Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    janinecjaninec

It has been pretty nippy here these last two days, time to bring out the long johns at long last! ive been busy planting currents and blueberries along with some fruit trees creating a little forest garden. The winter vegies seem to be growing quite quickly, but weeds seem to be staying in check. It wil be interesting to see if the cold stays or we have more spring like days as we have had in the past month, I even had some comfrey surface and all the seed potatoes I have in the cupboard in the covered in veranda are sprouting like mad, I’m not sure if to plant them nice and deep considering the ones in the vegie patch have just completely died down, help!

BobbeeBobbee

Sprouting spuds are a problem at our place to Janine so Mr Bobbs has planted them and now we wait and see.

Some that he planted even earlier have survived the frosts which is remarkable I believe. AND the pain of it all is that he can’t remember the name of the spuds that survived. And this is the man who writes down everything he plants and draws diagrams etc. Just shows no one is perfect!!! 😆

I was still cutting mature comfrey for mulch and compost and there were young ones coming through at the same time. Gardening is even more of a challenge now it seems to me, with our changing weather patterns.

🙂

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

extended the chook run, the last 5 metres and I planted my first orange tree.

can someone tell me, do valencia’s and navel fruit different times of the year?

janinecjaninec

I haven’t got beds ready yet for my potatoes to go into ek! Ah well they will just have to survive until I am ready. One of my comfrey plants is still in the process of dying down too, weird. veggies seem to be growing quite quickly. this week I’ve planted strawberries, chicory, mizuna, silver beet, spinach and dill.

I am so lucky I have a nursery a short drive away that is run by an old Italian couple who grow all their own plants and seedlings, the most beautiful healthy seedlings are 2.30 a punnet, buy six get one free! I plan on going back this week and picking up a punnet of cabbages. Plants are also very cheap, six inch pots $5.

If anyone is interested here are the details –

Presti Nursery

1726 Ferntree Gully Road

Ferntree Gully Victoria 3156.

BobbeeBobbee

Thanks for that addy Janine. That’s close enough to us to be a possibility.

That’s very cheap for seedling punnets. :tup:

🙂

mistyhollowsmistyhollows

froot_loopz post=357543 wrote: extended the chook run, the last 5 metres and I planted my first orange tree.

can someone tell me, do valencia’s and navel fruit different times of the year?

I have a feeling they all fruit around the same time Spring-Summer but it might depend on the variety :shrug: . I’d just like to actually have my orange trees grow let alone get fruit off them. 😆 Meanwhile my apple trees are growing like the clappers and the mulberry is enormous!

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

thanks mistyhollows.

mmmm mulberries.

BelBel

I always understood valencias to fruit mainly in summer and navels in winter. There are varieties of each that fruit at different times, but I think that’s the general rule of thumb….

BobbeeBobbee

Wow!!!!!

I want to officially notify all and sundry that I DON’T LIKE SUMMER WEATHER, ESPECIALLY HUMID SUMMER WEATHER.

I know we need the heat to ripen foods and make stuff grow but ‘oh dear’ humidity drains me……………………………………..

The snails and Bobbs are in full battle mode which is normal for this time of year I suppose and the white cabbage butterfly are out in battalions already. I am preparing for much hard work this season and of course, with hard work comes rich rewards.

There is nothing quite like gardening for food stuffs with the odd few ‘pretties’ thrown in for good measure, to get me fit, out in the fresh air, working with nature to the best of my abilities and reaping the rewards of good, clean, chemical free, healthy fruit and veg.

Exciting news from my garden, for the first time ever my macadamia tree has flowered so looks like we will have our first ever home grown nuts this winter. Fantastic!!!!!

🙂

Hummer HumbugHummer
    Keymaster

Bobbee post=358836 wrote:

Wow!!!!!

Exciting news from my garden, for the first time ever my macadamia tree has flowered so looks like we will have our first ever home grown nuts this winter. Fantastic!!!!!

🙂

Yummmm! :tup:

Judi BJudi B
    Keymaster

My garden is dying and it has nothing to do with drought things have been slowly dying for the past few years.

The trees all come out in reduced number of leaves that are a bit distorted, not a healthy green they turn yellow then brown… this is happening to roses, mulberries and apricots, the carob has nowhere the number of leaves it used to have, the plum is looking very sick.

The vegie garden well nothing is doing well in there…. I dug it up in winter 2011 when it had dried out enough put in new soil mixed with potting mix and cow manure planted some lettuce and they did OK then I put in some spring onions harvested them last year, this year everything turns up its toes so I dug it up as the soil is totally unwettable even with Wetta-soil and about 75mm down it is white and powdery. Now I don’t know if the flooding caused fungal problems or if the soil has been poisoned from chemicals either way my garden is dying 🙁 🙁 🙁

pavbenthpavbenth

Sorry to hear about your garden, Judi.

Have your checked the PH and salt levels? Also, what does your soil comprise – just potting mix and manure, or..?

froot_loopzfroot_loopz

I was thinking about you the other day bobbee, Ive missed you

its freezing here in adelaide, I just fell asleep in jeans, jumpers and socks under a doona and didnt wake up covered in sweat

sorry to hear about your garden Judy. hope you can find a solution soon

Frugal GirlFrugal Girl

I ‘planted’ some goldfish in big plastic tubs the size of a half barrel in the garden for liquid fertiliser. They seem happy enough and have survived a week. Their water is great fertiliser and it is a cheap way to build a pond. I got one tub for $6 and the other for $11. I don’t think the tubs are UV protected so I have to keep an eye on them. If they begin to crack I will put them in a galvanized garbage bin. I will be adding a couple of solar powered fountains too shortly.

My fruit trees all look happy except I forgot to treat my peach tree for curly leaf (again!). I used up some really old vegie seeds (Use by date about 2004) and they have sprouted! I knew there was a reason I didn’t throw them out.

BobbeeBobbee

Judi B post=358843 wrote: My garden is dying and it has nothing to do with drought things have been slowly dying for the past few years.

The trees all come out in reduced number of leaves that are a bit distorted, not a healthy green they turn yellow then brown… this is happening to roses, mulberries and apricots, the carob has nowhere the number of leaves it used to have, the plum is looking very sick.

The vegie garden well nothing is doing well in there…. I dug it up in winter 2011 when it had dried out enough put in new soil mixed with potting mix and cow manure planted some lettuce and they did OK then I put in some spring onions harvested them last year, this year everything turns up its toes so I dug it up as the soil is totally unwettable even with Wetta-soil and about 75mm down it is white and powdery. Now I don’t know if the flooding caused fungal problems or if the soil has been poisoned from chemicals either way my garden is dying 🙁 🙁 🙁

Sounds so sad Judles, my heart goes out to you……………….and on top of everything else that has been happening in your life it must feel just ‘too much’.

There is a saying that we are never ‘given’ more than we can handle Judi, so you must be seen by ‘The Powers That Be” as someone who is strong enough, capable enough and resilient enough to deal with what most of us would call hell on earth.

Take heart and hang in there, you know the ALS crew think of you and hope for better things for you, so maybe our love, best wishes and hugs can give you a wee lift. Hope so anyway.

I know it can be costly but can you gradually turn your place into a raised garden and large pots garden?

Love and Light,

Bobbs :hug:

Viewing 15 posts - 511 through 525 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.