash. Frustrating the daylights out of me, but I will try again.

Putting Potatoes in this week. Please let it rain soon

BelBel

kimmysmum post=359105 wrote: I have LOTS of trouble growing Squash. Frustrating the daylights out of me, but I will try again.

Putting Potatoes in this week. Please let it rain soon

What sort of trouble kimmysmum? Have you tried hand-pollinating? I always had trouble with squash rotting and falling off when very small. Once I realised it was a pollination issue, I started hand-pollinating and I get way more than I need now. Also not watering over-head assists with avoiding mildew which I find is always a problem with cucurbits.

Have a great holidays fruit-loopz. We went to Perth and Margaret River last month and had a great time. Likewise with our garden – we had the in-laws look after our beloved chickens and had to live with the fact that we probably wouldn’t get many summer veggies in this year. Hopefully we still get some rain while you’re away and maybe your veggies will pull through.

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

Thanks Bel, first christmas home in 7 years.

kimmysmumkimmysmum

Hi Bel yes I do hand pollinate but never seem to get many girls, The males seem to rule.

BelBel

kimmysmum post=359120 wrote: Hi Bel yes I do hand pollinate but never seem to get many girls, The males seem to rule.

Hmmm. That’s a tough one. No idea what to do then, sorry :shrug:

kimmysmumkimmysmum

I will keep soldiering on My next plan of attack is a new plot just for them with Yellow Marigolds around the edge

porgeyporgey

KM, For the mildew spray with a ten percent milk solution and encourage yellow spotted ladybugs that eat the mildew as well as avoiding overhead watering. For more chicksters I use a good dose of cow poo and compost and sulfate of potash.

kimmysmumkimmysmum

Thank you Porgey I will do that. I have cows up the road so instead of the dogs I will take shovel and bag to collect some of the older pats.

pavbenthpavbenth

froot_loopz post=359103 wrote: wow those squash look great

Ive been picking roma tomatoes and cherry tomatoes and zukes, and the usual spinach and silverbeet for the chooks.

leaving the house in a few weeks for perth. I may lose the vegie garden depending on who looks after the animals while we are gone

I am going to run an experiment after my block settles. I am going to head up there in late January, some compost and manure in tow. I’m going to make rough one-square-metre bed and throw in some seeds, give them a water, and see what happens. I won’t be there again probably for a number of weeks.

porgeyporgey

pavbenth post=359133 wrote:

wow those squash look great

I am going to run an experiment after my block settles. I am going to head up there in late January, some compost and manure in tow. I’m going to make rough one-square-metre bed and throw in some seeds, give them a water, and see what happens. I won’t be there again probably for a number of weeks.

Watering is always a prominent concern over summer especially when your away. I have just started incorporating coir, coconut fibre, into my beds with promising results as it holds water rally well. It’s cheaper than chips and fairly green. Another advantage for me is that it’s fairly acid so reduces my high pH soil. If you have neutral to acid soil just add some dolomite lime when you use coir, if you do.

Viewing 15 posts - 541 through 555 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.