Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    BobbeeBobbee

Steve post=339283 wrote: I bought some Royal Blue potatoes from Bunnings last August and planted them out. They got the dreaded 28 spot lady birds in them and I thought they died back way to early (from the lady birds). But when I dug the spuds I was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t weigh them but I probably got about half a bag of spuds from 20 tubers.

Do tell Steve! :whistle:

Are they yum. Do you bake, boil, fry ’em, make ’em into tato salad……. :shrug:

:hug:

BobbeeBobbee

BlueWren post=339288 wrote: Way to go Bobbee! :tup: :clap: Are you at all able to post pics? No worries of course if not.Not sure I have ever seen a 1Kg spud!

They are kinda long and thick and some have great bulging bits. Ugly I suppose but their looks in now way detract from the taste. :woohoo:

BobbeeBobbee

Lady B post=339302 wrote: Well done, Bobbee and Mr Bobbs.

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT KIND THEY ARE.

My better half is on a search for a decent spud.

The biggest so far are the desiree spuds, and so delicious. But these were just a sort of added extra, the bit of dug ground was there and we didn’t want it to go to weeds so in went some extra spuds. :shrug:

We didn’t have a good year for potatoes. Early ones (Nicola) were good, but the main crop is pretty ordinary. Not many and those there are are small. We bought seed potatoes from a number of places, some varieties (those we bought from Bunnings) never even grew at all. Very disappointed.

Don’t talk to me about tomatoes. I’m drowning in them.

We have always had quite good growth from Bunnings stuff LadyB. Some failures of course, but never enough to stop us shopping there. :tup:

I can relate to ‘drowning in tomatoes’ :woohoo: I’ve dried them, water bathed them, frozen them, frozen the juice from them and saved the seeds from them and still they come marching into the house in large cardboard boxes or my plastic washing basket. :jawdrop:

This is certainly a good year for tomatoes but we also had some weird things happen with the tommies. I will go on about that later. 😛

What kinds do you grow LadyB?

Lady BeeLady Bee
    Keymaster

I haven’t got time to talk about veg. I’m up to my eyeballs in beans and tomatoes! :ohmy:

Corn went really well too, that’s all canned and frozen. Peaches were lovely, had loads fresh, bottled the rest. Apples about to come on and plums, so full steam ahead on those in the next few days.

SteveSteve
    Keymaster

Hey Bobbs, I liked the Royal Blue potatoes. They have a purple skin with yellow flesh. We had them boiled and sometimes mashed. Probably not an allrounder, they have a slightly drier texture.

My garden has been abandoned lately. Seems to happen at this time of year each year. I normally get it going again in March when I put in a second crop of spuds. I can soon start putting brassicas in again so that will be good.

But I do have sweet potato going mad as well as some trombone pumpkins. And a poor man’s (or lab-lab) bean – it has really gone wild and covered everything else in the garden.

I’ll have to get brave and hack it all back. There could be bodies buried in amongst all that vegetation! 🙂

BobbeeBobbee

Wowee LadyB, go girl go!!! :woohoo:

I do know what you mean, I’m getting attacked by blood plums and I must admit the tommies are building up again. Ah well no one died from preserving I don’t think, not yet anyway. :laugh:

And we’ll reap the benefits later on. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Beans I am pretty hopeless at. I can freeze them but they are ‘orrible and I have just thrown into the compost bags of frozen beans from last year. What a waste! :sick:

This year I am drying them. I am fast becoming very fond of drying veg. :tup:

I want to pickle capsicums using whey, still haven’t read up on it though. I must because the cappies are reddening up at a great rate. It is a good year for them also. Last year we had almost none. :shrug: Can’t work it out. :S

BobbeeBobbee

Steve post=339370 wrote: Hey Bobbs, I liked the Royal Blue potatoes. They have a purple skin with yellow flesh. We had them boiled and sometimes mashed. Probably not an allrounder, they have a slightly drier texture.

My garden has been abandoned lately. Seems to happen at this time of year each year. I normally get it going again in March when I put in a second crop of spuds. I can soon start putting brassicas in again so that will be good.

