Skip to toolbar

Aussies Living Simply

DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Home Forums FOOD PRODUCTION, HARVEST AND STORAGE Vegetables DO YA WANNA TALK GARDENING?

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 715 total)
  • Author
    porgeyporgey

Thanks Bobbs. The third photo shows a flat wide bean so it is probably Poor Man’s Bean, which is pretty apt really. I still have quite a few climbing Lazy Housewife & Pioneer bush beans so not all is lost. I really hope that next spring/summer I can get a whole lot of different beans going but I need mountains of preparation first to boost the soil.

Any soil boosting tips? I dont have a big budget, in fact its very little, but I have 9 months until october to really get the patch in good nick for what I hope is a cracker of a season.

BobbeeBobbee

Oh darn and gosh and all that!!!!!! 🙁

Sorry porgey I blame my poor eye sight for not seeing the beans, I do see them now you mention it. Yep, Poor man’s bean it is. 🙁

I never picked them young, maybe you can see if young ones pass the taste test, also it would be worth trying pickling or fermenting them I should think. We are getting into the fermenting of veg ie kimchi and though it may well be an acquired taste the health benefits are said to be so good that it is worth a try.

I had chopped up fermented lemon and some kimchi on my salad last night and it tasted sooooo good. :tup:

Can’t beat chooken poo for soil boosting properties I always say although I suppose most animal/bird poo will do the garden good.

For lack of funds or over-stretched funds though let the worms do the work, just a bit different to your tomato idea, wet the ground and wet cardboard or whole newspapers and lay them on the wet ground. Keep damp.

It’s like putting out the welcome mat for worms.

I am so sorry about those damned beans porglett. :hug:

:hug:

porgeyporgey

Absolutely no drama about the Beans Bobbs. They have provided good afternoon shade for the shed and will be great as compost material if they are not so tasty. When planning what to plant I insist on determining at least five uses for each plant. Hummerssss Poor Man’s beans have the following;

Provide shade,

Deep root a new small garden bed,

Look nice,

Created a cool wall,

habitat for insects, and

Will be good compost material,

a food source,

a decorative bean for my empty 1 litre two buck chuck bottles,

great green manure bean etc.

So even though they may not be that tasty they are very useful.

BelBel

If you’re looking for some more bean seeds Porgey, I have scarlett runners, blue lake, rattlesnake (a purple-flecked green stringless bean) and snake beans…. Not a big fan of scarlett runners for eating, but they are very pretty. Ok if eaten young, but not my faves.

porgeyporgey

Thanks Bel, thats very kind. I will put my thinking cap on and decide what can go where as I wont to change a few things in the patch. I have my two favourite beans, climbing Lazy Housewife & Pioneer bush, that you are most welcome to as well as Yin Yang and the aforementioned Poor Man’s Bean. In addition the sweet corn have been great this year so you are most welcome to a cob as well as some really good tomatoes that have been the best I’ve grown.

WombatWombat

Hi Guys,

I have yet to find a climbing bean that we like, something about the flavour. One year I even grew a crop of “Lazy Wife” beans on the insistence of Mrs Wombat! But still no go…..

Nev

porgeyporgey

Hi Nev, I find LHes really good as they are so prolific and easy to grow. Taste wise I am quite happy with them, however, for taste Pioneer Bush beans are the bees knees imho.

BobbeeBobbee

Wombat post=354081 wrote: Hi Guys,

I have yet to find a climbing bean that we like, something about the flavour. One year I even grew a crop of “Lazy Wife” beans on the insistence of Mrs Wombat! But still no go…..

Nev

Hi Nev, :wave: Have you tried purple king beans?

BobbeeBobbee

Question to the porglett, those little black bean seeds you planted porgles, were they kidney bean shaped or kinda roundish with a little bit of white going around the outside?

Can you remember? :blink:

😆 I’m still trying to wind back time and work out what happened wif da beeenz!!!

😆

BelBel

porgey post=354075 wrote: Thanks Bel, thats very kind. I will put my thinking cap on and decide what can go where as I wont to change a few things in the patch. I have my two favourite beans, climbing Lazy Housewife & Pioneer bush, that you are most welcome to as well as Yin Yang and the aforementioned Poor Man’s Bean. In addition the sweet corn have been great this year so you are most welcome to a cob as well as some really good tomatoes that have been the best I’ve grown.

No worries Porgey – I try to save seed every season, so should have plenty if/when you decide you want them. Bush beans are a failure in my garden for some reason – possibly due to heavy soil and/or mites. Climbing beans go great guns. I’d def. love a cob of corn and some of your great tomato seeds when it gets to that time.

Nev – have you tried rattlesnake, blue lake or regular snake beans as climbers? I find them all to be quite tasty – only a problem when left to grow too big and the beans inside get a bit touch.

porgeyporgey

@ Bobbebetiester; the beans were/are black with a white trim. They are a lovely looking bean and contrast beautifully with LH white beans.

@ Bel; pity that bush beans are a failure as I find the really handy. Have you tried Pioneer? A cob should be fine and I will start collecting some seed from the tommies asap.

@ Nev; quit your whinging son and eat your beans! 🙂

BobbeeBobbee

Ok that clears it all up for me porgerator, they are definately poor man’s beans and I should not have passed those to Hummers. 🙁

They were sent to me by mistake I guess, by another alser, were meant to be 7 year beans but obviously weren’t/aren’t. :S

Hmmmmmm………..I still have a few, wonder who I can kerflummox with some beans. 👿

porgeyporgey

No problems Bobbsa, as I wrote they are a nice looking bean and have various other uses.

BobbeeBobbee

We’ve had 15+ mm of rain spread over a couple of days and it has been just heavenly. The last storm and rain has cleared away the humidity for which I am most grateful.

Now back to sunny skies, breezes and heading to about a week, supposedly, of low 30’s heat. I can handle that ok and the gardens should be back in full production so that will be great.

We are drying seed as it’s that time of the season, there’s always something to be done in the garden and I really enjoy plodding along doing something good for the planet and the people.

Had a neighbour drop in this morning asking if I had any tomatoes to spare, which of course I have. Handed over a bundle and she said she had been about to buy some at the shops and then decided to ask us for some because the last lot we shared with her made the best tomato and onion pie she has ever made.

Said the taste was so much better than those bought at the shops there was no comparison. That was nice to hear, as if I didn’t already know that but…… it seems to take a while with some folk for the ‘penny’ to drop.

Maybe she will put in a few veg next season or maybe a winter veg patch, who knows.

lavmanlavman

:laugh: I would love to only have 15ml, we are getting hammered again, we’ve had at least 257ml since Monday, I say ‘at least’ because I don’t think I wrote down every time that I emptied the rain gauge and my neighbours are saying that they have had a lot more than that.

We got out of the house and into the garden for awhile this morning when the rain eased, started weeding a couple of beds that are getting way overgrown and found a heap of Giant Russian Cucumbers under the weeds that we didn’t know we had so I will scoop out the seeds and dry them, we will have plenty if anyone wants some.

Here’s your :tup: that I promised Bobbee.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 715 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.