But I do have sweet potato going mad as well as some trombone pumpkins. And a poor man’s (or lab-lab) bean – it has really gone wild and covered everything else in the garden.

I’ll have to get brave and hack it all back. There could be bodies buried in amongst all that vegetation! 🙂

OK Steve, you must have known I’d ask, what’s a lab-lab bean? And don’t you dare say poor man’s bean, I would like a proper answer please. :laugh:

The spuds sound interesting. Somewhere near the original cats cage there are some purple spuds still popping up each year and I still haven’t harvested them. Promised some to Woz so must dig them up one year :blush: :S

They have purple skin and deep purple flesh. :S I couldn’t stomach them first time around when one of my many sisters-in-law gave them to me but I am much braver now than then. I might like them now. Must go have a look. :laugh:

I can relate to the hacking into the jungle bit, mind you I usually do the ‘poor little old lady’ bit and get out of some of the worst of the jobs on our couple of acres. :laugh: Doesn’t always work though. :S

BobbeeBobbee

Well I have a pic of a few tomatoes. I’m not saying what they are until I see if the right pic comes up. :shrug:

If it turns out to be a pic of something else please close your eyes until I manage to get rid of it please. :woohoo:

Oh my goodness how did that get there. First of all I had a ginormous pic and thought I would blow up the thread, then I clicked on a couple of things and made the pic smaller but I don’t know how it came up on the thread. Oh dear oh dear!!! :blush:

Ok well those tommies aren’t the big ones I was telling you about. But the deep yellow goldie colour ones are the Kellogs Beefsteak, very yum. The pale looking one on the left is the Great White, also very yum.

At the front is the pink with green stripey one which seems to have slipped past me somehow, it must be the bi colour one, I forget the name, I’ll have to look at the other post. :blush:

BobbeeBobbee

Here I am again, what a surprise!

The stripey one has to be either Aunty Ruby’s German Green or the Big Rainbow or something like that name. :shrug:

Whaddaya reckon??????

Now I am quite shaken up by that pic posting episode and I need my vinegar and water drink an p’raps a quiet lie down. :S

GumnutGumnut

Wow those are amazing!! :clap: Glad to hear the Kellogg’s are good as I’ve just ordered seed in preparation for the next growing season. Have also ordered Black cherry, Arkansas Traveller, Cherokee Purple and Tigerella.

kerriebkerrieb

Buckets of tomatoes here.

Siberian nearly finished

Ed’s Red (grosse lisse size but much more flavour) 4′ vines Ed is not sure on the actual variety he’s been growing the same strain for 40 years.

tigerella DH eats them like fruit

Wild sweetie ho hum so small that so one is that fussed with them.

Washpis…. peach blah taste won’t grow them again.

Beans we’ve been picking a few scarlet runners. I like mixing my climbing beans together for fun but found that my purple king didn’t like being mixed with these. So my yield this year overall for beans are pretty ordinary. The late trellis of purple king are just starting to produce.

No pumpkins yet 🙁

I picked a couple of cantaloupe last week.

The tromolino (?) sp running zucchinis are prolific I’m going to grow them again as they don’t seen to go soggy as quickly when cooked as normal ones. Lots of mini capsicums here ATM as well.

porgeyporgey

I had a mountain of spuds this season but all quite small. I much prefer less spuds of bigger size like Bobbees. I think I added to much potash to early so will have to refine that.

Overall not totally happy with the veg gardens performance. But as I spent so much time and effort trying to dig a pond and create new garden beds and less time building up the soil in the existing beds I am not totally surprised.

Got some good tomatoes but only the cherry size ones came to the party as the bush rats had a good chow down on my beefsteakes. The two beefsteakes that I managed to save where totally yum so will have to trellis them better next year. The two determinate toms where a shambles as I think they got to little sun due to a quicker growing Anzac Peach.

The young AP was a ripper after removing all the small fruit last year to encourage tree growth. The birds love peaches so I picked them slightly unripe but they came to the party thanks to a ripe banana.

I planted about 56 Cucurbits in early summer with mixed results. The Zuchinis’ and Squash both produced lovely fruit but low yield, yet the other C. pepos, namely Wee B Little Pumpkins, had a cracker of a season. They were all in the same bed but the repeated fruiting of the Z&S depleted the soil whereas the soil for the once only fruiting of the Pumpkins was sufficient. I find it intriguing how the same species can vary so much in shape, size, colour, texture, taste, growing pattens, yield etc. The Butternut Pumpkins (C. moschata) are a bit dismal. They have been my best performers over the years but this season they expressed there stubborn and adolesent genes and did there own thing. The grand prize of all my Cucurbits goes to the Pink Banana Pumpkins (C. maxima) grown from seeds kindly supplied by Bobbee. A bit of an after thought as I found them late in the caper they sprung to life with the addition of the smelliest horse manure I have ever wafted and the leachate form an adjacent compost heap. I am also guessing that as they have longer and stronger roots they have benefited from the crushed gravel and bio char layer that the new bed sits on. They are all most ready to pick so will post some pics later. The Golden Nuggets (more red than golden) did okay but one has crossed with Bobbess PBP and looks like a colourful & lumpy giant poo.

Cant go past Lazy House Wife Beans. Great yield, great taste and so easy to grow. The yellow Bush Beans that Hummers kindly swapped with me grew really well, surprisingly quickly, and taste great.

Am still pleased with the Lebanese Cucumbers & most of the Beetroot, sad about the lettuce letting the salad bowl down but the carrots have added some lovely colours, although slightly bitter.

Looking forward to the cooler months and some Brassicas but the next 6 months will be devoted to building up the soil for next Spring & Summer.

One of Bobbees Beauties. 530mm Long, 530mm circumference, 6Kilograms.

BobbeeBobbee

Hey Porgey, it’s nice to see a pic of a pbp wot came from here. Ours are lots more yellow than yours but shape is the same. Mind you the shape varies from pumpking to pumpkin too. :tup:

I’m interested in the different types of veg folk are growing, I haven’t heard of lots of them. Like Gumnuts tomatoes, the only one I have heard of is the tigerella.

And Kerrie’s washpi’s and the tromolino zucchini. I forgot to plant zucchini :blush:

this year, so have 2 wee plants on the go now. If the autumn is a mild one I might get a few fruit from those. Still have dried zucchini from last year though. I do like drying as the finished product takes up so little room. :tup:

Porgey do you think we could have a pic of the colourful and lumpy giant poo?

I’ll get some help to post pics of our cross breed pumpkins at a later date, if I can.

Those yellow bush beans are beauties, taste really good and sweet when young I reckon, and they are very forgiving. Whe neglected or the season doesn’t seem right they turn into equally yum climbing beans. 🙂

Got some more spud stories for you later, better tune in LadyB as we have another winner. :tup:

porgeyporgey

Giant Lumpy Poo Pummy.

Its Interesting to note that the hybrid offspring on the left has picked up various characteristics from Dad in the middle and Mum on the right. This is the first season I have grown these varieties so tasting will be interesting as will the offspring of Giant Lumpy Poo Pummy that I will try and grow next summer.

carolfcarolf

Hi Bobbee, was a terrible year for us here as far as veg’s go.

Most of my seeds came from Earth Garden.

Beans didn’t do any good

Zucchini only one plant out of 3 done any good

Squash i ended up pulling out and going to the nursery to get some more, but they also have been pretty average.

Tomatoes from Earth garden didn’t do any good.

Italian Tomato seeds that hubby got at Seymour field day done very average.

Pumpkin no good. 2 pumpkin on 5 bushes.

Potatoes done ok.

Don’t think i will grow from seed anymore, just buy plants from the nursery.

So overall really disappointing this year to the point of wondering if it is all worth all the work and effort that goes into it. 🙁

Not sure what has caused all this maybe the weather has hasn’t been very kind.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.